Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure I'll get a bunch of different opinions, but here goes... I've got a 2000 SERG, it had the 95 in from the factory, but when I bought it was told the first owner had bumped it to 100. I'm not certain what he did or had done. I was riding last summer and the inner cam bearing failed I can see where it gouged the case, and have a feeling the case might need to be replaced. I'm not sure what all else was trashed yet. I'm taking it to a local guy I trust later this week since I've finally scraped some funds together, but I'd be interested in hearing thoughts on the best combination of reliable 2 up touring and twist the throttle at the light and hold on torque. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
The case may be able to be repaired depending on how bad it is. The CVO was just a 88" with a big bore kit that brought it up to a 95" engine. These engines are good engines and you may want to look into the HD re-manufacturing program. I think you need to go through a HD dealer but the engine is removed and shipped to HD and then it is rebuilt by the factory and shipped back to your dealer for install. The down side is that the factory will only rebuild it to stock specifications so you would lose your performance upgrades. Looking for a used engine may be a option as well but you never know what you will get, you know what you get from a factory rebuilt engine and that is a basically a new engine from top to bottom.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
A good set of torque cams when it is put back together is all you need. The 95" should be sufficient for everything else unless your looking for gobs of power.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I agree on the case get it checked out.You might be able to punch the jugs and send the heads out for a little rework.Don't scrap it yet.I had a punched 88 to 95 the son bought it from me and the local HD.dealer did not put oil back in it front piston started to seize up and the piston skirt did a number on the front jug was able to punch it again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to get my bike into the shop this week, but between the rain and now snow and that annoying thing called work it hasn't happened. When I bought the bike I was told that it had been built to 100 in motor, but the guy, he was the second owner, didn't know much about it. I checked the one cylinder that's off it from when Smokey Mountain HD initially checked it out, and it has a 4.024 inch bore. I assume that this was a big bore kit, but I'm not sure of the actual displacement. Any thoughts? Also, is there an easy way to figure out what cams are I have. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Is Dave Black still @ Smokey Mountain H-D?
They send us machine work, like descibed from time to time.
Repairing that cam bearing area is basic work here.
Scott

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I was hoping to get my bike into the shop this week, but between the rain and now snow and that annoying thing called work it hasn't happened. When I bought the bike I was told that it had been built to 100 in motor, but the guy, he was the second owner, didn't know much about it. I checked the one cylinder that's off it from when Smokey Mountain HD initially checked it out, and it has a 4.024 inch bore. I assume that this was a big bore kit, but I'm not sure of the actual displacement. Any thoughts? Also, is there an easy way to figure out what cams are I have. Thanks!
4 x 4 is a 100cu

Sounds like you've got stock crank and bored cases to accommodate the bigger bore jugs although I thought the bigger bore cylinders are 4.060"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts