Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A lot of discussion on what windshield to use to reduce buffeting and a lot of talk about the lowers and winglets or whatever you call them. I haven't read anything on what everyone thinks of the inner fairing deflectors and how well they work for buffeting. I currently run the 12" KW and love it with my half helmet and for around town, but on long trips with possibilities of rain all day, I wear my full face and then I get buffeting, especially at highway speeds of over 70mph. I am 5'-9" and use stock seat. Thinking about 15" windvest, but does the inner deflectors help enough with buffeting that I could still run my KW. I also would run soft lowers to help. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I HAVE LOWERS AND A 14' LRS MAKO. the deflectors didn't do anything for me. I took them off and didn't notice the difference.

·
Banned
845 Posts
I have lowers as well, I run CEE BAILEY's TRSCC Euro.... Its like a KW shield and looks good but does way better for protection. I love the shield, hated my 12" KW - then went to the cee bailey and Im sold on it. I will always have their shield on my bike, unless I get a MadStad.

I had the GADS, side deflectors and they didnt do anything at all, when running with lowers anyways but I think they get great reviews from the ones without lowers. The inner deflectors came stock on my ultra, don't think they make a huge difference but you can tell if they are taken off a little.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Gray Beard
1,522 Posts
I have the inner deflectors the fork deflector and a. 10" windvest , this combo works well , the deflectors do help, I'm 6'3" I don't think you need such a tall shield with these deflectors they really do help

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I didn't think they did much till I took them off. I usually wear a ball cap forward when I ride. When I took them off I could not keep it on. I also have hard lowers. I tried the KW 12. Loved the look but all the wind went right in my ears. The Cee Bailey TRSSC looks a lot like the KW but for me it performs much better. It is just a little taller but it makes a huge differance.

·
Registered
454 Posts
They'll help a little.

They will cut some of the wind down but are not a cure for buffeting. You might be better off changing the windshield or helmet, since you feel it more with a full face helmet. Have you tried closing the vents on top of the helmet?Since switching to the 11in Madstad I have no buffeting. Lower fairings would fix it or maybe Gads.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The flaps were an important piece of the Aero puzzle for me. 6'4"

The Flaps, GADDS LTTD, Vented Lowers, 12" WindSplitter = Aerodynamic Nirvana!

Nothing but Clean Air at any speed, w/ or w/o a helmet!

And I don't have to run no Ugly Windshield!

My advice is to run the flaps & GADDS LTTD, BEFORE you start shuffling Windshields. They're only about $50. combined. How often do you see these in the for sale section as opposed to windshields???

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
GADS is a vendor here

·
Registered
325 Posts
Madstad IS the fix for helmet buffeting on a Road glide.... I tried just about everything,
MAD-STAD works Period:)

·
Registered
714 Posts
Madstad IS the fix for helmet buffeting on a Road glide.... I tried just about everything,
MAD-STAD works Period:)
for what it's worth, i'm still trying to find the right spot for my 13" madstad to stop the buffeting. It's "better" but I've still shaken around quite a bit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have installed the fork baffle and the wind deflectors you are referring to, it cut down on the buffeting when running with a 13" Cee Glide and 12" windvest and 12" KW windshields. I loved my Cee Glide, but couldn't use it with the HD Road Glide windshield trim. So I switched to the 12" KW, even though it wasn't a beffeting issue, too much air was divererted to my ears. I am happy with my 12" windvest now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I installed Gads last week and it cut down on the turbulent air significantly but didn't fix my buffering problem. I ordered a 14" LRS Mako which should be here Thursday. Hope the Mako works and if it doesn't I'll try the ugly Madstad.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Mako

I installed Gads last week and it cut down on the turbulent air significantly but didn't fix my buffering problem. I ordered a 14" LRS Mako which should be here Thursday. Hope the Mako works and if it doesn't I'll try the ugly Madstad.
I'll appreciate seeing your report on the Mako... TIA

·
Registered
2 Posts
A lot of discussion on what windshield to use to reduce buffeting and a lot of talk about the lowers and winglets or whatever you call them. I haven't read anything on what everyone thinks of the inner fairing deflectors and how well they work for buffeting. I currently run the 12" KW and love it with my half helmet and for around town, but on long trips with possibilities of rain all day, I wear my full face and then I get buffeting, especially at highway speeds of over 70mph. I am 5'-9" and use stock seat. Thinking about 15" windvest, but does the inner deflectors help enough with buffeting that I could still run my KW. I also would run soft lowers to help. Thanks.
I'm 5'-7" I bought the windvest 14" hoping it would help some. NOT! My other half started bitchin' she couldn't stand the wind and couldn't here the radio. So I ended up putting the stock shield back on my Ultra. Anyway I bought a set of deflectors at the dealer that clip on the crash guards and tank. She asked me what I was doing and told her I'm putting wind deflectors on and left it at that. So off we go and I noticed immediately the wind noise was gone. After a few more miles and a quick blast up to 75mph I get asked what station are we listening to its coming in great, and my helmets not getting yanked off my head anymore. So I for one say they work. Now I'm going to have to try it out with the windvest shield and hope it works because I really like the looks better than the stock shield.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts