Road Glide banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So last Saturday I do my PM. Oil, tranny, primary, oil filter, check the air filter/tires, go through the checklist in the service manual, I thought. Found an issue with the clutch cable rubbing, but the service guy at the dealership said it would be ok for a few months so I will take it in under my ESP in November or December when the riding season slows. Anyway, I'm cruising home last night on the slab, get to my exit, and when I go to downshift the pedal is rattling around loose, look down and the linkage and come off the shifter shaft. I may not be using the proper terms here, but I hope it makes sense. No idea, guess as I was looking everything over I didn't notice, or didn't look at it when I was trying to "check all fasteners". Anyway, loosened the nut a little, slipped it about halfway back on because that's all the further it would go without something to put behind it to hold it in place. Burnt my hand in about 5 or 6 spots, but she got me home. Funny thing is a couple of months ago a guy down the street had the same issue and I helped him get his back together (he isn't a DIY type of guy, but he is good at cleaning and keeps his spotless), so you think I would have known to check this.

·
Administrator
10,496 Posts
If you still have the stock linkage on there , it is just waiting to fall off , either keep the stock rod and put heim joints on the ends or get a new rod ..

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you still have the stock linkage on there , it is just waiting to fall off , either keep the stock rod and put heim joints on the ends or get a new rod ..
It's the stock rod. It just slid off the shaft that goes through the primary. Nothing broke. The strange thing is, I had to loosen the set screw to get it back on. It has me dumbfounded

1 - 3 of 3 Posts