Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 30K on my Glide,which I bought used. I have no idea what kind of oil is in it. I like Valvoline 20W-50 synthetic for V twins. My walmart has this as cheap as HD sells dino oil. What I ran in my Stratoliner pretty faithfully. I have two quarts of it left and I would love to run it in my HD, but I have heard horror stories about stuff leaking like mad after you do that. Is there any problem switching to a synthetic at this point in time?

Also I have another question. The Harley uses three oils. The engine oil in theory will not mix with the primary. So is the old thing about using motorcycle oil only (because of friction modifiers contaminating the clutch) still relevant? Reason I ask is my Walmart sells Mobil 1 20W50 synthetic for cars for 18 bucks a jug. This stuff was actually JASO rated. But a Yamaha dealer scared me witless when they found out. I never had a better oil, my Yamaha ran so cool and quiet with this stuff I thought it was a miracle. Never had another oil as good, but I found the Valvoline was close.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Million different opinions. I run synthetic Amsoil in my engine, a primary oil, and Belray gear saver 75/140.

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
Automobile oil will work fine in the bike , I ran it in my Harleys for years ..

I too liked the Valvoline VR1 20-50 full synthetic ( blue oil is cool to boot ) , but couldn't find it here anymore ..

There are lots of primary oils out there , but unless you have a highly modified clutch pac , the Harley Formula + will do fine ..

There are lots of great trans oils available as well , I prefer Bel Ray or Redline with shock proof ..

My suggestion is , any top branded 20-50 in the motor , Formula + in the primary and a good TRANS oil in the transmission

The dealer skeered you , cause , naturally , he had on the shelf , just what you needed

JtB

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I use Amsoil 20/50 in the engine and primary,and severe gear in the trans.No issues here in either bike,and almost 100k on the 02.

the "switch to synthetic and leak" myth has been around a long time.About the only way that might happen is if the gaskets are all sealed with sludge,in which case the whole engine would be full of sludge anyway,and I doubt that's the case with your bike.Conventional oil doesn't handle heat very well,tends to burn,as in turbocharged applications.When I buy an older Saab turbo,for instance,I have to drop the oil pan and clean the coke build up out of it before it clogs the oil pickup.If the car was ran on syn,there isn't any.

the reason I bring this up,is because turbo's get hot,as do air cooled engines,and the oil needs to be able to handle that without breaking down.

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
well ya go back to the early shovelheads or earlier and it is very possible for syn to seep out

I have a budd who has a half dozen "real" Indians that he rides regularly .

Syn actually seeps through the motor cases on his 1940 Scout

JtB

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Automobile oil will work fine in the bike , I ran it in my Harleys for years ..

I too liked the Valvoline VR1 20-50 full synthetic ( blue oil is cool to boot ) , but couldn't find it here anymore ..

There are lots of primary oils out there , but unless you have a highly modified clutch pac , the Harley Formula + will do fine ..

There are lots of great trans oils available as well , I prefer Bel Ray or Redline with shock proof ..

My suggestion is , any top branded 20-50 in the motor , Formula + in the primary and a good TRANS oil in the transmission

The dealer skeered you , cause , naturally , he had on the shelf , just what you needed

JtB
I agree w/ JTB..........I run a good Syn 20/50 in my oil case, Harley's Formula + for my Primary and I use Redline w/ Shock proof in the tranny.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
well ya go back to the early shovelheads or earlier and it is very possible for syn to seep out

I have a budd who has a half dozen "real" Indians that he rides regularly .

Syn actually seeps through the motor cases on his 1940 Scout

JtB
so that's a case of porous castings then?

·
Registered
210 Posts
No worries with synthetic in any modern harley. I run Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin oil. I can get it at AutoZone or Advanced Auto locally for a few bucks less than the HD oil. You can also order it from Amazon usually for $9.99 a quart.

Mobil 1 V-twin is pretty easy to get and it is better & cheaper than any of the HD products plus it is manufactured for V-twin engines. The regular automotive oils will work OK, but if you are concerned enough to ask the question I suspect you want the right stuff.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,599 Posts
the automobile oils are fine , they just want you to pay twice as much for the same oil with a motorsickle label on it .. If you change it regularly like you should , it works fine

JtB

·
Registered
7,280 Posts
Atlanta HD. They sell Amsoil for $13.95 & Redline for $14.95 &Take 15%-20% off of that. I stocked up for the next 4 services.. LoL.. I can let you know when they announce their next sale. They had a 15% last Thursday-Saturday and gave you back $10 for every $50 you spend.. The catch to that is, you have to spend that money with in the 7 days of the following week.. Not a bad deal to me..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
I use Mobil 1 20w50 V-Twin oil in the engine and the primary and Mobil 1 75w140 synthetic gear lube in the tranny and the Mobil 1 products work good for me. The Valvoline products have a good reputation so if it is the product you would like to use than you should. I like using the Mobil 1 products because you can get them at just about any auto parts or at any Wal-mart and I don't need to carry oil with me on long road trips, if I need oil I can just buy it and it is easy to get. You should have no problems switching to a synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Fairly certian the "switch to synthetic and it will leak" originated back in the late 70s, early 80s when Mobil came out with the Graphite stuff. Probably the other part of that equation was old cars that ran non-detergent oils would hold oil because of the sludge build up. Then synth (The graphite shit is the one I rememeber specifically) was put in and it would clean the sludge up and the gaskets would leak like sieves. The Mobil stuff was black and it was very obvious when it leaked. Ah the good old days... :) Oh yeah and it made roller bearings skate from lack of traction. :D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts