Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a couple days away from pulling the heads off of my 09 with a 103 kit and SE255 cams to install comp releases. I have done the SE compensater sprocket upgrade and changed out the starter clutch last summer. No more back lash at start up. However when its hot it is hard for the starter to spin it over. I've spent quite a bit of money getting the engine dyno tuned to run with these cams. Should I bite the bullet and change out the cams? Or go ahead with the compression releases? If I change cams I will have to have it retuned and that's not cheap. I can do the realeses for $150 in head work plus gaskets. I will do the labor either way. Thanks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I had the same problem with my 09 after the 103 kit and cams. I had swapped the compensator, then the starter drive. The problem with the 255 is the overlap in the valves causes problems on hot restart as well as a lot of extra heat. I did the manual head releases and swapped out the cams to tman 555 torqsters. I believe if you're happy with the cams, the way to go is the manual compression releases. If you don't you will end up replacing the starter drive again in another couple of years. You wont need to used them when the motor is cold or after some cooling.

I did like the improvement of the cams more torque and less heat. Definitely not necessary to do both.
However, for anybody that is about to swap cams without auto compression releases, I would consider a different cams than the 255.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I run a 103 BB and no compression releases and I don't have any starting issues and my starter been in the bike since 09. I did run the SE255 with this build but now I run the Woods TW222 which I like better. I would do the cam swap first IMO and see what happens then if needed you could do the CRs.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
If your happy with your cams just put compression releases in. Since your doing the labor yourself from a monetary standpoint this would make more sense. New cams and a tune will cost a lot more than $150.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I've been leaning towards. Just thought I'd see what everyone else thinks on the subject. I know the 255s seem to run hotter than other similar cams I guess will just have to live with it until the next big up grade like maybe a 110".

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
High torque starter instead of compression releases? Or in addition to the releases? I asked the dyno tuner about a high torque starter he said not to bother with it, just install comp releases.

·
Banned
88 Posts
compression releases would be the way to go if your liking the 255 cams,personally I like the S&S .551`s or .583`s better than the 255`s & their both available with the EZ start option

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not that I really like these cams all that much but they have only been in a couple years and would really suck to through away the money spent on them and the dyno tune. So I'm going to do the manual releases for now. I think the money will be better spent that way.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Good choice on the manuel ones , i looked at it as anything to help ease the start up is like good insurance. Had the 255s awhile back and you see the diferance night and day. Now have the T-Man 590 and they start a lot easier but i still use the manuels every time .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts