Road Glide banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Is it raised and rough or flat and smooth? It's just the coloring of the o rings transferring to the metal of the head but can leave a surface that is not completely flat. Clean it up with some brake kleen and put in the new o-rings you have. Also make sure you are lubricating the o rings with oil when installing them. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
You know when I put in the pushrods and tubes I was really tired. I really should have stopped for the day, relax and come back to it the next day. Anyways, so I went back yesterday and pulled the pushrods out to inspect the all the O-rings (all 3 sets), the pushrod tubes for any damage, and really stuck up a light on the seating area of the cylinder heads. Everything looked A.O.K. The discoloration was flat and now raised at all so I cleaned really good, BUT...…….I don't recall lubricating the upper O-rings. I really don't know if I did or not but something tells me I put those in dry.

So this go around I was very meticulous on each and every step. I even think I adjusted the pushrods better this time than last time. lubed the seat area as well as each o-ring generously and even did a few other things that could possible help the O-rings seat well.

Really after inspecting all the parts and rubber very closely I feel confident nothing is wrong with the actual parts but rather my application of them on the first go around. I won't know if I got it right until this evening but I will post back here regardless of the outcome.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Overall I think it was a moderate install job. It's more about paying attention to small details like o-ring placement and torque values. I could confidently do this again and no it will come out with good results. I've rebuilt/built two other motorcycles but they were just project side bikes and I was less apprehensive with those than this bike which is almost my daily rider.

Best advice I can give is depending on what all you are doing at once (in my case decat, intake, cams) do it in sections, take breaks, and do not work if your tired. Everythign will come out a-ok.

·
Registered
186 Posts
@Paul's Road Glide Hey man......I had that exact thing happen to me. It was only one single knicked O-ring.

I was in a damn hurry so I went to my local HD shop and bought a new set of MoCo O-rings. They fit the S&S pushrod tubes just fine - viola, problem solved. It was a tiny knick too.....had to flex the O-ring to find the knick....crazy!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts