Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another RG owner told me people aren't mounting subwoofers in the extra space of the inner fairing , facing the fork legs. Has anyone done it, and done it so that it was durable and had good sound?

Willie B!

·
Super Moderator
5,856 Posts
I dont beleive youll find any subs thatll fit there...lol You would definitely have a rocking bike if ya could. You can put a set of speakers in there though. Several of us have done that mod. I used my old Hogtunes. It adds a little extra.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe

TraceyB. The Queen of RGO!

I have been looking at some 8" and possibly smaller to 6" shallow speakers? Have you seen these?

Thanks for your feed back. I have the hawg wired setup with the 400W RMS.

I have 2 channels open.

Will

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
490 Posts
Kicker 6.5

Kicker makes a 6.5" sub that'll fit there, but be careful which ones you buy, as they are available in 1,2, and 4 ohm versions. I have read that they may have stopped making these though, better get 'em while you can.

At one time I wa planning to put 2 ea of these in the bottom of my bags running off of a 400w monoblock amp that is collecting dust in the garage.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
12,428 Posts
Another thread I don't need to be looking at, but I'm subscribing anyway...:D

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
You will never get good punch out of a 6" sub without a cabinet. I used the RFG 4 speaks in fairing and the 300 watt amp. Great sound but no bass. Some guys cut out the glove boxes and run 6x9's which sound great

·
Registered
490 Posts
You will never get good punch out of a 6" sub without a cabinet. I used the RFG 4 speaks in fairing and the 300 watt amp. Great sound but no bass. Some guys cut out the glove boxes and run 6x9's which sound great

Sounds like a challenge. I had kinda dropped the idea cause I didn't want to overload the charging system, but now I may have to do it.

I firmly believe that with proper enclosure size, Dynamat, and maybe even some ballast it can deliver a fair ammount of bass.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm in the research phase of upgrading my '99 RG from stock two speakers in fairing and two in tour pack.

One guys suggested a Sony Marine deck that you can slide your iPhone in with all your music on it....replacing the factory speakers and putting some 6" speakers in the fairing facing the forks......upgrade the stock speakers in the tour pack.

Don't know what deck I'll go with, or what amp or speakers....so I'm all ears (no pun intended) on this subject.

Don't want to mess with the saddlebags and the space is too handy for jackets etc....but I'd give up my "glove boxes".....so maybe new 5.25", something to fit in the "glove box" and the 6" facing the forks? With a good deck and amp that should be plenty...Don't need a ton of bass (cutting back on my rap, yea that's it)....

I'm subscribing....

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm in the research phase of upgrading my '99 RG from stock two speakers in fairing and two in tour pack.

One guys suggested a Sony Marine deck that you can slide your iPhone in with all your music on it....replacing the factory speakers and putting some 6" speakers in the fairing facing the forks......upgrade the stock speakers in the tour pack.

Don't know what deck I'll go with, or what amp or speakers....so I'm all ears (no pun intended) on this subject.

Don't want to mess with the saddlebags and the space is too handy for jackets etc....but I'd give up my "glove boxes".....so maybe new 5.25", something to fit in the "glove box" and the 6" facing the forks? With a good deck and amp that should be plenty...Don't need a ton of bass (cutting back on my rap, yea that's it)....

I'm subscribing....
I went down today to gather stuff for upcoming teardown :
Clarion M502 true marine grade bluetooth head unit, iphone can stay in my pocket and play, hopefully it will control iphone via bluetooth like my Ford Sync system does.
Arc Audio 125.2 amp
Arc Audio adaptor rings to mount 6.5" in stock location

Undecided yet on speakers, but I will definitely be sacrificing my gloveboxes for best 6.5" speaker placement

I chose the Clarion after discussing with local installer and telling him that I ride in the rain and when I wash it it goes to the $.25 car wash and gets blasted pretty good. Just a personal preference.

Good luck, subscribing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Good points.....CaboverBob, that wet stuff.

Not only the deck but the speakers really need to tolerate the weather as well as my wash jobs too.

I've had good luck with Infinity (in cars) speakers....

Just like picking out the seat..lots of choices out there.

I'm sold on replacing the deck, adding an amp.....replacing the stock speakers too...jury is still out on putting any speakers down in the fairing facing the forks...but definitely willing to sacrifice the glove boxes.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I heard those Arcs are awesome. I'm interested to hear your feedback.

I believe that if we get the right way enclose it we can get a better bass response.

I just want to see if I can do it, otherwise it will just get louder!

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did that a year ago in Sept. So i know have 4 6 1/2 rockford in my inner fairing. 2 replacing the stock and the other 2 in the location you are talking about. The next thing is to put a amp on them to get some more sound.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the hawg wired 400w amp and 2 6.5" speakers to replace the stock.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the hawg wired 400w amp and 2 6.5" speakers to replace the stock.

I want to add the woofers to add bass.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do 6.5" speakers replace the stock ones in the fairing? my bad, I thought those were 5/25" speakers.

I have a tour pack for this bike I just bought....if I use it for storage for road trips...maybe I should pump up the volume with my saddlebags?? Add subs and more speakers? Don't want to mess with the paint scheme much though....

What are your thoughts? Anyone use their tour pack for subs?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The stock are 5.25, but the HGs have an adapter to 6.5.

It has a 400W w/ 4 channels 2 unused. Thus I want to add 2 small subs, and I'd save trunk space. The issue is fairing space and creating the bass enclosure.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Sounds like a challenge. I had kinda dropped the idea cause I didn't want to overload the charging system, but now I may have to do it.

I firmly believe that with proper enclosure size, Dynamat, and maybe even some ballast it can deliver a fair ammount of bass.
Its all about the enclosure. Bose uses that Wave technology which uses tubes and chambers to amplify bass and do an excellent job. The shark nose is kind of tight but hey you never know until you try. I was looking into the Dynamat also and since my bike is ripped apart right now its probably a good time to try it. I blast my system now with no charging system issues. I am looking into speaker lids and another RFG 300 watt 2 channel amp. There are also a couple after market inner fairing that hold more speakers but they are expensive! Let us know what you come up with cause I would defiantly want more Bass :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Definitely bro! If one of us benefits we all do.

I am on crutches right now (Achilles rupture), so I am basically acting out my mad scientist fantasy.

More bass, more cowbell, Muahahahahah!

Ok enough of that.

Thanks for the Bose info, I will research it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts