Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Sony AX-7000 head unit, Cerwin-Vega B52 amp, and a pair of MMATS PA601cx speakers. I have a 2018 RGS. What else will I need to complete the installation? Wiring harness? Amp rack? Is there a kit I can/should buy that has all the odds and ends I need?

Appreciate the help in advance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Whatever you buy, make sure power and ground wire are Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) Wire.

If you want hands off and super plug and play, buy this kit and if you want extra speakers later it will be good for you.

2-/4-Channel Universal Amp Wiring Kit for 1998 and Up Harley-Davidson Touring Motorcycles

No cutting required. Otherwise buy, stinger, NVX, kicker, Rockford Fosgate, wires for power and 3-4” RCA’s.

Be sure to run both Power and Ground to the battery, this isn’t like Car Audio. Grounds on the frame of the bike CAN be unstable. You won’t need a radio flash because you are using an aftermarket radio. Depending on which radio harness you buy, you may need something to control hand controls on for the radio. Everything else is pretty simple setup.

If you think later you may want to run lids or speakers in the bag, you can do so now especially if you buy the Stinger kit above, so you don’t have to pull the tank off more than once.

Others will chime in as well, this is a great group here that have done it all!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whatever you buy, make sure power and ground wire are Oxygen Free Copper (OFC) Wire.

If you want hands off and super plug and play, buy this kit and if you want extra speakers later it will be good for you.

2-/4-Channel Universal Amp Wiring Kit for 1998 and Up Harley-Davidson Touring Motorcycles

No cutting required. Otherwise buy, stinger, NVX, kicker, Rockford Fosgate, wires for power and 3-4” RCA’s.

Be sure to run both Power and Ground to the battery, this isn’t like Car Audio. Grounds on the frame of the bike CAN be unstable. You won’t need a radio flash because you are using an aftermarket radio. Depending on which radio harness you buy, you may need something to control hand controls on for the radio. Everything else is pretty simple setup.

If you think later you may want to run lids or speakers in the bag, you can do so now especially if you buy the Stinger kit above, so you don’t have to pull the tank off more than once.

Others will chime in as well, this is a great group here that have done it all!!!
Thank you. This is helpful. So if I’ve done my homework properly, the Sony head unit came with the plug and play wiring kit to retain handlebar controls. The wiring kits you reference will take care of the wiring from head unit to amp, amp to speakers, and amp to battery. Is that correct?

Next step is actually installing. Are you or others aware of a start to finish “how-to” installation videos or threads?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Start a installing blah thread and everyone will chime in. Post pics and ask questions. I have an alert set for all Audio threads.

Do you know how to take the fairing off? Taking the radio out is easy, 4 bolts. 4 bolts for the headlight too. Once you start, you’ll see that it is super simple to remove those two and the rest is mounting the amp. Keep posting here or start a new thread. I’ll help where I can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Start a installing blah thread and everyone will chime in. Post pics and ask questions. I have an alert set for all Audio threads.

Do you know how to take the fairing off? Taking the radio out is easy, 4 bolts. 4 bolts for the headlight too. Once you start, you’ll see that it is super simple to remove those two and the rest is mounting the amp. Keep posting here or start a new thread. I’ll help where I can.
I’ve watched a few videos now. Everything looks fairly straight forward. All of the videos I’ve watched though show connecting an amp to the factory head unit vs an aftermarket. Since I’m connecting to an aftermarket head unit, I’m thinking I don’t need any Harley specific wiring harness. Just a harness long enough to run power from the battery to the amp. Other than that I think I have everything I need.

Then I’ll just need to do some research on how to setup the head unit and amp settings for the MMATS.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Your best best would be to pull the tank off and run the power and ground directly to the battery in the main harness channel on the backbone of the frame. It will keep everything neat with no risk of rubbing and chafing. Also keep the power and ground on separate sides of the channel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your best best would be to pull the tank off and run the power and ground directly to the battery in the main harness channel on the backbone of the frame. It will keep everything neat with no risk of rubbing and chafing. Also keep the power and ground on separate sides of the channel
Thanks. I really like the KnuKoncepts wiring kit. The ground cable is only 3’ though. Is that enough to make it to the battery? Thinking I’ll need to get a longer cable.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,416 Posts
Check out fathead for some videos on install with the Sony. Did you purchase it through Fathead? If so I have heard they have great customer support, so any questions you have along the way they may be able to walk you through.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check out fathead for some videos on install with the Sony. Did you purchase it through Fathead? If so I have heard they have great customer support, so any questions you have along the way they may be able to walk you through.
Thanks. I did purchase it through them. I’m comfortable with that installation, just want to make sure I’ve got a plan for the amp and speakers.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,416 Posts
Thanks. I did purchase it through them. I’m comfortable with that installation, just want to make sure I’ve got a plan for the amp and speakers.
The install is pretty straight forward. Nothing special about hooking up to the sony. Just rca's out to the amp, run new speaker wire from amp to speakers. I have done my install but have not finished setting up the amp. Waiting for the weather to get out of -30C before I venture back out to the garage lol.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Thanks. I really like the KnuKoncepts wiring kit. The ground cable is only 3’ though. Is that enough to make it to the battery? Thinking I’ll need to get a longer cable.
3' i dont think will be long enough. Straight line from the battery to the steering neck is about that length. You'll have to add a couple feet for wire routing and inside the fairing routing.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Once you swap the head unit and figure out where you'll be mounting the amp its pretty straight forward. Like Ike said it's just a set of rca cable's from the radio to the amp then speaker wire from amp to speakers. Adjusting the amp setting can be a little tricky. If you use the EQ settings like bass boost or whatever on the radio it'sadvisable to adjust those as best as possible first before you start messing with the gains on the amp as the EQ setting can override the amp loudness which will start distorting the speakers. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube that can help with that

·
Registered
434 Posts

This is exactly what I’m doing. I have this kit, the stinger amp and the MMATS, all waiting to go in. I’m going to run speaker wires for the TP while I’m running the power. I have a waterproof connector to make the TP destabilize easy.

As it turns out, I took off the fairing today, to do the garage door opener install. So I’ve had a chance to look over the harnesses and such. Now I’m debating NOT putting it back together and just going ahead with the stereo right now.

Good luck with the install! Post pics and keep us posted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
About to order the wiring harness from KnuKonceptz. I’ll give them a call to ask for their guidance, but any thoughts from the group?

I think I can just order this kit and be fine. It comes with 8 gauge battery cable with 60 amp fuse and 14 gauge speaker wire, both OFC. Kolossus Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit - Merchandise

But I don’t mind paying an extra $30 for the upgraded kit if it will actually make a difference in my setup. 4 gauge battery cable with 120 amp fuse. Speaker wire is 12 gauge. Kolossus Fleks 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit - Merchandise

I’ll need to order a longer ground battery cable for either since the kit only comes with 3’ and that won’t be enough to make it from amp to battery.

All input is appreciated

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
About to order the wiring harness from KnuKonceptz. I’ll give them a call to ask for their guidance, but any thoughts from the group?

I think I can just order this kit and be fine. It comes with 8 gauge battery cable with 60 amp fuse and 14 gauge speaker wire, both OFC. Kolossus Complete 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit - Merchandise

But I don’t mind paying an extra $30 for the upgraded kit if it will actually make a difference in my setup. 4 gauge battery cable with 120 amp fuse. Speaker wire is 12 gauge. Kolossus Fleks 4 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit - Merchandise

I’ll need to order a longer ground battery cable for either since the kit only comes with 3’ and that won’t be enough to make it from amp to battery.

All input is appreciated

Thanks!
Unless you're dead set on a true plug and play kit you can go to your local electronics store that sells and installs car audio to buy an amp install kit. A brand called "Monster Cable" is good stuff and has everything you'll need and can be bought just about anywhere mobile audio is sold. You will be much better off using a good quality RCA cable. I dont think you'll have a problem with the kits you linked either as long as you have enough wire for the job

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah that brand makes OFC cable as well. 4AWG is overkill unless you are running 3 or less amps! I have one 2 x 4AWG (1 Ground & 1 Power Fused @200AMP ANL) coming up to my fairing to a “fused distribution box w/separate fuses for my amps).

Whatever you do make sure you fuse @battery, and my suggestion is to use a ANL waterproof fuse.

Example:
This is what I used, you can choose your own:

T-Spec V8-AGU 4/8 AWG Fuse Holder

I have a lot of money invested into my bike so I went with this because of the nice seal between the wires.

Also to keep your build nice and neat and away from heat or any type of abrasion, I used Tessa Tape. You can order it on Amazon, check the reviews if you choose a brand different from Tessa, as some don’t hold up. Get your self 2-3 rolls if you want a clean install. Wrap your power wires and other wires in it.

Like I said I went a little overboard but, my systems look sweet.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
You don't need to take the the ground all the way to the battery, ANY frame ground will work. Best to run the positive wire to the battery though. Just before the battery there should be a frame ground stud you should use and it is best to go to the frame for the ground instead of the battery anyways. 3 feet should reach the battery if to pull the fuel tank and run the wire down the wire tray under the tank.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You don't need to take the the ground all the way to the battery, ANY frame ground will work. Best to run the positive wire to the battery though. Just before the battery there should be a frame ground stud you should use and it is best to go to the frame for the ground instead of the battery anyways. 3 feet should reach the battery if to pull the fuel tank and run the wire down the wire tray under the tank.
While this can be true, but on bikes grounding to frames are bad practice. Vibration through the frame can be a killer. Most reprievable motorcycle audio installers run to the battery not the frame for grounds.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
While this can be true, but on bikes grounding to frames are bad practice. Vibration through the frame can be a killer.
I've never had any problems with a frame ground, just as long as you make sure the connection is clean and the nut is tightened up properly. I've always grounded my amp and heated riding gear to the frame.
It's just like using jumper cables on any vehicle you should always ground to a frame ground instead of the battery ground. JMO

1 - 20 of 35 Posts