Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Road Glide Special and I want to change the Handle bars from the stock ones that came with the bike. I am a senior citizen so I'm not looking for anything radical. I am looking more for comfort. I stand about 5"8" tall and weigh in at 207 lbs give or take..

Last year I road to Sturgis with a bunch of friends and put about 4000 miles on the bike. I notice when I am riding that I get neck cramps. I would like to know what other people have done in my age bracket and build bracket or younger or older for that matter, have done to make this more comfortable.

Any info will be greatly appreciated...

Joe B

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a 2017 Road Glide Special and I want to change the Handle bars from the stock ones that came with the bike. I am a senior citizen so I'm not looking for anything radical. I am looking more for comfort. I stand about 5"8" tall and weigh in at 207 lbs give or take..

Last year I road to Sturgis with a bunch of friends and put about 4000 miles on the bike. I notice when I am riding that I get neck cramps. I would like to know what other people have done in my age bracket and build bracket or younger or older for that matter, have done to make this more comfortable.

Any info will be greatly appreciated...

Joe B
I don’t know what you consider senior citizen, but I’m 5’9” 200 lbs and 55 years old. I swapped my bars out for 13 inchers and that puts my hands just a tad below shoulder height. They’re not too tall and work well for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick response. I just threw the age factor in there for the hell of it. I am 75 yrs old but feel great enough to keep riding. I am going to Daytona in March and was thinking about making a handlebar change before I go so I would like to get some other opinions

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
God bless ya. I hope I'm riding at 75.

Road6 customs 13" bars. I put them on a buddys bike. He loves them. Good price but black only. I believe they make 11" . It's the wrist angle that gets ya. I have 12" Factory 47 bars. Likely too flashy. And they're expensive.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You just ROCK!!! Im 5'6 and broke my neck many years ago. I would get the neck cramps and just plain burning in my neck and shoulders with the stock bars and the Chizel lo's from Harley. They are 10" bars. Im running 14" bars with a nice pull back and they feel freaking awesome. HUGE difference in the way my neck and shoulders feel.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm 70, and 6'. I have 11" Road 6 Customs Standard Apes. They're a simple bent bar with a great wrist angle, and my hands stay behind the fairing. Give them a call, they're nice folks to deal with.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I am 38, 5'9 185lbs and just put 16" Factory 47's on the RGS and absolutely love them. I would envision, if you like the style that the 14" ones would suit you well and you don't need to extend cables or wires with the 14's. I will tell you that if you happened to choose the 16's you will need the wire extenders but you do NOT need cables.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I had the same problem with my neck cramping up. It felt like my lower neck was on fire after about an hour on the bike. I never liked apes because they looked uncomfortable to me but finally at age 66 i bought the 14" apes and haven't had any problems with my neck anymore, "thank God". Now if i can get me a more comfortable seat to keep my butt from killing me i will be in hawg heaven when riding. I'm 6' 160 lbs and i went with JSR 14" straight ups.

Reactions: joeabk

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
5" 9". I also went with JSR Customs 12" "Bad Attitude" bars (sort of). I called Jim and had a set custom made. They have a bend at the bottom them bring them two inches closer, had mine made to come three inches closer with the 12" rise, and 7" pull back. World of difference.

Reactions: joeabk

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
P.S. I should have included a question about cables? Do you have to change the lengths?
Generally you should be able to go to 14" without needing extensions. The thing depending on how wide they are, but rule of thumb is 14".

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your reply... Just keep going till the Lord says stop. He's the only one who knows....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I am 5.90 and I would like a position of hands behind fairings and a touring relaxed position but not a handlebar so rear as stock one.
So I used the Moco Chizeled Lo. I like it.
Is only 10” but different position.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
IMO 12" to 13" apes would work great for just about anyone.

Not to tall and the stock wiring & cables don't need to be changed to new.

I had 13" LA Chopper Twin Peaks and they were great.

Perfect height and very comfy on long rides.

I switched out the 13" apes for 16" apes and for me they were spot on perfect.

I had to get wiring extensions and new cables but I wanted steel lines anyways so I replace the stock cables for black steel cables.

The setup has been fantastic for me.

The stock bars suck, once again IMO

12" - 13" bars would most likely be a good fit for you.

Good luck on your research.

Swomack

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I used the road6 customs road glide kit,and went with 13's.The stock brake line worked with a little re-routing,but the kit came with a different clutch cable and wiring extensions.The stock wires made it through the bars,but extensions were needed to reach the stock plug location,inside the fairing and on the sides of the radio.

I'm 6'3" and 59,haven't ridden with these yet,but they look killer.

EDIT: sorry,I missed the part about your bike being a 2017....my info applies to a pre-rushmore bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts