Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was thinking abuot how everyone put's their phone on their bars, and has a huge touch screen right in front of them as well. My 2019 I have already found to be quite distracting with all this crap I can do on the screen while riding. When I put on new risers and bars, the screen is pretty much hidden now. If I need to see I can sit up super tall or slouch and see it.

I have used my phone on the bars on my 2013 on rare occasion, but I prefer to leave the phone in my pocket. I don't have kids or a wife so there are no calls I NEED to take. My music is on thumb drives. I typically don't use GPD and i I get confused with where I am I will pull over and look at my phone and put it back in my pocket. Age wise, I'm not old, but I didn't grow up with the internet or cell phones.

So, when I read threads about guys who are trying to figure out how to get the earpiece to talk to the phone to talk to the GTS I jsut laugh. The motorcycle for me is transportation, but also mental health and way of getting away from the insanity and stress of everyday life, even if I ride it daily.

It seems to me that everyone is so plugged in nowadays and "needs" to rely on the internet and technology for directions, music, phone calls, etc that it's ridiculous. I don't get it at all. I don't want an intercom to talk to someone when I'm riding. Not even my wife when I was married.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the convenience that technology provides in my life on a daily basis and I utilize it. I mean crap, I couldn't imagine having to wait for the paper to check the stock quotes everyday. By the time I read it, it'd be way different.

nd, the ability to literally pay my bills, call my friends and family, email people, post pictures, surf forums, etc from my phone is insane. I mean I was told in school that I needed to know how to do long hand math as when I was an adult I was not going to have a calculator in my pocket everywhere I went. Little did my teachers know.

I'm curious as to others take on technology and it's role in our lives as related to our Road Glides. I've been a forum dude for a long time. This username is new as I forgot my old when I stopped coming here a few years back . I found my 2013 Glide on this forum. I signed the mascot back in 2012 or so. I sold products to lots of people on here. I would not have had the life I have had without the internet and technology. But, I feel like now it's gone way too far. It's so influential that I have bowed out of many aspects of it now.

I now appreciate my privacy much more than I did a few years ago. It's extremly difficult to hide in this world and jsut go about your life. So, if you read this all and have some thoughts, post them up. Oh and here's a pic of my Road Glide with all that technology I don't really use.

And here is my 2013 that is hidden in the corner of the garage for now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
As long as your safe and enjoying your ride you ride the way you want.
I love just going and not bothering with anything other than my music but have kids so I have the phone connected for calls. I pull over to talk.

Ride safe and Ride free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Many different reasons why I want my phone on a mount. My kids are grown but I do have 4 Grandkids. My Mom has passed away but my Dad’s 86 and none of the above call me often but if they do I’m pulling over. The only time I’d take a call is if I was wearing my Modular with the Sena. That’s only worn on road trips during rain.

I hate having my phone in my pocket when riding and it doesn’t fit well in the glove box while being charged. I also like to use Apple Car Play and because I don’t have the Whim the phone needs to be plugged in. Now occasionally it will get disconnected which means I’ll need to disconnect and reconnect. Much easier to do if the phone is right in front of me.

I also like to use different weather Apps for radar while traveling. These can easily be seen on my phone so there’s no surprises.

Like I mentioned many reasons to have it on a mount. All it takes is a quick glance no more then looking at your gauges to check your speed limit or whatever.

Too many assume a rider with a phone mount isn’t paying attention to the road. I’m not saying the OP is one of these people but it’s been brought up many times as a safety issue. Simply not always the case.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
You do you OP. A big part of why I upgraded from the ‘09 to my ‘19 was to get the technology bells and whistles integrated from my phone into the bike via CarPlay and be able to communicate with passengers via intercom and other via phone/text. When I want to be “alone” without distractions, a few clicks and it’s done. I don’t “need” my phone to be on the handlebar (it could be connected in the side compartment), but I find advantages in doing so for certain functions and apps that aren’t integrated in CarPlay. But that’s just me doing me as a retired engineer and IT guy and it’s not for everybody.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,310 Posts
I don't have the phone on the bars. But I do like having an alert when a call is coming in, if I think it is something important then I can pull over and call the person back, or I can just keep on with my ride.

One thing for sure is that having a phone everywhere you are is definitely safer. When I crashed it was on a road that may not have seen traffic until the next morning. Luckily I was able to getup from the crash and phone for help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’ve personally found the stock stereo so lacking over my ‘loud pipes’ that it’s unusable. So that never gets used.

mapping is pretty darn useful. And I tied my phone into the bike to tell me if it’s ringing —but I won’t answer while riding.

I run a Garmin ‘tracker’ on the bike so my wife can get an idea of where I am at most times. I do this mostly because I prefer to ride alone. I tellher she can use it to find my body just in case...

Lastly, I keep the phone on ME. Why? In the unlikely event of an accident I may still be conscious and mobile enough to call for help. And when I know I’m definitely out of cell range the tracker goes in my pocket as I can summon help anywhere with a one button push.

Is it important to see & poke at my phone while riding? Not on my life.

·
Administrator
10,881 Posts
Can live with it or without it .

I have a phone mount and a GPS , GPS is mainly for music , but I can't tell you the last time I turned the radio on .. Or listened to music .. Bike came with CB and never been used ..

Map on the GPS is out of date and cant update anymore for some reason , anyone know how to update RoadTech Zumo 550 let me know , can update a portion of the US , used to update the US and Canadia to SD card , but won't give me that option anymore ..

There's more wires running to the headlights than my shovels and pans had on the entire scooter ..

JtB

·
Registered
319 Posts
Coms for me is an absolute must have, I hate having to stop when in a group ride and yell at people thru a helmet and over the noise of the bike when you can simply just have a conversation, you can make decisions on the fly and eveyone in the group knows what is happening... If someone at the back needs to take a piss.. If someone in front has a tire that looks flat he can be told.. As for having the wife on the back, her com went flat and we had an hour run home thru some great roads and scenery but couldn't be bothered yelling at each other... Made for a boring ride. I have also found that with coms it doesn't matter who leads the ride as long as someone can tell the leader when and what way to turn.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
My RGS is the first bike I’ve ever had that even has a radio.
i plug the phone into the bike, love that!
And it’s nice to know it’s there,
But....90% of the time I ride with the screen off
And I don’t even listen to music.
just ride.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I love the GPS! Just ride and let it find my destination. Music on the bike is nice too. On my shovel I would write down directions, memorize 1st part, then pull over to read part 2. Of course I made a wrong turn and so it went.
When I stop for a break, I check my phone. Having a smart phone with me is great, can find a camp site etc. without having to carry a book and map...
Shovel with straight pipes was it's own music and my only companion on many trips. As I write this the '83 Wideglide is being restored, I can't wait to ride it again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I love listening to music while I ride. I don’t care about phone calls or texts while riding but it’s nice to be able to see who is trying to contact me just in case. My phone is plugged in to the cubby and out of sight.
I use the gps once in a while. It’s nice to have if you want it.

Reactions: Mike U

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
To have the ability to be able to do all the things that people are saying is whats nice to me. I can do a small amount or all of it. Sometimes its nice to put on music that I haven't heard in a while and its in my phone. Typically I do cds of entire groups albums. I haven't used the radio to listen to anything in a while. Only time is if I am sick of the cd I have in and forgot to change it.out. when I am out riding, no calls get answered. If its important I will call you back, so leave a message.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
I miss the good old days when someone would come up with a question, and then the group would end up discussing it for hours. As opposed to now, where someone comes up with a question, some fuck-whit googles it, and then everybody goes back to staring at the walls for the next hour.

I hate that shit..

Now as for the bike - Note: I work in IT - The current excess of technology is a major factor in why I refuse to get a newer bike. I deal with computers all day - every day. When I get on the bike...I want nothing to do with them. I just want to go back in time to the visceral man and machine experience.

·
Administrator
2,706 Posts
I work in technology so I'm a techno nerd... I love all the tech features of the new bikes... but I don't keep my phone on my bars... it goes in the fairing pocket. But I do BT connect it so I can stream music or take a call...

MY wife and I enjoy the HD corded comms headsets so we use helmets setup for comms which make phone calls easy...

On long trips I enjoy a good audio book, this year I'm going to try some slim earbuds tied to the phone to hear it better...

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Phone is in pocket or tour pak.. I do not care what apple car play is. My music is on USB flash drive. Even with major hearing loss I can hear the radio. The GPS works fine . Prefect no but none are. Really don't use it much.
I lived to long in the world where I had to be connected 24/7. Life is so much better walking away from it. When wife is with me on the bike I just hand her the phone when we get on she can deal with it. I have disabled just about anything google related on my phone uninstalled the rest. It will not even connect to a web browser and I am ok with that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
To have the ability to be able to do all the things that people are saying is whats nice to me. I can do a small amount or all of it. Sometimes its nice to put on music that I haven't heard in a while and its in my phone. Typically I do cds of entire groups albums. I haven't used the radio to listen to anything in a while. Only time is if I am sick of the cd I have in and forgot to change it.out. when I am out riding, no calls get answered. If its important I will call you back, so leave a message.

I’m lucky to be able to navigate the radio on my 2020. My 93 FLH is my no thinking ride.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My phone is in my tour pack charging and playing music (I really like music) typically in my modular helmet.
I have an app that as soon as It detects me traveling goes into safe mode and the only call allowed is my wife who knows I am riding and will not call unless important. She knows how I feel about phones and driving or riding. My route is also plugged in because that mapping program is very up to date including announcing slowdowns and alternative routes. I typically travel solo on bike and don't have old school map access. The GPS on bike is used for pictures of exits with route plugged in but spends time recalculating since it is rarely accurate. I do believe we are too comfortable plugging in a destination and following it like sheep to a slaughter. But the fact you can get current weather, wind etc is good information used properly. However if on back roads no map program gets me there so I travel a few roads then pullover and get the next set of directions. I have thought about using masking tape, paper with printed route and windshield to see direction further.
If in a group and talking during supper and something comes up I say "no phones" and we have a discussion.
So finally technology good and bad. Disconnect when possible and use with caution

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Phone is in pocket or tour pak.. I do not care what apple car play is. My music is on USB flash drive. Even with major hearing loss I can hear the radio. The GPS works fine . Prefect no but none are. Really don't use it much.
I lived to long in the world where I had to be connected 24/7. Life is so much better walking away from it. When wife is with me on the bike I just hand her the phone when we get on she can deal with it. I have disabled just about anything google related on my phone uninstalled the rest. It will not even connect to a web browser and I am ok with that.
I would love to be able to use a flash drive for music on my 2013 with the stock head unit.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I keep an old Ipod in the glovebox connected to the original HK radio with an IronCross adapter. Gotta have tunes or I’ll spend way too much time alone in my head and that’s not good for any one.

On road trips I’ll put my Zumo on the bike with the Iron Aces mount with preloaded routes and destinations plugged in. I still carry paper maps, hate that HOG stopped printing and sending them out.

Handlebars have a cup holder and a bunch of bandanas flapping around.

Keep my phone in my pocket. Mostly just use it to delete email and watch stupid human trick videos anyway.

For communication with the wife on the back I just try not to spit too much when I turn my head to talk cuz you know, at 80mph she’s not going to be happy about it. As for others on the road sign language still gets the point across!

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
next best thing, burn a bunch of mp3's to a cd and use that.

I used to believe that all this tech was unneccesary, but after having used it, I find that I like it. when riding with the wife, we have comms between each other, and it's really nice to be able to 'chat' while cruising. having tunes in your headset is better than blasting 500 watts through the speakers, you can actually hear ambient sounds better with a headset set at a reasonable volume level than what you need to have your speakers set at at 80mph. gps is cool, not necessarily for the directions, but for the ancillary information provided, eta, traffic, etc. texts, phone calls, etc. are not something we use often, but it is convenient to answer a phone call, tell the person calling that you're on the bike and will call back later if needed, all without having to pull over.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts