Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 FLTRX with 55K miles with a whirling noise coming from the inner primary.

The inner primary whirling noise can be heard when the bike is idling and it is in neutral; the noise goes away when you hold in the clutch and drop the transmission into gear. Like others have noted, and as diagnosed by my local Indy, I have an inner primary bearing problem.

Well I just pulled the inner primary, clutch, etc. and took a few pictures of the inner primary bearing RACE that is located on the transmission shaft. In the pictures below you will see the overall RACE, and three different PITS that I found.

It also appears to me that the inner primary roller bearing rode on just the edges of the RACE instead across the full width; in the pictures you will see a dark area that runs around the entire RACE and is centered. This dark area appears to have no roller bearing wear marks at all. I expected to see roller bearing wear marks across the entire face or width of the RACE, not just the edges. Is this normal wear for this MOCO design?

The roller bearing itself doesn’t have any apparent defect, but it is harder to inspect than the RACE. The bearing SEAL was functional; it was not leaking.

Now to focus on replacing the RACE, roller bearing, etc., and getting it all back together.

Attachments

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Two more PITS pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I would not reassemble that primary without replacing the bearing. I use the Baker high torque bearing on all the primaries I work on, especially the later models with the primary chain auto-tensioner

·
Registered
7,238 Posts
Definitely change the bearing before you put it back together. It would be foolish not to

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the plan is to replace the RACE and the Roller Bearing. Was surprised to see that the stock Roller Bearing comes from Germany, INA is the mfg.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts