Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having this issue? Im a big guy, but short legs, I have a 30" inseam. My pants are scratching my tank already pretty bad, and Ive only had the bike on the road 10 days. What is anyone using to protect the tank up against the seat? Ive tried Meguires Scratch X, but it didnt do much to help. Each time after riding I scratch X, but my pants are doing a number on the tank already.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My balls rub my tank too. Its what happened when your big. I am gonna try the 3m if that doesn't work. I am gonna let the tank naturally patina with my gear :)
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Somebody caught my coverup story :D. Never heard of that clear film. Seems like a great idea, but I just dont want something noticable. Then again, if it will help the paint, Im all for it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Used this on my Sportster. Worked great.

http://www.autotrimdesign.net/Harley-Davidson_Motorcycles_Paint_Protection_Kits.asp?Format=

I'd get it for the Glide but would stand out with the blk denim.
I just had someone else also tell me about this stuff. I purchased the pieces needed for the rear of both sides of the tank. A little pricey, but Im ok with spending the money to protect the paint. I spend tons of time keeping my stuff spotless, so me and scratches, do mix too well. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I'm afraid I fit into this category and I have the same condition on my tank and I don't even know where to begin to buff polish or repair my tank from my inseam rubs ! I went for the daddy long legs seat and that was my first step to no longer touching my tank. The factory seat created rub marks on my side panels, the new seat no longer touches there. Now someone comes out with protection !

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Those things make just as much damage but only further up. I installed one on my buddy's CVO and the thing fit like my ass (let me know if ya need pics) , its another ploy for HD to take more money from us. I had him return it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Go to any Bike shop that sells dirt bikes. They sell small sheets of different color 3m mylar in different colors including clear for about $15 for 3 sheets. I put clear on my tank where the seat rubs and on the bag lids where the wife always seems to hit getting on and off. Works great, looks ok. And comes off after a year with no damage to the paint. And to me its all about protecting the paint....

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Oh, no, here we go - another hijacked thread.:eek: Every time Refi starts talking about his balls, bad things happen.
Mutt did reficul tell you that in his men's league softball game he used an eye patch as a jock strap??:cool:

To the OP. I don't know if theres a good fix for this. I've seen that film and you can see it in my opinion. I have a black bike which shows everything. Sometimes a little scratch remover and a gentle wet sanding our the best options to restore it...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Try floorboard spacers, will move your legs out so they won't rub, also diff. floorboards longer and solid mounted helped me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I use the Novus Plastic #2 fine scratch remover. Does a nice job on the clear coat. Once had my saddle bag off in the garage and it fell over and the lid opened and had 3 nasty scratches. A little wet sand and then Novus and the scratches were gone.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Mutt did reficul tell you that in his men's league softball game he used an eye patch as a jock strap??:cool:

To the OP. I don't know if theres a good fix for this. I've seen that film and you can see it in my opinion. I have a black bike which shows everything. Sometimes a little scratch remover and a gentle wet sanding our the best options to restore it...
LOL and a cup as a mouth guard :)

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Throw sheep skin over your seat. The back of the head of the sheep will lay over the snout of your seat and offer some protection in that area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts