Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I already have Bassani DNT slip-ons and I got my FP3 connected, but what I'm doing next has got me excited...…..

-Putting in an S & S 475c cam with the upgraded oil pump and cam plate
-15 Spoke Inverted heavy breather air cleaner
-Decatting stock head pipe & converting it into a 2 into 1 (blocking off the crossover), leaving the left side slip-on as a ghost pipe
-remapping FP3 for all that non-sense.

Decatting the stock head pipe and converting it into a 2 into 1 is an experiment of sorts. I'll be documenting the mods and posting up on my youtube channel but if that doesn't give sufficient results I'll be looking into something else. Maybe a D&D fat cat 2 into 1 or even some 2 - 1 - 2 V&H power duals.

This is first time I've put cams in a bike so I'm looking forward to it but any tips on install would be helpful. I've seen a few videos already with the J&P cycles video being the best I've seen so far

Stay tuned!!!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Awesome man!!! You will have a huge shitty grin when it all comes together and starts up for the first time. I know the gutted head pipe is a so called free mod but I would spring for a D&D. That's just me though. Don't forget a set of S&S lifters, adjustable pushrods and the cam bearings. Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
(y) Anxious to hear your venture into that 2-1 stock pipe. I've heard it flows plenty good and someone correct me if Im wrong can support around 120hp

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome man!!! You will have a huge shitty grin when it all comes together and starts up for the first time. I know the gutted head pipe is a so called free mod but I would spring for a D&D. That's just me though. Don't forget a set of S&S lifters, adjustable pushrods and the cam bearings. Good luck!
Yep yep. I got the whole kit and even ponied up for the tools needed to do the swap.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
(y) Anxious to hear your venture into that 2-1 stock pipe.
For sure. stay tuned. I've read a few things here and there and even noticed that Bassani actually sells an eliminator block off kit to convert into a 2 into 1. So if Bassani makes it that leads me to believe that they think it's sort of a good idea too.

But I will for sure let you guys know how it goes. Cams come in on the 14th so I'll probably be putting them in that weekend coming up.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Don't block the cross over completely. Use a step cone in the back end of the collector. It directs the main flow to the right can, but lets it use the left can when exhaust volume exceeds the flow of the right can. With those 75's it will bring the torque on sooner.

You can see it in the collector of the pipe this guy shows. He talks a little about it at about 1m40s

Collector insert

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Have you considered getting the bike dyno tuned professionally? You are putting a lot of time and money into this. You don't want to be fighting a tune that is not going to make the bike run as good as it can. Its not about squeezing everything out of it, but having it run properly. if you do have it tuned you would need to by a tuner obviously.
As for making the pipe into a 2-1, that's a new one to me. Everything I have read on the M8 on the tech forum says they are very exhaust sensitive. Meaning the system can either make or break the output .
Either way enjoy the process. Its a lot of fun to do the work yourself

Reactions: Bevis

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes ^. I just want to give this a try to document it and see what results are generated out of it. You know footage for the channel...haha.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I installed the S&S 465 torque cam, oil pump & cam support plate kit (tappets, pushrods, tappet guides) as well. Of course that included a full exhaust system, intake and wideband O2 sensors + a Power Vision tuner. I also installed the AIMS clutch slave cylinder & primary breather vent.......I had significant oil transmission-to-primary migration before this vent!!

CAUTIONARY ADVICE: The old pushrod tube bases (or 'lifter covers') fasteners are highly prone to either strip out in the engine case or the fasteners themselves can break. It took me a couple of hours to remove these 8 fasteners safely using Kroil and patience. Lots of horror stories about these 8 fasteners. I'm one of 'em.

I wasn't impressed with the performance for the coin spent on the cam. I was 100% impressed with the quality! I'm also much more comfortable knowing the oil pump and cam support plate are much more structural and functional. I sleep better at night.

Super easy install! You'll love the S&S quality....great choice! I'd highly suggest the wideband sensors when you can afford them for the added tuning and fueling compensation abilities if the FP3 will support wideband. Read up online about the wideband vs narrowband if you haven't already. I actually had to have my bike retuned twice after the initial install and now my bike runs super clean!

Have fun! It's a fun install!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
You’re going be stoked Paul. I agree with BH#103 ... getting the upgrading lifters, guides, adjustable push rods, cam bearings will be worth it while you’re in there. I would definitely get the D&D 2-1 Billie Cat with Louvered baffle. Since you live in Texas and possibly close to D&D I’d consider having him Dyno tune it. You could also pick Smarty’s brain on a set up and Dyno option. Good luck with the build. You and the Wife while love the added power. Looking forward to the YouTube update with the smile on your face.

Reactions: Paul's Road Glide

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So...……..got it all buttoned up and I won't spoil the fun part just yet but when I turned it on and went out to ride it around the neighbor it started spewing oil. I get it back home and notice its coming from both the front and rear of the tops of the pushrods. I wait for it to cool down to collapse the covers and check the O-rings. everthing appears to be in place so I build them back up and go for a second ride thinking maybe the o-ring was pinched or dislodged and still it leaks.

I've been in touch with S&S and hopefully they get back with me but tonight when I get home from work I'm going to pull the pushrods out completely and take a good hard look.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Well my confidence of doing the cam swap myself just took a hit lol. Sucks to hear about your troubles. Hopefully it is something simple and you are able to get it figured out quick and can start enjoying the new cam.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha!!, well following instructions and cross referencing videos it wasn't all that bad. I'm sure it's only got a to be a o-ring issue. I think but just curious if someone else has gone thru this.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Not sure this is possible, been awhile since I've played with Harley pushrods but the old upper o rings aren't still stuck in the head are they? Like I said not completely sure it's possible to stuff more than one o rings in there. I know from experience the upper o rings like to stay in the head.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm pretty sure I pulled out 4 o ring from the top but I was tired and it's not beyond me to have thought that I did. definitely going back in and I ordered a whole new set of O-rings just in case I pinched it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
So...……..got it all buttoned up and I won't spoil the fun part just yet but when I turned it on and went out to ride it around the neighbor it started spewing oil. I get it back home and notice its coming from both the front and rear of the tops of the pushrods. I wait for it to cool down to collapse the covers and check the O-rings. everthing appears to be in place so I build them back up and go for a second ride thinking maybe the o-ring was pinched or dislodged and still it leaks.

I've been in touch with S&S and hopefully they get back with me but tonight when I get home from work I'm going to pull the pushrods out completely and take a good hard look.
Happened to me also. Leaked like a siv first trip out so took everything apart and all was good, got it back together and let it heat cycle in the drive. Braved another short trip and hasn't leaked since.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
(y) Anxious to hear your venture into that 2-1 stock pipe. I've heard it flows plenty good and someone correct me if Im wrong can support around 120hp
Thought I’d share how I’m temporarily blocking off the crossover pipe to creat the 2 into 1. In the first picture I cut a small washer into 3 pieces and welded those on the inside of the crossover outlet about 1/8” deep from the edge. This allowed me to place a washer that fits the inside diameter of it, as shown. From the inside I used a larger washer that blocks the passage and secured it all together with a bolt that has an Allen head on it and back out with a lock washer and nut as well as adding a 2nd nut to lock the first one. The cat is removed and is definitely louder with an awesome roar to it. I only was able to get into 3rd gear because i noticed the leak from the pushrod covers but it seems to mellow out a little while riding. The 475c cams have a great lope sound to them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Nice work...you've really done that pipe up! I like that you're able to easily revert it back if for some reason you wanted to.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Anybody seen this residue on the surface where the upper o-ring for the pushrods go?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts