Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I finally was able to get my bars installed onto my RGS. The dealer quoted 6+ hours of labor so I decided to tackle it myself. Please keep in mind my mechanical experience goes as far as bolting my own pipes on, changing the A/c and installing a tuner...so it is limited.

The whole process took about 3.5 hours, hardest part being the re wiring of the bars. The 14in bars do NOT require any wire extentions. With that being said it is still a tight fit, and the cables are a pain in the @ss to get through because of the sharp 90 degree angles.

Also to get the clutch side grip off, most say you have to cut it off, however I soaked it in boiling hot water for 45 minutes and it slid right off. Just an FYI.

I'm here to hopefully answer any questions folks might have about the install and the bars. I live in MA so yesterday it was 28 degrees out, and I took it my bike for the first ride of the season - fired right up after being on a battery tender all winter. I finally was able to get some throttle therapy - enjoy the photos!

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All done! Love the look and feel. Just FYI I am 6'1 and they fit perfect. I originally had ordered 12in but factory47's customer service recommended the 14s for someone my height, and they were 100% right!

They also provided me with a military discount

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
I'm here to hopefully answer any questions folks might have about the install and the bars.
Those bars look great man, and good job.

I've been looking at these bars for a long time, and not a matter of if I get them, but when. Good job, and impressed you installed them 3 hours sooner than the dealer quoted. Which begs the question, whose method did you follow, and was there any one idea (good or bad) during the install that you would like to share?

Also, some forum members who install the 14" bars discard the tray behind the dash that the wires plug into so that the wires will easily reach. Did you keep the tray or get rid of it too?

Lastly, what military discount?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nice job on the bar install. Other than taking your time to pull just hard enough to negotiate the corners, it is not a terrifically difficult job. I have a few friends that are newer to Harley's and every time they want to put parts on, they talk about the dealership install fees. I have managed to successfully encourage them to install their own parts. To me it is just part of the fun of MC ownership. Get to know your bike. Most things aren't too difficult. I may not encourage a guy to tear his motor apart, but bars, lights, seats, windshields, and certainly oil changes could be done at a tremendous savings.

The bars look great. I am very pleased with my Factory 47 bars. One of my favorite changes to the bike.

-c

·
Registered
100 Posts

I've been looking at these bars for a long time, and not a matter of if I get them, but when. Good job, and impressed you installed them 3 hours sooner than the dealer quoted. Which begs the question, who's method did you follow, and was there any one idea (good or bad) during the install that you would like to share?

Also, some forum members who install the 14" bars discard the tray behind the dash that the wires plug into so that the wires will easily reach. Did you keep the tray or get rid of it too?

The only thing that I can think of on military discounts is showing a ID if ya got one. The next best thing would be a dd214, but I'd imagine most businesses you would have to ask about discount. I never think to ask and not having a ID on top of looking like scum equals no discount;)

·
Registered
262 Posts
What size windshield do you have? Do you have any pictures from the front with wheel straight?

I'm having a hard time deciding on 12 or 14 I'm 6'3" but my seat is cut down an inch and back 1.5 inches. Full turn with stock bars is rough if I'm sitting back. I can barely keep my hands on the grips

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I've been looking at these bars for a long time, and not a matter of if I get them, but when. Good job, and impressed you installed them 3 hours sooner than the dealer quoted. Which begs the question, who's method did you follow, and was there any one idea (good or bad) during the install that you would like to share?

I did remove the tray so that the wires had more room to fit. I believe they also discard it in the video Factory47 puts out. I followed their video as closely as possible, I'm sure you have seen it on their website/ youtube. I do have one piece of advice, tape the chain or in my case shoe lace very well because snaking around the corners it tough. Take your time and don't get frustrated. Also as I said earlier use hot water to remove the left side grip - unless you plan on buying aftermarket ones!

Yes they do have a 10% military discount, someone mentioned it to me on Instagram so I just asked them via email - All you need to do it send them a photo of your Military ID.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What size windshield do you have? Do you have any pictures from the front with wheel straight?

I'm having a hard time deciding on 12 or 14 I'm 6'3" but my seat is cut down an inch and back 1.5 inches. Full turn with stock bars is rough if I'm sitting back. I can barely keep my hands on the grips
That windshield is an 11in Freedom Shield - it is fantastic. My seat is also back 1.5 inches, as it is the Mustang touring seat. If your 6'3 I would certainly recommend the 14s. I admit when I ordered 12s I was concerned so I called them and their customer service strongly recommended the 14s, so I had them change my order. If you can wait I can send you multiple photos this weekend when I'm home - I'm away for work. Just shoot me an email at [email protected] to remind me and I'll email you a bunch.

If I had bought the 12s they definitely would've been to short.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That windshield is an 11in Freedom Shield - it is fantastic. My seat is also back 1.5 inches, as it is the Mustang touring seat. If your 6'3 I would certainly recommend the 14s. I admit when I ordered 12s I was concerned so I called them and their customer service strongly recommended the 14s, so I had them change my order. If you can wait I can send you multiple photos this weekend when I'm home - I'm away for work. Just shoot me an email at [email protected] to remind me and I'll email you a bunch.

If I had bought the 12s they definitely would've been to short.

I'll shoot you an email right now I can wait

·
Site Sponsor
14 Posts
Awesome Job

Hi guys,

I finally was able to get my bars installed onto my RGS. The dealer quoted 6+ hours of labor so I decided to tackle it myself. Please keep in mind my mechanical experience goes as far as bolting my own pipes on, changing the A/c and installing a tuner...so it is limited.

The whole process took about 3.5 hours, hardest part being the re wiring of the bars. The 14in bars do NOT require any wire extentions. With that being said it is still a tight fit, and the cables are a pain in the @ss to get through because of the sharp 90 degree angles.

Also to get the clutch side grip off, most say you have to cut it off, however I soaked it in boiling hot water for 45 minutes and it slid right off. Just an FYI.

I'm here to hopefully answer any questions folks might have about the install and the bars. I live in MA so yesterday it was 28 degrees out, and I took it my bike for the first ride of the season - fired right up after being on a battery tender all winter. I finally was able to get some throttle therapy - enjoy the photos!
That is awesome to hear. Glad you are happy with the 14". I filmed and made that video but I did not do the install it was a experienced mechanic. But I tried my best to put in as many details to help. Glad it all worked out. Bike looks clean.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts