Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again,

For anyone that followed my last post called "Not Cool" I have done some studying and have come up with two approaches to cool this bike down and possibly make it run a little better.

Option one: A pair of Vance Hines dresser duals, maybe the stock muffs, an Arlen Ness big sucker intake made for OEM cover, and an EJK tuner.

Option two: A pair of repurposed stock exhausts(no cat) maybe stock muffs or repurposed stock muffs with selectable changeable baffles by American Custom, the same Arlen Ness intake, and no tuner.

I'd like to retain the stock exhaust for the top shelf in my basement in the semi probable event that run away government, the ever expanding police state, and bureuacratic EPA criminals become even more out of control.

My favorite sound is crickets, tree frogs, and the breeze going down the road.

Thoughtful comments, advice, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
10,586 Posts
Hello again,

For anyone that followed my last post called "Not Cool" I have done some studying and have come up with two approaches to cool this bike down and possibly make it run a little better.

Option one: A pair of Vance Hines dresser duals, maybe the stock muffs, an Arlen Ness big sucker intake made for OEM cover, and an EJK tuner.

Option two: A pair of repurposed stock exhausts(no cat) maybe stock muffs or repurposed stock muffs with selectable changeable baffles by American Custom, the same Arlen Ness intake, and no tuner.

I'd like to retain the stock exhaust for the top shelf in my basement in the semi probable event that run away government, the ever expanding police state, and bureuacratic EPA criminals become even more out of control.

My favorite sound is crickets, tree frogs, and the breeze going down the road.

Thoughtful comments, advice, and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
If you add more air and a free flowing exhaust, your going to need some sort of fuel enrichment.

Reactions: AnCap

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Overly excited newbie getting all wound up here. Anyhow, I bought the bike when the weather was in the high nineties. This weekend its been in the high seventies.
Supertrapps and 15 tons of extra bs sounds good down the road but for now think I'll pick up a fleabay set of decatted takeoffs.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
You don't have to spend a whole bunch of money to cool the bike down, and make it run considerably better.

The cheapest method is to remove the catalytic converter from the head pipes. And good indy shop can do this for you, maybe $100 to cut it out and weld the header back up. The stock crossover head pipe actually breathes pretty well.

True duals actually reduce HP. Pretty much all slip-ons are basically a muffler with the baffle removed. Again, pick one that you like the look and sound of. Until you get into serious engine builds, you are not going to see any significant difference in performance, and even then only at WOT redline conditions.

There are many good aftermarket air cleaners that breathe well, and won't break the bank. You don't need some monster one, just something that lets in a bit more air. Back in the old days, you could put in a K&N filter, and drill out the back of the stock air box. Not elegant, but it worked well.

There are tons of tuners out there, pick your poison. As Big Gary mentioned, they are Absolutely Necessary. Stock HD's run stupid lean to begin with. If you open up the exhaust and air cleaner, you are making it run even leaner. Adding a tuner alone, and no exhaust/intake will yield performance gains, and cool them down. Don't skip on some kind of tuner, or you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Good luck with your decision...

Reactions: AnCap

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was pretty sure the bike would need a tune and Big Gary verified it with his answer. Having a hard time cozying up to an intake called a Big Sucker as it is starting to look like a lot of after market Harley parts are made for such. I did find Fuel Moto has a reasonable priced up sized intake that will retain the stock air box cover.
Called the Harley dealer service guy today with 88 questions. He told me I needed a Harley sanctioned 200 dollar stage one down load and not a tuner to possibly screw things up.

On another note, I talked to a KCKS Harley Police bike mechanic today (girlfriends neighbors son) about the high dollar Harley break in oil change check out. He seemed to think it is a fluids change and a drive by inspection that costs alot. My observations and experience with service departments anywhere for motorcycles has been that they are often overly populated with apprentices and usually only one or two guys that actually know their apple sauce. Their usually ramrodding the Jr Woodchucks and not doing much of the work. Quantity but not much quality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.