Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all I bought the cheaper $20 adapter rings (You get watch ya pay for) which did not come with directions or any hardware. I had the seller send me some 1/2 ass directions but I figured it out. I remove the stock speakers and grills. On the back of the stock grills there are 3 lugs that are used to mount them with. I had to cut them off (A hacksaw workes good) to get a flat mounting service for the new adapter rings.

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
i hate those adaptor rings the biggest POS ever! i had to jimmy rigg my speakers but 6.5 is so much better then stock. i just did the lowers today and im using the same amp.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I beveled the holes left in the stock grills where I cut off the lugs,so I could counter sink the mounting new screws. Then I mounted the new adapter rings. If I had followed the directions the new speakers would have only been mounted with TWO screws. Fortunately the Focal speakers have several mouting holes in the outer ring. I drilled 3 more holes so that all 5 holes were in a star patteren(They are not moving).

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I really like to fabricate I opted to make my own mounting bracket for the amp. I bought some metal strapping from Home Depot for $6.49,I cut two 7" pieces for the top and bottom straps,then I mounted them to the same nuts and bolts where the inner fairing is mounted. I shaped them to follow the curve of the inner fairing then added a 6" piece on the end from the top to the bottom. I bolted all of this together using 3/8" bolts & nuts with red Locktite. After making sure the amp was a perfect fit I marked 4 holes,drilled and used some 10-24 machine screws with nylock nuts to mount the amp to the bracket I made.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
After getting the amp completely mounted and making sure it is stable and not going to vibrate,I took some 2" wide,thick foam weather stripping and ran it along the back side of the top and bottom amp brackets,just for good measure against the bracket making contact with the inner fairing.
I cut the ends off of the stock speaker wires,stripped back the insulation 1/2" and added some length to the right side wires. Soldered all the connections and used heat shrink and plugged the front speaker wires into the input. I then cut off the RCA Connections off of the other matching wire plug and did the same thing.
WOW!!!! THIS THING ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This will be my next project. It was my sons bike,when he got to big for it he put is in the garage at his moms house. His step-dad moved it outside next to the house in the weather for about 3yrs. When I saw it setting there I didn't even ask,I just picked it up and put it in the back of my truck and brought it home. It needs some TLC and some chrome restoration. But my son wants to pass it down someday when he has a son,so we'll do it together. It has a real speedo on it and it reads 175mi. Vroom Vroom LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks h-donut,I really wished I had round holes in my fairing,the grills look awesome as well. If I ever get the chance to change out the stock grills to something else that will work with my current speakers I won't hesitate .

·
Registered
569 Posts
Really nice install i think that i where i am leaning as well i assume you got all of the parts off of amazon or e-bay. Way cheaper than having someone else do it. The focal speakers look really nice.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really nice install i think that i where i am leaning as well i assume you got all of the parts off of amazon or e-bay. Way cheaper than having someone else do it. The focal speakers look really nice.
I bought the amp for $133.00 off of ebay,and for an extra $20.00 I got a 3yr warranty and I got the speakers off of Amazon for $97.00 and the adapter rings for $20.00 and that is including shipping. Plus $10 for the metal to make the amp mount and other odds and ends to install the wiring,and I get to KEEP the leftover "SHOP MATERIALS" for a total of $280.which is about $30 more than what I had planned on spending. I left the rear speakers alons for now,but when I can find some decent replacments I will mount them as well. But for now,I could not be happier. I have the gain turned up to almost 6 and man she really rocks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bought the amp for $133.00 off of ebay,and for an extra $20.00 I got a 3yr warranty and I got the speakers off of Amazon for $97.00 and the adapter rings for $20.00 and that is including shipping. Plus $10 for the metal to make the amp mount and other odds and ends to install the wiring,and I get to KEEP the leftover "SHOP MATERIALS" for a total of $280.which is about $30 more than what I had planned on spending. I left the rear speakers alons for now,but when I can find some decent replacments I will mount them as well. But for now,I could not be happier. I have the gain turned up to almost 6 and man she really rocks.
Thank you i really appreciate the detailed job you did showing it. i really think this is how i am going.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Iv'e been working on my own bikes,cars,and trucks since I started driving. I was a Heavy Junk Mech in the Corps,plus I learned to read schematics about 15yrs ago,but I have never learned anything about the installations of audio systems. But with the help of guys on here and the tech manuals for both the amp and my bike,it was really easy. Another thing about me,is I am VERY OBSESIVE,so I just took my time,and tripple checked all of my connections and everything worked out great. I really can't wait to put my outer fairing back on and get the true sound of the speakers. I'm going to find some kind of thin foam backing to install on the inside of my outer fairing to try and help out the bass sound as much as I can.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the clearence behind the amp and even thought it looks ok,I am still going to put a few strips of wide thick foam weather stripping behind the horizonal mounting brackets and I marked the area where I need to notch out the bottom bracket so I can still adjust the headlights,I just haven't done it yet. I'm still doing my winter mods. Changing out the gauges,and going to cut the cat out of my head pipes. I already have Rush Slip-ons so I am seriously considering taking out the pipe that crosses under to the left muffler,then capping the open part so as to make a 2-1 exhaust. There isn't really much exhaust coming out of the left muffler anyway. We'll see.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I first started this project I didn't know anything except what I read. the Adapter rings did not come with directions,the amp manual did not answer some of the questions I had,so I started a thread here and on the H-D Forums.where I have beem a member of since 2007. Here everyone was very patient with me,and on the other forum most others were as well. But one gy chimed in on my other thread over there and started giving me crap. Stuff like did even bother to download the manual and read it. There's ONLY so much we can do for you on via the internet,your gonna have to put forth SOME SERIOUS EFFORT ON YOUR PART. Just really condecending and arrogantto me,and all I was trying to do was double check everything so I did not accidentally screw up something for good and cost me money. Silly me,I acctually thought that these forums were for that. Then I find out his MAJOR bike is a Buell and a few other crotch rockets. Now I get why he was so arrogant. I'll just stau here on the Dark Side where I belong.LOL Just venting on the end of the thread about my audio. I'm pretty proud,it sounds awsome,I did it and saved abour $400 installation fee,and I think when I mentioned that is when the other guys got real PISSY. Must be an audio installer or something.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well guys,the brackets I made to hold my amp just wouldn't get it back out of the way far enough to let me get my headlights back in.so I bought one of the mounts from H-Donut on here. Top quality,rigid,and fit perfect.(HIGHLY RECOMMEND)
Since I am also still running my stock speakers in the rear(off of the radio) I have my fade set about 60/40 Front/Rear,so I set my gain at almost 6 and re-installed my outer fairing. While doing these mods,I also cut the CAT out of my exhaust and installed Rush Slip-Ons,so it is definately louder. I hooked up my IPOD cranked her up and headed down the street. After getting the Treble & Bass set proprely,I turned off the AVC and hit the Highway. I have never heard Led Zepplin sound that CRISP AND CLEAR at 80mph down the windy highway.
I only opted for the Focal Speakers on a friends suggestion,he had them in his car once and said they were really nice speakers,and I am really glad I did. My audio sounds AWESOME right now. I would recommend both Focal Speakers and the PBR 300x4 Amp,they go very well together.
Now if anyone can recommend some 5 1/4"s to replace my stocks in the rear I am all ears. I just want to be able to hook the rears up to the Amp for a little bit more sound. No one rides back there so they are really for me.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Great writeup jukebox. I'm looking for speakers too, focals look good but are they weather proof/ resistant?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Check out the Polk Audio DB651s speakers, that's what I went with on mine. They actually fit real well and sound great, I did use some rivnuts to mount them with stainless machine screws.

Attachments

U

·
0 Posts
The Polk speakers look great. They are some of the best. Been in business since 72. Are stock on Sea Ray boats.

Sent from my LGL45C using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 34 Posts