Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about 5'6 I was just wondering if any of you guys are as or shorter than I. If you are what kind of shield are you running and such seat feat on ground issues thanks guys!

Russ

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Russ ,What year bike you got ? I'm 5'10" but only have a 30" inseam. I switched over to the 2011 FLTRX seat . This droped me an inch from the stock 2010 seat and put both of my feet flat on the floor.

Harley also has a lowering custom seat for the RGs. I think it's narrower and a little less padded than stock.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Took the stock RGU and had it reworked. Lowered 1 inch... tapered in with gel pack. Very happy with the outcome plus I have solid footing. All other HD replacement seats were not the same size as the Road Glide Ultra

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just bit the bullet I'm currently in Afghanistan but I have a pre order on a 2012 modle with the 103''. What type of shield do you use?

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Just bit the bullet I'm currently in Afghanistan but I have a pre order on a 2012 modle with the 103''. What type of shield do you use?
Congratulations and thanks for serving!

You can probably get by with a 12 inch shield. I'm 5'10''and have the klock works 12inch dark shield.

Welcome

Sent from the Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Stay safe over there and thanks for serving.

Did you order the Ultra or Custom ? The Custom is all ready factory lowered. Shorter shocks and a lower seat.

I use a 12" Windvest. I sit tall on the bike and the top of the shield comes to about my chin. I would probably recomend a 10" Windvest for someone your height .

You really need to dial in on the seat first then pick your wind screen. An inch up or down makes a big difference with the screens protection on you

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
So I'm about 5'6 I was just wondering if any of you guys are as or shorter than I. If you are what kind of shield are you running and such seat feat on ground issues thanks guys!

Russ
i'm shorter than you, 5'4'' on a good day. i'm using the hd windsplitter shield, a danny grey speed cradle seat, and a set of bitchin baggers reworked hd shocks at 11-1/4''.

i'm still not totally flat footed, but that's not the goal i'm looking for. i have good purchase on the ground, and still have a decent ride (though not as good as our 13'' shocked brethren)

and thanks for serving. come home safe. 21 years army here (retired in 07).....

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I'm 5"7" with the 30 inch inseam, and like Deuce I run the 2010 CVO SG seat, looks good and its comfy, and it drops you down, but I only run the 8" KlockWerks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
5'9" here w/30" inseam. No mods to seat or suspension on a '11 custom. I am flatfooted at lights, no problem. My HD boots give me another inch, I would say. I am running a 12" wind vest, and I probably have enough clearance to go up to a 14" and still look over it. But I like the look of the 12" and the ever so slight buffeting is now annoying enough for me to change to a higher one.

Thanks for your service to our country. Come home safe.

Mylo

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Russ
Don't worry about your height Russ. I'm 5'7. The Good Lord made only so many perfect people. The rest he made tall!! :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the replys guys, its a custom that i have on wait. Ill look into that cvo seat then work on the screen later thanks all.

Russ

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Don't worry about your height Russ. I'm 5'7. The Good Lord made only so many perfect people. The rest he made tall!! :D
Not sure I agree with that but when it comes to RG shields ... you shorter guys have an advantage - you can run shorter shields that look better!

Pros and cons to every situation! ;)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I'm 5'6" (5'7" on a good day. :)) 29" inseam. I'm running a 12" windvest on a '10 model. I see over it plenty and could prolly use a little taller one because I do ride sitting up and not bent over too tho.

Right now I'm working with a lower seat before I worry about changing shields.

Ricky

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks brother, Words can't express...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm 5'8" on a good day with a 29" inseam. I went with the HD reduced reach seat which not only lowered me another couple inches but moved me forward a bit so my short stubby arms are more comfy on the bars. Put on the HD wind splitter shield which just about the perfect height.

My problem is when my girlfriend rides on back, the passenger pegs and her feet want to be right where my feet and calves need to be to sit flat footed on the ground. Really only a problem for mounting and dismounting, but makes it a bit more challenging than it ought to be. Think we need those adjustable offset passenger pegs to get them lower and further back.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Im 5'4" with a 28inseam but with boots it adds an inch. It seems that IllinoisCheesehead is the only person that just used a lower seat without any modifications to the shocks.

Being as shorat as I am. I wanted to do a similar setup without having to modify the shock. I'm also a cheap bastard too.

I was wondering if the sides were narrower with the reduced reach seat.

I just have a hard time with backing up the bike since I am on the balls of my feet. (No, I don't have balls on my feet)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts