Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a 149BT with a hog wired six pack. I want to add a set of Infinity Kappa 62.11i to the inner fairing. Will I be able to run all 4 speakers off my HW amp if I wire the speakers in parallel? Is anyone running this setup and if so how does it sound? Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same question and idea for doing this on my 09. Slider 57 did something similar on his thread. He added extra fairing speakers to an Ultra so he already had a 4 channel system and added the 2 channel amp. He mentioned wiring in parallel but lost me partway through.

Other companies talk about 2 versus 4 channel amps I DO NOT want to got to go to the HD dealer to have my HK system 'reflashed' or what ever to 4 channel. I also see mention of guys using other amps (not part of a kit) for much less money but I'm assuming they are doing all their own wiring. I want "caveman" plug and play.

Any comments anyone?

·
Administrator
12,454 Posts
Depending on which Hawgwired amp you have, it's only going to be 2ohm stable if it's not an older 4 ohm system, if it's an older or newer amp, the answer is no, you shouldn't run the speakers parallel, your amp will heat pretty fast and probably not last to long, especially at volume. I faced this same problem with my rear and that's the only reason I don't run Infinity's back there. I would suggest you buy another amp, or if your speakers are 4 ohm, buy another set of 4 ohm and put them in parallel, (that's if you have a 2 ohm stable amp).

·
Registered
264 Posts
I installed a 149BT with a hog wired six pack. I want to add a set of Infinity Kappa 62.11i to the inner fairing. Will I be able to run all 4 speakers off my HW amp if I wire the speakers in parallel? Is anyone running this setup and if so how does it sound? Thank you.
Yes. Your amp is 2 ohm stable. The kappas are two ohm. The other speakers are 4 ohm. Running in parallel makes the amp draw 3 ohms, which is in the safe zone. I have never heard hawg wired speakers so I cant tell you how they sound. I have heard the kappas and they are LOUD AND CLEAR! I have yet to hear anything close to those kappas on a bike. But, like I said before, I have never heard the hawg wired. Even if I had heard them, the price alone puts them out of the league of the kappas.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yes. Your amp is 2 ohm stable. The kappas are two ohm. The other speakers are 4 ohm. Running in parallel makes the amp draw 3 ohms, which is in the safe zone. I have never heard hawg wired speakers so I cant tell you how they sound. I have heard the kappas and they are LOUD AND CLEAR! I have yet to hear anything close to those kappas on a bike. But, like I said before, I have never heard the hawg wired. Even if I had heard them, the price alone puts them out of the league of the kappas.
You might want to check your calculations.. Running two 4 ohms speakers in Parallel results in 2 ohms load on the amp.. Running two 2 ohms speakers in parallel results in a 1 ohm load. Mixing 2 ohms and 4 ohms wouldn't be 3. In addition power to each would not be balanced. Power will tend to go to path of least resistance (2 ohms speaker). I never liked mixing in parallel. My thoughts...

·
Administrator
12,454 Posts
You might want to check your calculations.. Running two 4 ohms speakers in Parallel results in 2 ohms load on the amp.. Running two 2 ohms speakers in parallel results in a 1 ohm load. Mixing 2 ohms and 4 ohms wouldn't be 3. In addition power to each would not be balanced. Power will tend to go to path of least resistance (2 ohms speaker). I never liked mixing in parallel. My thoughts...
Absolutely correct. For those who aren't familiar with electronics, the resistance in a parallel circuit is always lower than the lowest resistor, so that means since 2 ohms is the lowest, the resistance is going to be lower for the parallel circuit.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
264 Posts
Absolutely correct. For those who aren't familiar with electronics, the resistance in a parallel circuit is always lower than the lowest resistor, so that means since 2 ohms is the lowest, the resistance is going to be lower for the parallel circuit.

Sent from my SPH-L710
I stand corrected. Did my math and forgot about the path of least resistance and using the lowest ohm as the baseline. My bad...I hope I didnt cause him to burn up his amp!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts