Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crate 120r began to have real noise issue. Rode maybe a total of 20 km before pulling motor. Hope the pics are attached. Just curious as to what caused it.

I'm assuming crank runout, junk bearings??

10,000 miles on this thing lol. Yes I rode it like I stole it.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Did you check the crank runout yet??
It is either the crank runout or the crank bearings but if either conditions were present it would seem that you would have felt excessive vibration in the engine.
Did you check the Gerotor gears in the oil pump and if you did did you see any unusual wear?? The oil pump may not have been line up properly and it may have caused the wear.
The cams and lifters are junk which make one wonder if they are defective parts. I would think that the lifters are the first thing that was going out and if they are the SE lifters they only last about 10,000 miles before the roller bearing go out (at least the SE lifters I had did).
Did you find a lot of metal particles in the cam chest?? Some of the particles may have got into the oil pumps gerotor gears and the cam plate.
I wouldn't worry about the cam chain tensioner shoe wear it isn't that bad and the wear may be caused by the excess metal in the cam chest but I would replace them anyways.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Havent checked runout. The motor is this far apart it'll be getting shipped to Tman for a bottom end treatment and to rework the heads.

Looks like something got between the pump and cam plate. Likely going to gear drives along with new pump.

thanks for the info.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I would check the runout before pulling the engine. If the runout is within HD specs then there is nothing wrong with the crank or crank bearings and the issue was what got between the oil pump gerotor gears and the cam plate which was probably metal particles from the roller bearings on the lifters or the cam lobes.
Did you pull the oil filter and cut it in half to check for excess metal in the filter media?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, i didnt cut filter in half. Plus its long gone now, otherwise i would just out of curiosity. Doesnt really matter as the damage is done. And i pulled the motor right away. Had a spare 103 stage 4 collecting dust. Easier to pull and work on it. Plus still have a bike to ride in the meantime

No kids= time to improve the 120. Looks like i'll be sending it Tmans way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Think i have the same problem. Started running real rough last week at the Ralley. All kind of noise from the primary, motor, transmission. 9100 miles. @)";¥£>%#.
Still hav extended waranty but dealer svs sucks. Can i transfer the waranty?
What were the symptoms that caised you to start tearing it apart?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts