Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for sugestions on in-helmet speakers, either BT or not, volume control and a mic to answer the phone would be nice but not necessary. I am just looking for an easy way to listen to my tunes with my FF helmet, no need for intercom or CB, I am thinking the Sena and similar systems are a little overkill.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I'm happy with the factory headset that came with the ultra. Bought one off here for the wife and don't have any complaints. That said, Since I put the RF 300x2pbr and kappas in the fairing, I hardly use the helmet system anymore unless I'm touring with the wife or a group of buddy's and we need to communicate!

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
The J&M elite headsets are excellent and John's service after the sale is terrific.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Why not just a set of ear buds? You can get wired ones that will fit like they aren't there or some BT ones fit. I have Back Beats to go 2 BT ones that fit under a helmet but I really only use them with 1/2 helmet. I like the simplicity of having a system in the helmet. Just take helmet off or put it on. No forgetting to put ear buds in your ears, they shift,etc.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
Ear buds set with my Sena works great.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you just want to listen to tunes, I don't think you can beat the audio quality or simplicity of ear buds. We used just the ear buds for years and they worked well. My only suggestion is make sure you get the best fit you can and the sturdiest cords. Cords that eventually break have always been the biggest short-coming in my experience.

Prior to a couple of weeks ago we always just plugged the ear buds into the Ultra audio system using a 1/8th inch stereo plug to 7 pin adapter.

We recently bought a couple of J&M headsets so that my wife could verbally express her desires, which has also allowed some of my bruises to fade. The headsets work great with the on board audio system; but, we did not install the in-helmet speakers and opted to continue using the ear buds plugged into the adapter J&M provided.

Hope this helps.

tj

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Currently I use a set of ear buds plugged to my phone but the cord always seems to get in the way and/or breaks plus my phone eventually (on 600 mile trips) runs out of battery. I was thinking that an integrated in helmet system will avoid loosing and breaking the earphones plus maybe I can leave my phone charging in the glove box.
I didn't know there was an adapter for the 7 point plug, that may be a good option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sfcusaret, I had the JM roller upgraded front and back with their 500W amp but can't hear my tunes down the road.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sena smh10r. Use'em myself.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sena SMH10R. Do it. Don't look back.

If one day you do want intercom.... sena is the only brand that has BT that will "talk" to (pair with) all the other BT systems out there. Pairing with iPhone or iPod is flawless. Tested with iPhone 4 (mine), 5 (wifes), 5S (wifes), and now 6 (mine). Ride with my son all the time (12 years old) and BT intercom is also flawless. He operates it with no issues.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
I have a Sena10 set up on three helmets. I love mine ... Communication is clear on big ends and pairing is easy. Very versatile. Won't road trip without it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Sfcusaret, I had the JM roller upgraded front and back with their 500W amp but can't hear my tunes down the road.
I'm sorry to hear that! I'm totally passed with my RF 300x2 and kappa's. One thousand percent better than stock, and great clarity at speed. Now just need to get another amp and speakers for the tour pack pods so I can balance the sound front to rear.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Not too hijack the op's thread, but how do you charge the sena's after a days ride and how long does a charge last?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I know this is a bigger expense, but since you mentioned answering your phone, I used the Scala G9's on my Road King and loved them.. Bluetooth for the phone and ipod.. no WIRES, everything on the helmet.. I sold them when I bought my Road GLide..It has a radio and i just check my phone at gas stops..

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Not too hijack the op's thread, but how do you charge the sena's after a days ride and how long does a charge last?
They come with a charger just like a cell phone. I have used my listening to music via Bluetooth from my phone for 8 hours and still had a charge. I had Bluetooth via my GPS and I intercom with my girlfriend and after about 9 hours they were flashing to tell me they needed charging. Not sure what the specs are but that real usages numbers. Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
This has already been answered by 100' but you can also purchase replacement battery packs and switch them out on your helmet. This way you can charge one in your glove box while using the other. The older version battery did not make switching out batteries easy, but I just bought an smh10r for my wife since I loved mine over the last 3 years and they changed the battery pack to facilitate an easy switch. I replaced my battery pack with the new style and will purchase another battery pack to do the aforementioned.

·
Registered
7,287 Posts
My Sena10 last 12+ hours of continuos being used by playing Bluetooth music, intercom and cellular use before needing to be recharged.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I bought a Jabra bluetooth ear buds that also has a mike for calls. Works incredible. They have an optional moldable foam that you squeeze and then they conform to the ear canal. Really awesome set for about $70. Amazon Prime has them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts