Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for anyone who has installed the comm cable (7 DIN) from the Boom system to the back of the fuel tank on the left side. I saw a RGS with it installed so I bought the cable, now just need to install it. Do you need to remove the tank? The only video I can find is on a SGS (lawabidingbiker.com). Pics would be awesome if you have em.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Looking for anyone who has installed the comm cable (7 DIN) from the Boom system to the back of the fuel tank on the left side. I saw a RGS with it installed so I bought the cable, now just need to install it. Do you need to remove the tank? The only video I can find is on a SGS (lawabidingbiker.com). Pics would be awesome if you have em.
I installed one on my old 15 RGS, the instructions do state you remove the tank in order to route the cable in the wiring tray under the tank and this is the proper way of running the harness(the video from lawabidingbiker.com is good to see how to install the harness and ground wire. the street glide is a bit different, but when looking at the back of the radio you will see where to plug the harness into). I used that same video to get an idea how to plug everything in. The tank is easy to remove and the location under the fairing to plug the cable into is very easy to find, there is also a ground wire you install in the factory harness and than to the back of the radio. I suggest running a small wire, like some safety wire, on the left side of the bike to attach it to the end of your harness to help in pulling the harness down to route to the wiring tray(pushing the wire up towards to front of the bike starting from a access point just in front of the tank), sorry I do not have any pictures.

If you do not like the idea of having the plug mounted on the left side of the tank, I suggest going to a auction site and look for a center console that has the CB location in the console, some are very reasonable priced. You can always have it powder coated and the insert is very easy to remove to have that done. I believe 1998 - current will fit - double check the years. The cable you purchase from HD will fit in these consoles just fine and it looks like factory. If you decide to go that route and run the harness in the wiring tray, the cable you purchased will not be long enough to route in the tray and reach the mounting point on the center console, it will be about 2-6 inches too short. I extended my harness 12" to give plenty of lead or you can have a indy extend the harness for you. Like I mentioned, this way it looks like a factory install. Hopefully all of that makes sense, I will be happy to work with any further questions you may have. I believe I still have the cable I extended laying around if you wanted to take that cable back for a refund, if you would be interested in purchasing to go the console route. Either way you decide, I will be glad to answer any questions you have.

Also, you will need the dealer to flash your radio to activate the new harness for it to work properly..

·
Registered
42 Posts
I installed one on my 15 RGS, the instructions that come with the cable are very good(if you purchased a new cable from HD). The instructions do state you remove the tank in order to route the cable in the wiring tray under the tank and this is the proper way of running the harness(the video from lawabidingbiker.com is good to see how to install the ground wire). The tank is easy to remove and the location under the fairing to plug the cable into is very easy to find, there is also a ground wire you install in the factory harness and than to the back of the radio. I suggest running a small wire, like some safety wire, on the left side of the bike to attach it to the end of your harness to help in pulling the harness down to route to the wiring tray(pushing the wire up towards to front of the bike starting from a access point just in front of the tank), sorry I do not have any pictures.

If you do not like the idea of having the plug mounted on the left side of the tank, I suggest going to a auction site and look for a center console that has the CB location in the console, some are very reasonable priced. You can always have it powder coated and the insert is very easy to remove to have that done. I believe 1998 - current will fit - double check the years. The cable you purchase from HD will fit in these consoles just fine and it looks like factory. If you decide to go that route and run the harness in the wiring tray, the cable you purchased will not be long enough to route in the tray and reach the mounting point on the center console, it will be about 2-6 inches too short. I extended my harness 12" to give plenty of lead or you can have a indy do it. Like I mentioned, this way it looks like a factory install. Hopefully all of that makes sense, I will be happy to work with any further questions you may have. I believe I still have the cable I extended laying around if you wanted to take that cable back for a refund, if you would be interested in purchasing to go the console route. Either way you decide, I will be glad to answer any questions you have.
FLTRXS18, Would you happen to still have the part #'s for everything. I have a friend that has a 16 RGS and we are looking to install a cb on his.
Thanks DRKRGU

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
FLTRXS18, Would you happen to still have the part #'s for everything. I have a friend that has a 16 RGS and we are looking to install a cb on his.
Thanks DRKRGU
Sorry, I do not have the part numbers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts