Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told by two different HD shops that they can install compression releases without removing the heads. Has anyone had releases installed this way? How did they turn out any issues after the install?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
I guess that depends on whether the heads are pre-fitted for them (do they sell heads pre-drilled?). If they have to do any machining, not a very good idea. I would not like to have my cylinders filled with metal shavings.

·
Administrator
12,511 Posts
I agree with ONG, unless for some strange reason there's already a hole tapped for the CR's and it's plugged off, no way are you drilling my heads on the bike.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No the heads are not per machined for releases. They have a fixture that is secured to the top of the head after the rocker boxes have been removed. They do all the machine work except the small hole that goes into the combustion chamber. They then screw a fitting into the spark plug hole and pressurize the cylinder with air. Then drill the small hole into the chamber and any chips blow out. At least that is how the dealers explained it to me.

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
That sounds like a reasonable approach, but I would still be uneasy doing it that way. The expectation that metal particles would escape thru a small hole make me skeptical.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's pretty much how I feel about it. Sounds to good to be true. I was talking to a tool and die maker and he said that he didn't see anything wrong with doing it this way. But I'm a little sceptical. Has any one out there done this with their bike?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK I sent Jim's performance an email and asked if their compression releases fixture can be used with the heads on the engine. They said do not use fixture with heads on the engine. That solves that.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I 'Always' ask the dealership or anyone doing work to explain, step by step, how any work will be done.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
For my bike, I would never do it that way. All it takes is one tiny sliver and you can wreak havoc inside an engine. I believe these are Aluminum heads, so the magnet on the drain plug is not gonna catch it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I am a toolmaker with 35 years in the trade,if any body says that they can driil the heads and not get aluminum chips down in the clys,i am calling bullshit,it do this every day and it is amazing how many chips and in what places they get.Blowing air into the clys is their approach of making the customer feel good about it,no way would i have this done.as the drill breaks thru the last bit of chips exit are blocked by the dia of the drill,its only exit is along the relief flutes of the drill which are very small.

·
Banned
88 Posts
HD dealers are NOT machine shops or have any machinist that work for them,can the fixture be put on the head & machine the holes,yes.would any decent shop ever do it like that,no.any shop that wants to do ANY machining into the motor (heads,cases,whatever)with out disassembly,RUN to another shop

1 - 13 of 13 Posts