Road Glide banner

Did you have any problems installing Infinity Kappa 62.11I speakers in your 2015 RG?

• Infinity Kappa 62.11I no installation issues in 2015 RG

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • Infinity Kappa 62.11I speakers prevent one or both grills from snapping back into place

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Infinity Kappa 62.11I surround cone damaged after installation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Infinity Kappa 62.11I other issues encountered (please elaborate in post)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Specifics:
Bike - 2015 Road Glide
Stereo - Stock HU
AMP - Cerwin-Vega B2

I ordered a set of Infinity Kappa 62.11I speakers to replace my JBL GTO638 speakers. The JBL's have been great speakers, but after installing my new AMP I got the itch to try some higher dollar speakers. After much debate and discourse over at HDForums I caved and bought the Kappas instead of a couple different options that I was considering.

While I did a bunch of research prior to hitting the "Buy" button, since I've been waiting for the new speakers to arrive I've had time to continue my research and a couple of things have come up specifically concerning the Kappas.

Issue #1
Some installers are reporting issues with the speaker grill hitting the tweeter and/or the surround ring.

Issue #2
Some installers are reporting that their surround ring is separating from the speaker cone. Some users are speculating that this might be caused by the surround cone hitting the grill tabs after installation, and others are speculating that it is a quality issue with the speaker itself.

So for those of you running the Kappas + AMP + 2015 RG..... Have any of you experienced the same problems as noted in #1 and #2 above? Other than needing longer installation screws are there any other fitment issues with the Kappas and the speaker enclosure or the speaker grills after installing the Kappas? Have any of you noticed any damage to the speaker surround cone after installation?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I was hoping you would have had some feedback by now. I've got a set of Kappas I plan on installing this winter, and have the same concerns.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping you would have had some feedback by now. I've got a set of Kappas I plan on installing this winter, and have the same concerns.
Kappas went in. Speaker mounting holes align with the factory speaker holes (no surprise there). No issues with the magnet or speaker frame fitting into the factory speaker enclosures, so getting it all tucked in = no problems at all.

I knew that the Kappas had screws instead of spade terminals for speaker wire attachment so no surprise there (other than wondering about the engineering decision to go that route).

You will have to play around with the tweeter orientation to prevent interference with the stock grill. Luckily the tweeter domes spin around almost a full 360 degrees allowing for a lot of latitude in the orientation to clear the stock grill.

My factory grills snapped back into place without any problems once I had the tweeter domes properly oriented.

My main surprise was that I wasn't completely blown away in SQ difference between the Kappas and the JBL GTO368 speakers that I was swapped out. The Kappas sound and appear to kick harder than the JBLs in mid-bass and have a bit more lower end in them, but part of that may be because I stuffed my enclosures with polyfil since I was in there any way. The Kappa high frequencies sound like they have more detail, but there does sound like some dead space in the mids where the JBLs benefited from being a triax instead of coax design.

Strangely enough, optimal AMP gain and frequency adjustment on the Cerwin-Vega B2 were almost exactly the same between both sets of speakers. And I spent a lot of time on those with the installation of the Kappas. Setting baseline AMP gain using the DMM method, then tweaking from there using test tones and finally music. Same thing for the frequency adjustment.

Once again I opted to use the HP crossover and tweaked the frequency using test tones of 60Hz, 80Hz and 100Hz - 0dB. My full power range is kicking in at around 100Hz but still passing through some audio between 60-80Hz.

I'm hoping that over time the Kappas will break in and start to sound better, but I'm not sure based on initial impressions that they are $70 better speakers than the JBLs they replaced. I would have probably kept the JBLs and sold the Kappas, but some aggressive use of test tones and gain in the 400Hz range cooked the voice coils :)

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Kappas went in. Speaker mounting holes align with the factory speaker holes (no surprise there). No issues with the magnet or speaker frame fitting into the factory speaker enclosures, so getting it all tucked in = no problems at all.

I knew that the Kappas had screws instead of spade terminals for speaker wire attachment so no surprise there (other than wondering about the engineering decision to go that route).

You will have to play around with the tweeter orientation to prevent interference with the stock grill. Luckily the tweeter domes spin around almost a full 360 degrees allowing for a lot of latitude in the orientation to clear the stock grill.

My factory grills snapped back into place without any problems once I had the tweeter domes properly oriented.

My main surprise was that I wasn't completely blown away in SQ difference between the Kappas and the JBL GTO368 speakers that I was swapped out. The Kappas sound and appear to kick harder than the JBLs in mid-bass and have a bit more lower end in them, but part of that may be because I stuffed my enclosures with polyfil since I was in there any way. The Kappa high frequencies sound like they have more detail, but there does sound like some dead space in the mids where the JBLs benefited from being a triax instead of coax design.

Strangely enough, optimal AMP gain and frequency adjustment on the Cerwin-Vega B2 were almost exactly the same between both sets of speakers. And I spent a lot of time on those with the installation of the Kappas. Setting baseline AMP gain using the DMM method, then tweaking from there using test tones and finally music. Same thing for the frequency adjustment.

Once again I opted to use the HP crossover and tweaked the frequency using test tones of 60Hz, 80Hz and 100Hz - 0dB. My full power range is kicking in at around 100Hz but still passing through some audio between 60-80Hz.

I'm hoping that over time the Kappas will break in and start to sound better, but I'm not sure based on initial impressions that they are $70 better speakers than the JBLs they replaced. I would have probably kept the JBLs and sold the Kappas, but some aggressive use of test tones and gain in the 400Hz range cooked the voice coils :)
I see the Kappa's have a higher sensitivity level (94) over the GTO's at (92) also. So they should play a little louder at the same volume too.
I'm doing the opposite, I currently have the Kappa's in the lower fairings and plan on changing out with the GTO's sitting on the work bench.

·
Registered
8,609 Posts
Hey BG, will be interesting hearing your feedback between the two.
Will do, but it's probably going to be a month or so. It's pretty low on the priority list right now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went with jbl in my lower fairings, and took them out because of the speaker grill. The speaker fit perfect but the grill wouldn't fit in the inner fairing.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an update on grill fitment issues. Recently I was back into the fairing adjusting my AMP gains with a TPI 440 Plus that I borrowed from work. When I originally installed the Kappas I tinned the wires, put a dab of blue Loctite on the terminal set screws and snugged them down.

Well...... on the left hand speaker the Loctite set hard and I broke the terminal housing trying to get the dang screw out. Ruining one speaker :(

So I plop down $139 for another set of Kappas figuring that heck, now I'll always have one spare. On the new set of Kappas that I got there is some grill interference with the speaker basket ring. It's worse on the right hand side of the bike. Left hand side snapped right in without issue. Swapped both new speakers around and results are the same. The grill will snap into place but the tab is sitting right on top of the speaker basket ring. The only thing I can figure is that there is some manufacturing variance in the height of the speaker ring, because the first set went in and cleared completely.

·
Registered
408 Posts
check and make sure the kappa is missing the little nipple on the pod, I can see that you could have it not fall into a hollow area on the mounting ring of the kappa (I actually cut the nipples off)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not surprised that the JBL's and the Kappas didn't display a blow you away sound they are both made by Harmon Kardon, I've had both I kind of like the JBL's more than the Kappas due to the midrange being a little bit more responsive while riding at highway speeds due to exhaust you really don't hear the low ends on the bike. I do have issues with the Kappas 6x9's going bad in the longevity department. I've got friends who have all lost at least one speaker in a very short amount of time. All of this without playing their music at ear drum busting levels and amps being tuned properly. I've also seen a few that have separated from basket as someone mentioned in a post above. Might just be a bad batch out there.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm not surprised that the JBL's and the Kappas didn't display a blow you away sound they are both made by Harmon Kardon, I've had both I kind of like the JBL's more than the Kappas due to the midrange being a little bit more responsive while riding at highway speeds due to exhaust you really don't hear the low ends on the bike. I do have issues with the Kappas 6x9's going bad in the longevity department. I've got friends who have all lost at least one speaker in a very short amount of time. All of this without playing their music at ear drum busting levels and amps being tuned properly. I've also seen a few that have separated from basket as someone mentioned in a post above. Might just be a bad batch out there.

Remember that infinity and jbl are Harmon Kardon's entry level brands. Harmon Kardon makes top shelf audio equipment. That's why they put it in top shelf cars. Since we can't get Burmester for our bikes, it's a close second. HD is the limiting factor on the pre-2014 stock radio system, not HK.

·
Registered
442 Posts
So going back to this subject, I've adjusted my tweeter and the grills aren't hitting but the bottom snap isn't completely snapping in. It's close but it's hitting the speaker ring as shown in the picture (where the top of the white zip tie is). I tried to bend the tab up gently but no go. Those who said the grill fit back, did you confirm the bottom actually snapped in?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458414944.110860.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Did anybody figure out a fix? I just got amp installed and Kappas. When I went to put the grilles on I too noticed it's not gonna happen without damage. Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Update?

Did you guys figure out how to get the grills to fit? I'm on the fence deciding Kappa's or JBL 638. They JBL's can be had at $45.00 now, so I'm actually leaning that way anyway. Any reason to go Kappa over the JBL's after you guys have had time to break in the Kappas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did this install on my 2016 Road Glide. I got the Boom 2 speaker grills and clipped off the tab off the grill that is closed to the handlebars. These grills are metal and less flexible than the stock grills, they fit securely with just the two remaining tabs. I also used a heat gun to warm up the slot in that same spot and bend it up a little. I have a good half an inch clearance now between the speaker and the slot.

Bspencer

1 - 17 of 17 Posts