Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my new bars over the weekend. Since then the heated grips don't work.

As near as I can tell the heated grips get their power from the two wire connector (female) with a purple and black wire.

Now here is where some of my confusion started. There is a two wire connector (male) with a red and black wire and also a two wire connector (male) with a white and black wire. Also one other two wire connector (female) white and black.

So my assumption was the black and white male and female connectors go together. The male red and black goes to the female purple and black. Can someone confirm if this is correct?

With that configuration I had no power. Double checked connections and found one of the wires in a black and white connector was broken. So I cut off the connectors on the male and female and spliced the wires together. Still no heated grips.

Using my power tester I confirmed with switch on there is power on the purple wire. When it is plugged into the red and black connector I then have power to the black wire no matter the position of the power adjustor on the left heated grip. Is this normal to see power on the black wire no matter the position of the switch?

I unspliced the wires and checked all the black and white wires and found power on the black wire coming from what I believe is the left handlebar. Again this is when I have the power switch to the bike on.

Any suggestions or comments? Does anyone have access to actual wiring diagram to confirm how things are to be wired up?

Bill

·
Registered
169 Posts
did you look inside the right grip handle and reconnect the small 2 prong connector?and yes the black and white wires go together,they hook left grip to right grip.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bike is a 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO. The heated grips were on the bike as stock equipment.

When you say inside the hand grip where exactly are you talking about? Inside the actual grip or inside the bars where the throttle control went?

If the storms are done by the time I get home tonight I will be double checking all the wiring to see if maybe there is another broken or loose wire.

Bill

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
its in the grip itself, end of the grip pops off.look down inside you'll see 2 wires hooked to a small plug.very thin pins on the end be careful.I bet there already bent just carefully bend then back up,take a pair of needle nose and plug them back into the throttle sensor.the cap when put back on will hold it in.mine didn't look like the one in the picture of previous post but same location.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all. Found the connector you were referring to at the end of right grip today. Put it back in place and spliced together the wires that I initially broke and now all is good.

Bill

·
Registered
927 Posts
Thank you all. Found the connector you were referring to at the end of right grip today. Put it back in place and spliced together the wires that I initially broke and now all is good.

Bill
I always appreciate a follow-up, especially when there's a solution to the problem. Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts