Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an issue with my air shocks leaking, and I wanted to find a permanent yet inexpensive fix. I found 1/8" valve stems to install on each individual air shock, in place of the stock air shock tubing and fittings. They were $2.95 each from summitracing.com.

I got rid of the leaky hoses and fittings on mine and installed Air Lift part number 21366 from summitracing.com. Works great, and now I can fill each individual shock to a set pressure.

http://m.summitracing.com/search?keyword=air lift 21366

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Dammit!!! I just paid $13 for a pair of those from eBay. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

FWIW, they do work great, don't they.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Thats actually not a bad idea. Ive been noticing my shocks have been losin some air. Just never had the time to look for the leak. This would reduce the places at which it could leak from

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dammit!!! I just paid $13 for a pair of those from eBay. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

FWIW, they do work great, don't they.
I didn't want to admit I did the same thing. Until I saw the Air Lift part number in the description and punched it into Google. It took me to summitracing.com

Very nice install, caps included. Used Teflon pipe dope and a box wrench. Done. Bike rides nice again. :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
anybody got a part number for the 1/8" valve stem pieces? I keep coming up with sensors and weird things?

I am experiencing leaky shocks and need to get them stabilized.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still holding up well after a few months.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Great idea, my next purchase. Probably the least expensive item I have bought for the bike.
That is because it didn't have the "HD" on it.
You know "HD" stands for "Hundred Dollars", didn't you? lol

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
I'll have to check into it and stop by the local Summit one day. A STEALer in Dover, Ohio told me that 5-7 lbs loss per day is acceptable when I had it there for it's 5k service. Then again, they also told me that the neck wobble was normal at 5300 miles.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
anybody got a part number for the 1/8" valve stem pieces? I keep coming up with sensors and weird things?

I am experiencing leaky shocks and need to get them stabilized.
Air Lift part number 21366

·
Registered
745 Posts
What am I doing wrong. I put these on my shocks. I can attach the pump and fill them. As long as the pump is Connected to valve the shock holds air. When I disconnect the pump the air comes out. Reattaching the pump shows 0 psi. I checked the cores and they are tight. There is no leak around the body where the valve threads into it. I used ptfe tape. I'm scratching my head on this one.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
What am I doing wrong. I put these on my shocks. I can attach the pump and fill them. As long as the pump is Connected to valve the shock holds air. When I disconnect the pump the air comes out. Reattaching the pump shows 0 psi. I checked the cores and they are tight. There is no leak around the body where the valve threads into it. I used ptfe tape. I'm scratching my head on this one.
It sound like the Schrader Valve is bad. The trouble with these valves is they look good, but can be bad.
They are cheap and easier to replace and eliminate any possible chance it is the problem.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Good thought. Ill buy some new cores and put them in...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ok replaced the valve core. And when I did air came out of the shock. Must a pump problem a gauge problem or operator error. Will borrow another pump and try that.

·
Registered
432 Posts
So no more leaks after putting these on? You're finding the psi staying the same in the shocks for how long?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just woke up, read this post, went downstairs, said hi to the wife and baby, checked the left airshock and have 22psi. Checked the right and it had 19psi. I don't know when I originally made this thread, but I haven't checked em since, no bs...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can use soapy water to check for air leaks around the fittings of the shocks. I didn't use thread tape, I used pipe dope, but I doubt it makes much difference. Some people swear by air shocks, I would like to go with a spring setup, but don't have an extra grand to throw at my bike. I just went with this setup to eliminate weak spots for future problems and clutter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts