Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'21 RG Special ("Teal Ceil")
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first HD (and my first bike with a fairing) last year, a 2021 Billiard Teal/Chrome Road Glide Special. Since I'm one of those guys who names his bikes and my mother's nickname was Ceil I've named her "Teal Ceil".

In Mom's memory I'd like to add the words "Teal Ceil" somewhere to the bike and since I don't wish to have her painted I've instead reached out to a local company that does car lettering and graphics. This way I can remove the lettering if I ever sell her or have it redone should anything happen to her.

I also have an old picture of Mom from her younger days. It's one of my favorites and I'm thinking of possibly putting it on somewhere on the bike as well.

Below is a quick-&-dirty initial mockup of a couple of proposed lettering ideas that they drew up for me, the picture I'm thinking of using and a side-view of Teal Ceil herself.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Blue Motor vehicle

Forehead Lip Eyebrow Eyelash Jaw

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Vehicle

Since I'm not up on where folks usually put lettering and graphics on bikes (especially on bikes with fairings), I'm reaching out to my fellow forum members for the following opinions and suggestions:

1) Possible locations for the lettering that y'all think might look good
2) Whether or not to also put Mom's photo somewhere on the bike and if so...
3) Where the photo(s) might look best

BTW, I should add that I'm open to the idea of going asymmetrical (one side of the bike only) or symmetrical (both sides of the bike) for both the lettering as well as the photo. I'm not locked into either.

Thanks for your feedback, greatly appreciated...

-Dave

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I had lettering put on the rear of the saddlebags when I had my 08 batwing. You could do the same and have the photo under the words. I’m not a big fan of lettering on fronts of fairings, but that‘s just me. Perhaps you could put the photo on the fairing and the wording on the bags. Either way, good for you for having a tribute to mom. I have an urn guardian bell with some of mom’s ashes hanging on my bike.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
4,281 Posts
I have used a company on Facebook for several custom items over the years. They can paint onto almost any bike part you want - derby cover, tank console, saddlebag reflectors, you name it. They are Skulleaze on FB. Prices are fair (in Canadian dollars).

Tire Vehicle Fuel tank Wheel Motor vehicle

I had these made up for MikeU, cuz he's such a nice guy.

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

I have this poppy helmet holder with my Papa's RAF Bomber Squadron # and their motto: Tenacity painted on it.

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Drum Bicycle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

And I have a custom gas cover to honour the brave men and women that defend our freedoms

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Motorcycle Vehicle

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,278 Posts
Everyone's artistic eye is different, but to me the samples shown are just too big and bold. In my mind, when you do it that large and put it on the most visible surface on the bike, it almost looks like you're advertising some product named "Teal Ceil". I have noticed that most custom bike shops, when they're putting personal memoriam to someone on a bike, they more often than not do it on the rear fender above the license plate and lights. Another place would be on the tank console if you have one that's appropriate for being painted or wrapped.

For my taste, I would skip the picture. I just think that family member pics are a little too personal for putting on any vehicle. I think the key here is to remember that whether you use the pic or not, and no matter what you decide to do on the lettering, the reality is that no one except you will understand (or care) what it means. If I were going to do that to memorialize someone, I'd do it fairly small and I'd put it where I would see it from the riding position - tank console or somewhere on the rearward facing portion of the fairing. But that's just me.

When all is said and done, it's your bike, and your memory, so do with it as you please.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone's artistic eye is different, but to me the samples shown are just too big and bold. In my mind, when you do it that large and put it on the most visible surface on the bike, it almost looks like you're advertising some product named "Teal Ceil". I have noticed that most custom bike shops, when they're putting personal memoriam to someone on a bike, they more often than not do it on the rear fender above the license plate and lights. Another place would be on the tank console if you have one that's appropriate for being painted or wrapped.

For my taste, I would skip the picture. I just think that family member pics are a little too personal for putting on any vehicle. I think the key here is to remember that whether you use the pic or not, and no matter what you decide to do on the lettering, the reality is that no one except you will understand (or care) what it means. If I were going to do that to memorialize someone, I'd do it fairly small and I'd put it where I would see it from the riding position - tank console or somewhere on the rearward facing portion of the fairing. But that's just me.

When all is said and done, it's your bike, and your memory, so do with it as you please.
Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts with me. Although I’m not sure which direction I’m going to go, your advice is sound and greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Derby covers are an option that provide a nice sized canvas for picture and/or messages. Here’s a link to a company that does this kind of work. They also do custom fuel doors too which might work for mom’s photo. I have no personal experience with these guys, but it’s on my list of upgrades for the future.

Custom Derby Covers

·
Shark of the Month October 13
11,278 Posts
I like @RoadieWingZ' idea of having her picture done on the gas cap cover and they could also paint/print "Teal Ceil' across the bottom of the picture. It'll be a constant reminder for you that you dedicated this bike to your mom, it won't be that expensive to have done, and you can potentially move it from HD to HD if/when you get something new in several years. There are at least a couple of small businesses that specialize in doing those, and other covers on the motor.

Take your time to figure out your options. Once you put it on the bike you'll never take it off until you sell/trade the bike, so think it through and then be thrilled with the results.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Another place to put it would be on the side of the saddlebag down near the lower extended portion of the bag. If I'm not mistaken I think the cvo bikes used to have graphics in that area
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought my first HD (and my first bike with a fairing) last year, a 2021 Billiard Teal/Chrome Road Glide Special. Since I'm one of those guys who names his bikes and my mother's nickname was Ceil I've named her "Teal Ceil".

In Mom's memory I'd like to add the words "Teal Ceil" somewhere to the bike and since I don't wish to have her painted I've instead reached out to a local company that does car lettering and graphics. This way I can remove the lettering if I ever sell her or have it redone should anything happen to her.

I also have an old picture of Mom from her younger days. It's one of my favorites and I'm thinking of possibly putting it on somewhere on the bike as well.

Below is a quick-&-dirty initial mockup of a couple of proposed lettering ideas that they drew up for me, the picture I'm thinking of using and a side-view of Teal Ceil herself.

Since I'm not up on where folks usually put lettering and graphics on bikes (especially on bikes with fairings), I'm reaching out to my fellow forum members for the following opinions and suggestions:

1) Possible locations for the lettering that y'all think might look good
2) Whether or not to also put Mom's photo somewhere on the bike and if so...
3) Where the photo(s) might look best

BTW, I should add that I'm open to the idea of going asymmetrical (one side of the bike only) or symmetrical (both sides of the bike) for both the lettering as well as the photo. I'm not locked into either.

Thanks for your feedback, greatly appreciated...

-Dave
Eye Automotive tire Purple Textile Violet

·
Premium Member
2010 FLTRX, 96 No Mo, Plain Jane
1,157 Posts
Alzheimer's just sucks, and I think it's harder on the people that are taking care of the individual, in my case it's my mom. As we get closer to the end, I myself find it harder and sadder, on side note, the good part of this to me, is the unconditional love still shown between us, and that's what keeps me going....( I am an only child,so no help from brothers or sisters)
Every time I hear the word Alzheimer's, I just cringe and can't help feeling sorrow, with this mean and cruel disease, there is no happy ending.....
Be strong and fight the good fight.

Christopher

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 443770

I had these made up for MikeU, cuz he's such a nice guy.

View attachment 443772
I LOVE this - the personalization on the saddlebag reflectors (my hubby would love this - he’s a Marine, as well).

To OP, it’s definitely subjective on best placement for such a sweet dedication to your Mom. Personally, I’m a fan of above. Looks nice and clean.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Just my opinion, but that photo of your mom is way to hot for a mom photo. We were going through my mom's photos to pick out one for her obituary and wake and went with a photo of her in middle age and looking like a mom and wife.

We came across photos of her in her late teens and early 20s and I will admit that this is the first time I saw her as a beautiful woman and not just my mom.

I think the photo you show is more appropriate for a wife than a mother.

If that is how you remember your mother then how about laminating it and putting it on the inside of the shield where it mounts to the bike so you can glance at mom.

Or you could do the 1940s pinup theme with the script on the tank or side of the fairing with the photo in paint like the aeroplanes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Derby covers are an option that provide a nice sized canvas for picture and/or messages. Here’s a link to a company that does this kind of work. They also do custom fuel doors too which might work for mom’s photo. I have no personal experience with these guys, but it’s on my list of upgrades for the future.

Custom Derby Covers
LOL...I had no idea what a derby was until I clicked on that link. Thanks for the suggestion...and the education!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like @RoadieWingZ' idea of having her picture done on the gas cap cover and they could also paint/print "Teal Ceil' across the bottom of the picture. It'll be a constant reminder for you that you dedicated this bike to your mom, it won't be that expensive to have done, and you can potentially move it from HD to HD if/when you get something new in several years. There are at least a couple of small businesses that specialize in doing those, and other covers on the motor.

Take your time to figure out your options. Once you put it on the bike you'll never take it off until you sell/trade the bike, so think it through and then be thrilled with the results.
Great suggestion, thank you!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another place to put it would be on the side of the saddlebag down near the lower extended portion of the bag. If I'm not mistaken I think the cvo bikes used to have graphics in that area View attachment 443799
Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, that's definitely a possibility.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alzheimer's just sucks, and I think it's harder on the people that are taking care of the individual, in my case it's my mom. As we get closer to the end, I myself find it harder and sadder, on side note, the good part of this to me, is the unconditional love still shown between us, and that's what keeps me going....( I am an only child,so no help from brothers or sisters)
Every time I hear the word Alzheimer's, I just cringe and can't help feeling sorrow, with this mean and cruel disease, there is no happy ending.....
Be strong and fight the good fight.

Christopher
Couldn't. Agree. More. Thanks for chiming in and for sharing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts