Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a small amp to give the sound a boost over the exhaust. Not a lot of money so I went for a cheap unique cycle 300w unit. I ran a direct line to the positive with 16 ga. solid copper. The ground is their wire to the frame. Started it up and constant interference. So I thought maybe the power was too small a gauge so I ran a pc of 12ga solid copper, but still the same noise. Did the same for the ground. No luck. Anything else I should be looking at?

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
What does the interference sound like, is it only present with the bike on and engine running, does it change with the engine rpm?

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
it's spark plug interference. It goes up and down with the throttle. You can hear the motor in a low buzzing. I have it grounded to one of the inner fairing mounting bolts, just below the hooks to hang the fairing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about running a ground back, but didn't know if totally isolating it was a good idea.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
will give it a shot. I was so aggravated I said screw it and disconnected the ground and power, put the fairing back on so I could ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your isues is a ground loop. Following Rig Magician's advise will solve the issues. Also, I'd replace the 16 gauge solid "hot" wire with a 10 gau stranded. If the amp is truly pulling 300w you may have issues with the wire overheating and a potential fire hazard.

Good luck and good riding.

Bobby

1 - 10 of 10 Posts