Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The local Dyno/Tuner guy uses Powercommander and SERT. I am going from Stock 88/stage 1 to 95Ci, cam, geardrive, Port and polish heads. I am leaning towards the Powervision with Auto tune. Is there anything I should know or focus on before pulling the trigger on a tuner?
I am not concerned about wringing every last HP/Tq out of this setup. I just want it to be dependable with fair performance.
Any input appreciated.
Sorry, Bike is an '05 RG set up as Ultra, Full Bags, Lowers, crash bars etc. Rinehart crossover true duals, SE air cleaner, and above mentioned mods now. Obviously not a drag bike. I just like a little giddy up when I need it/ want it! I had to do something with the tensioner anyway.
Thanx again

·
Registered
639 Posts
I just added a powervision to mine and am running a Fuel Moto map. My Indy prefers the power commander, but does also work with power vision. He is a VERY good mechanic and dyno tuner, and said most of the time the fuel moto maps are almost dead on or dead on.

If you order from FM, they will map the PV for you if you tell them what all you are running. I am sure there are plenty more people on the forum with much more experience on the PV than I have though

·
Registered
462 Posts
PV or PC with AT. PV will be licensed to your bike (you can purchase another license for use on another bike if and when the time comes). PC can be removed and taken with you for use on compatible bikes. Both will do the job. I went with PCV w/AT only because the PV had not come out. 100% satisfied. Check with Jamie at Fuel Moto to check which is a fit for your bike before you purchase from anyone. SERT is licensed to the ECU and stays with the bike and generally, since it is a HD product, must conform to EPA (lean) standards. Not knocking SERT however it would be my last choice.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
For a tuner to be a true "Auto Tune" tuner you need a tuner that uses 18mm closed loop 02 sensors in the exhaust. Your bike doesn't have 02 sensors so you would need to have them installed if you want a true auto tuner.
Power Vision offers a tuner without 02 sensors and a auto tuner with 18mm 02 sensors and Tundermax makes auto tuner with the 18mm 02 sensors as well.
The 18mm closed loop 02 sensors are used to monitor the AFR through the exhaust gas allowing the ECM to make real time AFR adjustments, this means you never need to worry about the AFR because the ECM will always make the correct adjustment.
Timing can not be auto tuned so timing adjustments to the base map would need to be made manually.
The PV is a piggy back tuner which is used with your stock ECM.
Thundermax tuner replaces the stock ECM with a new Thundermax ECM.
I use the Thundermax and I can access the ECM and make any adjustments needed to the AFR and timing and any other feature the ECM controls.
In most cases there is no need to dyno tune your bike if you use a auto tuner with the 18mm closed loop 02 sensors.
The Auto Tuners are more expensive than tuners that just makes adjustments to the EFI.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts