Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put the 13” Fox IFP-R shocks on my ‘19 RGS. I’m still messing with the rebound adjustment but am pleased with my purchase. Bike feels 100% better than stock. Very comparable to the ride of the Ohlins I had on my ‘11 RGU. I’m going to end up doing the Fox cartridges in the front too, I had the progressive upgrade on the front of the ‘11.

We spend a lot of money on bike accessories. I think addressing the stock suspension shortfalls are the priority for me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I was really wanting the Fox shocks for my bike, but they were hard to come by up here. I didn't know they made cartridges for the front - I may consider those for mine over the winter; I'm still not feeling the love with these Progressive HD springs.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I don't know why Harley didn't put Fox shocks on all models. They used them on the FXR's at the end of the run.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2up riding

I put about 150 miles on by myself, the shocks make the bike settle in on the road in long sweeper curves. No more does the bike hop around in curves. Theses shocks have more of a sporty feel to them than my Ohlins did on the other bike. Fox are well made, easy to set up and easy to make adjustments. I really like these and am going to do the front forks for sure.

I put the tour pak on and my wife went with me on a long ride this morning. Varying roads; interstate and city driving but mostly 65-70 mph on state routes. Performed better than I expected with both of us on the bike. Very smooth ride overall but especially at higher speeds...must have something to do with the rebound settings. I’m still working on what works best with that setting.

Still have to take the bags off to adjust the preload from solo for 2up. I set up 1.5 turns less than the #3 index on the shock riding solo and went to 1 full turn less than the #5 index for 2up w/tour pak.

Can’t go wrong upgrading from the stock shocks to any of the aftermarket equipment available. Changing out the stock suspension is a great mod. Hope this helps anyone looking at upgrading to the Fox.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the review. I have been trying to figure out which shocks to go with. So many good options that its hard to pin one down.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Fox Rox

Just put a set of Fox IFP-R 13" on, Major improvement over the sucky stock shocks on my 19 RGU, Holy cow these things are nice. The bumps that jarred my spine I can roll right over now although I still lift myself up knowing they ( the Hits ) are coming for now until I get used to not getting my spine realigned on them. On My 15 roadglide I went with the Legends air suspension that everybody raved about, wasted $1800 on that. The bike rode like shit ! Suspension is IMO the most important upgrade to a bike way before even considering motor or flashy bling, You will out ride your buddys and enjoy the ride more than you imagined !! This goes for all bikes dirt and street ! Fox Rox, well worth it !

·
Registered
269 Posts
I put the 13” Fox IFP-R shocks on my ‘19 RGS. I’m still messing with the rebound adjustment but am pleased with my purchase. Bike feels 100% better than stock. Very comparable to the ride of the Ohlins I had on my ‘11 RGU. I’m going to end up doing the Fox cartridges in the front too, I had the progressive upgrade on the front of the ‘11.

We spend a lot of money on bike accessories. I think addressing the stock suspension shortfalls are the priority for me.
Are those longer than the stock shocks ? How does it effect ride height ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where are you guys buying them? The Fox website sends you to revzilla where the 13” standard and the cartridge kit show out of stock.

If someone does the cartridge kit I’d be very interested in a review.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fox Shox

Are those longer than the stock shocks ? How does it effect ride height ?
Yes, the RGU comes with 13” shocks the standard and RGS are 12” shock height. The 12’s provide a “slammed” custom look.

The ride height after I got the pre-load set is about 1/2” difference from stock on my bike. Negligible difference, you really have to know what you are looking at to see any difference. I watched a review by Matt Laidlaw, he and others recommend going with the 13”. 12” might make sense if you are under 68” tall.

Ordered mine from Revzilla. Revzilla is one of the best suppliers you can buy from, if you have questions they will always connect you to an expert, have a great return policy and a rewards program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just installed the 13" ifp-r standards. I'm 5-11 230. Road glide special with a tour pack. 80-90% of my riding is solo.

Just throwing it out there that it was a night and day difference compared to stock. Can't compare to the other brands as I have no first hand experience with them. Need to complete the set up and get some miles on them for a full report

Btw there's a place in Texas that's running a pretty good deal on them right now. Not sure of the rules about naming sites but Google will lead you to them. Between my prior experience with Fox and the price point I couldn't pass it up.

Has anyone tried to lower the bike about an inch with the longer stroke shock? I really think it looks awesome dropped and don't care about parts dragging...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just installed the 13" IFP-R HD’s on my bike....love them...and so does my back.
Stock shocks were a joke...and a bad one at that!

I plan to do the Fox front end cartridge this winter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Good seeing this info on Fox Shox as I'm on the bubble about buying a pair of 12" for my 07 R/Glide, but really confused about the springs, STD ot HD. Most of my riding is 80% Solo & 20% 2-UP. The variation on spring rates come in because when riding solo there's no Tour Pak on the bike nor the wife, 2-UP has the Detachable Tour Pak,the wife and clothing assortment (LOL). So where does one make the right choice on the 2 springs available (STD & HD) due to the "BIG" weight change between the two riding modes. I'm @ 180 LBS and wife is 115 LBS, the Detachable Tour Pak, guessing about 35 LBS empty (+ 10 LB Loaded). So between solo & 2-up I'm having to address 160 LB weight change which is somewhat extreme.

Any input welcome on these FOX SHOX's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good seeing this info on Fox Shox as I'm on the bubble about buying a pair of 12" for my 07 R/Glide, but really confused about the springs, STD ot HD. Most of my riding is 80% Solo & 20% 2-UP. The variation on spring rates come in because when riding solo there's no Tour Pak on the bike nor the wife, 2-UP has the Detachable Tour Pak,the wife and clothing assortment (LOL). So where does one make the right choice on the 2 springs available (STD & HD) due to the "BIG" weight change between the two riding modes. I'm @ 180 LBS and wife is 115 LBS, the Detachable Tour Pak, guessing about 35 LBS empty (+ 10 LB Loaded). So between solo & 2-up I'm having to address 160 LB weight change which is somewhat extreme.

Any input welcome on these FOX SHOX's.
I've got a set on order right now for my 04. Talked to Fox and am told to go with the standard for our weight. I'm 170 and my gal is about 130. I don't have a tourpack but overall we are right around the same. The HD spring kit starts off at a weight range of 240 lbs on the lowest setting. He said unless you are riding 2 up all the time go with the standard spring. I got pretty much the same answer from legend when I talked to them as well. Sounds like we ride about the same amount of time in the 2 up. I've got a set of 13" standard IFP-R's on order right now. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've got a set on order right now for my 04. Talked to Fox and am told to go with the standard for our weight. I'm 170 and my gal is about 130. I don't have a tourpack but overall we are right around the same. The HD spring kit starts off at a weight range of 240 lbs on the lowest setting. He said unless you are riding 2 up all the time go with the standard spring. I got pretty much the same answer from legend when I talked to them as well. Sounds like we ride about the same amount of time in the 2 up. I've got a set of 13" standard IFP-R's on order right now. Hope that helps.
Yep, we're about the same. Noah at Fox said the same thing for me, "STD DUTY SPRINGS". Got a pair of 12 on order as well. Thanks for sharing your experience thus far on my posting.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awesome! I went with the 13's on mine. I was torn because I'm short and have 12's now but they don't really have any sag with those dam air shocks. 13's get an inch of sag and I'm needing to get some more ground clearance so I can stop scraping stuff. I figure worst case is I toss on a lowering link and still get the travel out of the 13's, but I don't see me needing to do that. Now on the hunt for what front I want to put in there...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Awesome! I went with the 13's on mine. I was torn because I'm short and have 12's now but they don't really have any sag with those dam air shocks. 13's get an inch of sag and I'm needing to get some more ground clearance so I can stop scraping stuff. I figure worst case is I toss on a lowering link and still get the travel out of the 13's, but I don't see me needing to do that. Now on the hunt for what front I want to put in there...
You got me thinking about the sag issue and I'm glad you mentioned it. I totally forgot about the 1"sag when I ordered the 12"shocks, I quickly cancelled those and went with the 13" as well, they were both priced the same @ $509 a pair (not the -R Shocks). I appreciate you bring that up cause it saved me a ton of aggravation not to mention a lot of choice words had the 12" arrived and I'd end up too low.:wink::smile:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Update: OMG, its the best upgrade I've ever done. Totally love the new ride feel, no regrets on buying the Fox Shocks.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts