Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys
The wife and I have our annual trip coming up the first week of september, the 3rd thru the 8th. We will be hitting the road on Labor Day (not our favorite day to travel but....) and have the next 5 days to cruise around. We were going to head up to the Sawtooth Mountains in Idaho but considering the fire or fires up there they really don't need tourists around. Plus we are dealing with the smoke from those fires here at home, really don't need to ride into it.

So....
Hows Yellowstone NP, Cody and Beartooth Pass this time of year? I haunt been up there in 20 years so it would be nice to go. Jacksons is a good days ride from home here so we could toodle around up there for 3 days or so and then head home. I figure the real rush of heavy traffic in the park should be tapering down by then as most kids are back in school and summer break is over.

Is it too late for the run over the Beartooth Pass to Red Lodge? I know their September up there is a lot different than ours here! We will take any advise anyone has on the subject. Weather, places to stay and eat... stuff like that.

Edit to add,
Don't know if those fires in Idaho have smoked up the scenery up there too?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I went over Beartooth and through Yellowstone during that time a few years ago. The park is still pretty busy I guess a lot of empty nesters go to the park in the fall. Be prepared for any kind of weather we had 80 degree temps in the park and snow on Beartooth the next day followed by 70's the day after that. If you plan on a motel room close to the park make reservations West Yellowstone was full that week and luckily we had them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I too am interested. I will be in that area as well the first week of September. I was not aware of any current fires? I know WA is getting hit.
I had read there was a pretty big fire about 100 miles to the north east of Boise. Right where we was thinking of heading. I have an Internet buddy just outside of Boise, we've been thinking about getting together for a couple years now, guess its going to be longer now!

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
I rode Beartooth pass from Cody, WY to Chief Joseph highway to Red Lodge MT last Friday. It was beautiful. It is a little chilly up top, but I can't imagine 3-weeks after I was there being much different. It was overcast that day, but not from any fires. Looks like the fires are much farther west in Montana.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
We've only had a few small fires over here...I haven't been over the mtns to check around beartooth since 4th of july.When we rode then it was 60's and rainy.

hmm,rain..something we haven't seen all summer here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
On our recent trip to Sturgis we went from Rawlins, WY through Grand Teton NP and spent the night in Jackson, WY. The next day we went on the other side of Grand Teton NP to the West side of Yellow Stone NP to Cody. It was an awesome ride and traffic even during the week of Sturgis was not that bad. We really did not see a great number of bikes until we got to Cody, WY. A few years back in the same time of year we left Yellowstone and hit the Chief Joseph Hwy, which was an awesome ride. Have a great time.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
137 Posts
Go for it, could be a little chilly in the am but should warm up by 10am or so. Heading for the Black Hills myself on the 28th..Have fun. It snowed on me on the 18 of July on top of Beartooth couple of years ago, so anything can happen.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well that trips off too.

Talked to a ranger in the Grand Tetons today.... They havnt seen the Teton mountains in 12 days now the smoke is so thick.

Now we're at a loss as to where to go. Kinda sucks to plan a trip then not be able to see anything because of all these fires. Kinda defeats the purpose of even going. Back to the drawing board....

W

·
0 Posts
You never can tell about the weather up there. A month ago it was beautiful and warm. I'd go for it and enjoy your ride. You can always dial 511 and see what road conditions are like.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Boise and are planning a custer / sturgis / beartooth pass run the 1st week of Sept. We have had serious smoke for the past several weeks. Some days, the visibility was down to a half mile.

we were hoping a trip east would get us out of the muck, but I'm not suprised at the reports. everything is on fire this year!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Well that trips off too.

Talked to a ranger in the Grand Tetons today.... They havnt seen the Teton mountains in 12 days now the smoke is so thick.

Now we're at a loss as to where to go. Kinda sucks to plan a trip then not be able to see anything because of all these fires. Kinda defeats the purpose of even going. Back to the drawing board....
Just got back from BC and it was nice up north.

W

·
0 Posts
The fires have been really bad in Montana this year and it was released on the news that we've had over 1,300 fires in the state. Going for a ride today and hoping the smoke isn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
saw the ash last night at work...was kind of weird before that,the smoke got worse and blotted out the sun,and you could feel heat coming from the pavement in the parking lot.

smoke is pretty bad down here in the bitterroot,can barely see across the valley,makes me cough when I go outside.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Well that trips off too.

Where did you decide to go. We are playing by ear once we get to Custer SD. We leave the 31st from Texas.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I went over Beartooth and through Yellowstone during that time a few years ago. The park is still pretty busy I guess a lot of empty nesters go to the park in the fall. Be prepared for any kind of weather we had 80 degree temps in the park and snow on Beartooth the next day followed by 70's the day after that. If you plan on a motel room close to the park make reservations West Yellowstone was full that week and luckily we had them.
I have that same picture. In 2010 we crossed Beartooth and they were doing roadwork,they were stopping traffic at this point.We all got off our bikes and walked around and took pictures for several minutes until it was time for us to pass.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts