Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got to work today and 2 of the well nuts on my Madstad windshield broke. They're side by side, the last 2 on the end of the windshield. The Madstad is a vey shaky and I usually ride the freeway home (leaving at 2pm PST).

Here are my options as I see it.
-Remove the widnshield and ride home without and have teary eyes.
-Use shipping tape to secure the windshield to the faring.
-Take side streets and ride slow.

Any advise or opinions are welcome. I'd hate to lose my windshield or cause an accident if it falls off.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'd take it off, better to be safe than sorry..

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Just a "maybe" but...

I seem to remember reading in an old thread somewhere that well-nuts are somewhat common and can be bought at some Ace hardware stores (even better quality than standard MoCo). Maybe limp to one and see?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I agree about trying to get to a hardware store, maybe even give them a call before leaving to make sure they have what you need in stock.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
When you do get replacements......... run the screw in until it is bottomed. (you haven't begun to expand the rubber).... then turn the screw 8 or 9 turns. Do NOT go beyond 9 turns. If you over tighten the nuts, they will pull through the hole.

A piece of tape on the screwdriver helps to count the turns.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advise. I think I'll see if I can get someone to run me to the hardware store. It sucks 'cause I have about 2 dozen well nuts in my tool box. I've never needed one on the road.

Thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me, except I had extras on the bike. I switched to the heavy duty well nuts and haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the end I had to ride home without the wellnuts. I stayed off the freeway and it worked out fine. I replaced the broken wellnuts at home and put 5 extra in my tool kit.

Thanks for all the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts