Road Glide banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
While this can be true, but on bikes grounding to frames are bad practice. Vibration through the frame can be a killer. Most reprievable motorcycle audio installers run to the battery not the frame for grounds.
Audio stuff, always to the battery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Only thing I purchased through them was the HU. Everything else was bought separately. But I’ll be they’ll still be happy to help. I’ve heard nothing but good things.

·
Registered
8,404 Posts
Only thing I purchased through them was the HU. Everything else was bought separately. But I’ll be they’ll still be happy to help. I’ve heard nothing but good things.
I’m sure they would definitely help you.
They get great reviews from customers.
Best of Luck and keep us posted.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Finished it all up today. All in all it was fairly easy. For those that may find this post and are doing a self install...

I heated up the pods to fit the MMATS. Took maybe 10 minutes each side. Heated from the outside, used my hand (in gloves) to work the plastic. MMATS popped right in (upside down).

I used velcro to mount the amp. Mounted it on top of the headlight. Fit perfect.

I used the factory speaker wire and connectors instead of running new speaker wires. I just spliced the factory wires into the amp wire connector. Easy.

Amp setup: I set the amp to Full, as opposed to High Pass or Low Pass. I used a 1kh sine wave to set the gain (watch the videos and use the resources on JLaudio.com). I put the head unit at 37/50 volume and then hooked up a multimeter and turned the gain on the amp until I hit 30 volts. Full disclosure, I wasn’t sure where exactly to set it, but reading a bunch of posts I determined it should be between 25 and 34. So I picked 30. And, I really have no idea what I’m doing here. But it sounds great.

Turned everything on, put the new Machine Gun Kelly album on, and this thing rocks. Crazy loud. Crazy clear. Took it for a spin around the block in downtown Milwaukee in 30 degrees. It was awesome. Great setup.

Glad I did it myself. Glad I didn’t buy a Rockford plug and play, mainly because I think this setup is better for half the cost.

Now just need to wait for spring...

·
Registered
367 Posts
30v is 225w which is the top end of what those speakers will take. Do NOT run your volume past 37, ever. No matter how kick ass the song is, don’t go past 37. Congrats on getting your install done with ease.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
30v is 225w which is the top end of what those speakers will take. Do NOT run your volume past 37, ever. No matter how kick ass the song is, don’t go past 37. Congrats on getting your install done with ease.
Thanks. Do you recommend setting the amp gain at a lower level:lower voltage?

·
Registered
367 Posts
28.2 Volta is 200w and I believe that’s a more appropriate power level. I know it’s a pain to go properly reset gains, trust me. The other piece of the puzzle is where you have the HP frequency set. If you’re set at 100-120hz, you’re probably safe. If you’re down in the 80s, you absolutely need to back the gain down and move that crossover up. Those speakers aren’t designed to play 80Hz - regardless of what anyone else says.

If I were building this for a buddy, I’d tune the amp to 26-27v which is 175-180 area, I’d set the HP crossover at or above 100 and send him down the road, never to touch it again. And make sure that he never turns it past the volume we set the amp at. In this case 37.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
28.2 Volta is 200w and I believe that’s a more appropriate power level. I know it’s a pain to go properly reset gains, trust me. The other piece of the puzzle is where you have the HP frequency set. If you’re set at 100-120hz, you’re probably safe. If you’re down in the 80s, you absolutely need to back the gain down and move that crossover up. Those speakers aren’t designed to play 80Hz - regardless of what anyone else says.

If I were building this for a buddy, I’d tune the amp to 26-27v which is 175-180 area, I’d set the HP crossover at or above 100 and send him down the road, never to touch it again. And make sure that he never turns it past the volume we set the amp at. In this case 37.
I have the amp set at Full Pass, which I understood to mean I don’t need to mess with the frequency. If I need to adjust to high pass, then I’ll need help understanding how to set the frequency. Is that also done with a multimeter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
You definitely want to set it on HP. You do not use a multi meter. Not sure how that amp is set up for adjusting the frequency but as said before, it needs to be at least 100Hz.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Not a big deal. There’s a switch that says HP - FULL- LP

Switch it to HP = high pass. In other words, the frequencies that you will allow the speaker to see above and beyond. Or in easier terms “everything HIGHER than this point shall pass”

There will be a dial on your amp next to that switch labeled FREQ and I believe it’s 40hz to 400hz. Midpoint would be 220 or so.

Midpoint between 220 and 40 is 130. There’s your start point on where it should be.

·
Registered
367 Posts
To be more clear, by running your amp FULLpass, you are allowing the full spectrum of sound to travel to the speakers. 20hz to 20Khz. Your speakers cannot and will not produce sound effectively or mechanically below 100hz. The result of sending as much power as you’re sending and playing 20-100hz will be blown speakers very quickly.

The answer is to drop the power to 180W and set the HP crossover to 100-120hz and be done. To give you some reference on setting crossovers and more importantly proper expectations a of your speakers, I currently run Beyma Power 10iX 10s in my bags with 1650w each. They are made solely to produce low end sound. I have them crossed at 40hz on the bottom and 300Hz on the top. I bring this up only to show you that I have a speaker made to play low and I still have it crossed up at 40. In order to get a speaker to play sub 40s you’re talking about an actual subwoofer. Down in this range there is a ton of cone movement that a 6.5” speaker isn’t mechanically built to reproduce.

Allowing your speaker to play in the wheelhouse in which it’s built to play will give you longevity along with clean and happy speakers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks for all of the feedback on amp settings. I just read in another thread someone suggesting to keep the amp at Full Pass and then using the settings on the song HU to set the frequency to 100 hz.

group thoughts on this method?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts