Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this Harley scene. I just bought my first Harley 2 months ago. 2011 RGC 103 ci. I want to start putting some $ into it.

I am doing the V&H power duals with the 4" rinehart slip on's. As far as the intake goes, i am undecided as to whether i want to just do a K&N or if i'm going to do the SE intake.

My question is, what should i be doing for a tuner? I don't plan on doing much more for performance as far as cams or heads go. This will pretty much be it. I think... hahahaha who knows... i was told to do the SEST, but i see more people doing the TTS... Are there any more i should look into? im not worried about price... i just want one the works, and is RELIABLE...

Let me know! any extra info would help! THANKS!!!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
My question is, what should i be doing for a tuner?

...and thus, the Holy wars began again.

Many differing opinions here. I use a Direct Link key, but some say it's somewhat more sophisticated than they want to mess with. Others love the pre-programmed PCV they get from Jamie at FuelMoto.com.

Prepare for a slew of varying answers! Do some research on the ones that appeal to you. If you know a good tuner, Direct Link can get into ECM places that inline modules can't, but you will need a dyno tune to get it right. If you're a hands off kinda guy, FuelMoto might be your best option.

·
Registered
84 Posts
DoBeck seems to have a good following on another forum. Looks like an easy set up and easy adjustments on the fly. Plus if you are Ex-military or Public Safety they offer great discounts.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I want to start putting some $ into it.

Well you've come to the right place. LMAO

These guys and gals will supply you with more than enough ideas to spend your money on. :D

I run the power duals myself with stage 1 download for now. I went with the SE stage 1 a/c because it's resonably priced and my dealer had it in stock and I already had the Willie G cover for it.

I'm in search of a tuner now myself. If you got ur exhaust for a 2011 then you have the smaller O2 ports, like me, which limits you (without changes) from using the auto tune type tuners which all use the larger style O2 ports. So I'm seriously looking into the Power Vision

Welcome to the tank from Bama

RIcky

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Another option is a V&H fuelpak. A little more $$$ than Harleys reflash but has more future flexibility. And V&H has canned maps for most simple upgrades.

They work good on a bike that is just doing Stage1 type options. I've got a riding buddy that installed it on a 2011 FLHTK with Rhineharts slipons & Ness Stage1 airbox. He liked the ease of self-install and adjusting for exhaust&airbox options. Woke engine up a little and it definitely runs cooler.

·
Registered
397 Posts
you dont have to worry bout the o2 ports they make o2 bungs from namz i think thats who sells them they r just adpters

·
Registered
8,562 Posts
If you change the pipes and air intake your going to need more fuel. There are several ways to get fuel but I'd Either do a SE down load or install one of the tuners. ( Don't waste your money and go with a tuner ) . What's the right tuner ? Talk to the pro's on this site. Get there phone # and give them a call and then make your choice.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Others love the pre-programmed PCV they get from Jamie at FuelMoto.com.

That would be me. While I have the plug-and-play PCIII, I can attest to excellent customer service and quick response. As Shrug alluded to, everybody has their own favorite flavor and it can be stressful going to the internet looking for an answer and getting a lot of "your gizmo is a POS and you should have bought what I have" responses. I decided to avoid all that by buying from someone with a proven reputation that I can go to directly if necessary. I've only done it once in the past year when I changed cams and requested a new map, and I had it back in less than 24 hours.

As you're probably going to find out, you can make something as simple or as complicated as you want. At this point in the game, I like simple. I couldn't care less about dyno numbers. What I do care about is reasonable performance, decent gas mileage, and not being stranded on the side of the road.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I was considering the Power Vision, but I'm only running minimal mods too. Just went with the stage I ECM flash for now.
How did that work for you? just considering the flash myself - have the V&H Power duals with the high outputs and stage 1 air.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
How did that work for you? just considering the flash myself - have the V&H Power duals with the high outputs and stage 1 air.

Don't waste the $180 like I did. The download doesn't help with AFRs because its still EPA regulated. Not saying it doesn't help a little (way up in the rpm range) but for not much more you could get a tuner that will do all the download will plus be able to adjust afr's.

I have the same setup as yours but with diff slip-ons.

Ricky

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sepst

OK, so i think im being talked into going with the SEPST. I am being told it will work for everything i want, and also work for future upgrades... I also like that it wont void my bikes warranty. I know there are quite a few people on this forum using this. Let me know how you guys like it and what are the ups and downs or this unit. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been very pleased with the power commander v autotune module. Adjusts for any future mods and continuously tunes using the O2 sensors. The only issue i've heard about is to make sure you use some dielectric grease on the connections.

Everyone has a different view, but this has worked well for me and my mods to the bike. Runs relatively cool, improved performance and 45 mpg.

·
Registered
97 Posts
DoBeck seems to have a good following on another forum. Looks like an easy set up and easy adjustments on the fly. Plus if you are Ex-military or Public Safety they offer great discounts.
BoXX of the Beat!!! ^^^^ let me know I can help ya out with this one.

By the way. Why is your name BeaTBoxX what are you one of those there rappers? HAHA Lets ride kid!!! :D

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I'm usually a strong advocate for TTS but not in your case. Since you don't plan on doing more performance mods you should consider V&H Fuel Pack. It's easy to install and it will do the job. Just remember that if you get mod fever you may have to upgrade your tuner.

·
Registered
185 Posts
thundermax!

·
Registered
86 Posts
As you're probably going to find out, you can make something as simple or as complicated as you want. At this point in the game, I like simple. I couldn't care less about dyno numbers. What I do care about is reasonable performance, decent gas mileage, and not being stranded on the side of the road.
It's amazing, and rather amusing, how many guys are in a virtual dyno shootout! I understand wanting or requiring the necessary performance you desire from your wheels but when you start screwing with stuff that's gonna have your a$$ on the side of the road I'd bet you wished you weren't trying to be the man with the highest hp/tq #s. Then again, those types of guys typically aren't on the road that often anyway...not bashing you "HP" seekers just providing my $.02.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts