Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I installed American Suspensions full Ramair system. The main reason that I went with this kit over others is that everything is pneumatic valving instead of electronic solenoids like other companies. If I hadn’t added the dual air pressure gauge from another company, the only electrical connections needed for this kit are power and ground for the compressor. Very thorough kit and very easy to install. Fast up tank and compressor are hidden behind the bags and bolt through existing holes. All brackets are aluminum and super stout. Here are pics from install.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,263 Posts
Looks good. Do you have a link to the system you used?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Reactions: rlaf75

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Looks killer as I've said already. Now go ride the Back of the dragon.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Bike looks good. That's one helluva lunch box on the back. Quick detach I'm guessing?

Hoping you make it to SW X in Gettysburg next year.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks killer as I've said already. Now go ride the Back of the dragon.
Yes! Want to go do that ride soon! Work has been really kicking my butt lately.

Bike looks good. That's one helluva lunch box on the back. Quick detach I'm guessing?

Hoping you make it to SW X in Gettysburg next year.
Yes it’s bolted to a quick detach rack. When is the meet in Gettysburg?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes it’s bolted to a quick detach rack. When is the meet in Gettysburg?[/QUOTE]

What kind of box is it? I'd be interested in doing something like that for camping.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What kind of box is it? I'd be interested in doing something like that for camping.
It's a Pelican case and then I put a top rail around it for strapping small stuff to. I don't remember the model of Pelican but it's 19.5" wide, 14" deep and 8" tall if that helps.

·
Registered
327 Posts
It's a Pelican case and then I put a top rail around it for strapping small stuff to. I don't remember the model of Pelican but it's 19.5" wide, 14" deep and 8" tall if that helps.
Thanks. I'll check them out.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Yes it’s bolted to a quick detach rack. When is the meet in Gettysburg?
2nd full week of July next year. I believe the official dates are the 14th,15, and 16th but a lot of people will be there from Sunday to Sat. Pretty sure it's the week after Gettysburg bike week next year.

Look up the thread on here under the National Road Glide gathering.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
@crazy4ink I had same setup and sold it when I decided to go a different direction with bike. I’ve got a MRI center stand for sale if your interested. That way you can drop her without the wood. ? 3827C01D-5744-42BA-B611-449F9D7B46CB_1571611195267.png 17AA613E-88C3-4482-8361-FEADB3EFA094_1571611177103.jpg

·
Registered
475 Posts
@crazy4ink I had same setup and sold it when I decided to go a different direction with bike. I’ve got a MRI center stand for sale if your interested. That way you can drop her without the wood. ? View attachment 390179 View attachment 390177
What was the other direction and why? I’m considering putting air ride on mine, but who knows who to believe and every company says theirs is the best - LOL
@crazy4ink, please post with updates on how you like American Suspension setup as they are one I’ve looked at for sure. My biggest point of apprehension with the American Suspension is the command module complexity.

Both are very nice rides though.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@crazy4ink, please post with updates on how you like American Suspension setup as they are one I’ve looked at for sure. My biggest point of apprehension with the American Suspension is the command module complexity.

Both are very nice rides though.

I went with American Suspension just because of the lack of solenoids and electric components. I’ve heard of and seen the solenoids fail, especially when a bike has a fast up tank, and the bike raises itself when on a center stand. With the AS kit, the air passages are mechanically closed off so that can’t happen. Also, with my bike aired completely out, nothing rubs and my bike still rolls. That means I’m not stuck on the side of the road if an air line breaks. Yes the ride will be harsh and suck, but I’m not stranded.

First, I had lowered my bike 2” in the front and had 10.5” shocks in the back. Looked great but the ride was very firm, almost to the point of uncomfortable. Raised the front 1” and raised the back 1”. Ride was better but still not ideal. Decided on full air ride so that I could have the best of both worlds; laid out when parked and better ride when aired up. I like that I can adjust the air pressures as needed.

Reactions: Bevis and Zedbra

·
Registered
270 Posts
About a month ago I installed American Suspensions full Ramair system. The main reason that I went with this kit over others is that everything is pneumatic valving instead of electronic solenoids like other companies. If I hadn’t added the dual air pressure gauge from another company, the only electrical connections needed for this kit are power and ground for the compressor. Very thorough kit and very easy to install. Fast up tank and compressor are hidden behind the bags and bolt through existing holes. All brackets are aluminum and super stout. Here are pics from install.
Do you operate it by pressing those “trumpet” valves?

·
Registered
75 Posts
@BlueJob I’m now on Öhlins rears and custom done cartridges in front forks, 2.5” lift up front and 14” in rear. The air looked great when slammed to the ground but my ride style seemed too aggressive for it. I couldn’t fine a sweet spot, either it was comfy but cornered poorly and wobbled or it would be harsh and stiff and not absorb the bumps. Too unpredictable for my liking and I needed more ground clearance for leans. I’m fresh out of the sportbike life and this is my first Harley. I drag floorboards, scrape mounts, and bags on my special with extended bags. Since switching to a more “performance bagger style” my life has become a lot nicer. Lol

Don’t let that discourage anyone from air though; especially a American suspension setup! It’s great if it suits your needs. Their control module is the best imo. No way for it to leak or fill without you pushing the plunger valve. I personally know two guys that went with another name brand setup, I won’t say which so I’m not throwing shade, and both have had issues with the electric solenoids. One guy was not as lucky as the other because he lost air while on the regular kickstand and came out to find the bike laid on the ground. Also American suspension makes their rear shocks as opposed to other brands that use Monroe or other car brand “air bag” style shocks that they rework a bit. Google picks of a few setups and you’ll see what I mean.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you operate it by pressing those “trumpet” valves?
Yes and No.
The top button is the fill valve, it only operates by pushing it in.
The second button is the rear fill and you pull it out to allow air in or out of the rear shocks. When you have it where you want it, or dumped completely, you push it back in.
The third button is the front and works the same as the rear
The bottom button is the dump valve and it only pushes in. If both the front and rear buttons are in, nothing will happen. If both the front and rear are out, it will dump all air.

Adjustability is easy; pull whichever valve you want to adjust and either tap the fill button or the dump button.

·
Registered
475 Posts
@BlueJob I’m now on Öhlins rears and custom done cartridges in front forks, 2.5” lift up front and 14” in rear. The air looked great when slammed to the ground but my ride style seemed too aggressive for it. I couldn’t fine a sweet spot, either it was comfy but cornered poorly and wobbled or it would be harsh and stiff and not absorb the bumps. Too unpredictable for my liking and I needed more ground clearance for leans. I’m fresh out of the sportbike life and this is my first Harley. I drag floorboards, scrape mounts, and bags on my special with extended bags. Since switching to a more “performance bagger style” my life has become a lot nicer. Lol

Don’t let that discourage anyone from air though; especially a American suspension setup! It’s great if it suits your needs. Their control module is the best imo. No way for it to leak or fill without you pushing the plunger valve. I personally know two guys that went with another name brand setup, I won’t say which so I’m not throwing shade, and both have had issues with the electric solenoids. One guy was not as lucky as the other because he lost air while on the regular kickstand and came out to find the bike laid on the ground. Also American suspension makes their rear shocks as opposed to other brands that use Monroe or other car brand “air bag” style shocks that they rework a bit. Google picks of a few setups and you’ll see what I mean.
That’s helpful information Farley.sean!

All these suspension threads have me convinced that the suspension needs to be my next upgrade. The transitions from road to overpass and back can sometimes be quite unsettling for my wife on the back when touring, and the choppy corners can be unsettling for me when I’m riding solo. Like you, I have a sport bike background and do drag floorboards when riding solo (most of my riding), but also want my wife to be comfortable when we make 500+ mile day trips.

I’m thinking if I’m going to do it, I should do fronts and rears at the same time and be done with it, but I have no clue yet which suspension I should go with. If I do coils I would lean toward Fox (I think) but my original thinking was that air would give me the best of both worlds... if I knew how to set it for both aggressive solo and comfortable touring. From what I’ve been reading though, air seems to be better suited for looks when parked and comfortable touring... not so much for tail of the dragon.

On the other hand, it seems like it would be a pain in the @$$ to have to pull my saddlebags off to adjust the suspension every time the wife is going to go with me. It’s just another step along with changing the seat and adding the tour pack. Wouldn’t be the end of the world, but the notion of having a couple of buttons to air up/down should would be great.

All of this swirling around in my head has me a bit paralyzed at the moment.

Reactions: crazy4ink

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That’s helpful information Farley.sean!

All these suspension threads have me convinced that the suspension needs to be my next upgrade. The transitions from road to overpass and back can sometimes be quite unsettling for my wife on the back when touring, and the choppy corners can be unsettling for me when I’m riding solo. Like you, I have a sport bike background and do drag floorboards when riding solo (most of my riding), but also want my wife to be comfortable when we make 500+ mile day trips.

I’m thinking if I’m going to do it, I should do fronts and rears at the same time and be done with it, but I have no clue yet which suspension I should go with. If I do coils I would lean toward Fox (I think) but my original thinking was that air would give me the best of both worlds... if I knew how to set it for both aggressive solo and comfortable touring. From what I’ve been reading though, air seems to be better suited for looks when parked and comfortable touring... not so much for tail of the dragon.

On the other hand, it seems like it would be a pain in the @$$ to have to pull my saddlebags off to adjust the suspension every time the wife is going to go with me. It’s just another step along with changing the seat and adding the tour pack. Wouldn’t be the end of the world, but the notion of having a couple of buttons to air up/down should would be great.

All of this swirling around in my head has me a bit paralyzed at the moment.
Lol. I can totally relate to what you're saying about all the possible suspension options and feeling overwhelmed. I will say that I love my full air ride system but I do miss just being able to hop on my bike and go. Now it doesn't take me very long to air up to ride height and be set to go but it's not as easy as swing my leg over, start and go. However, for how I ride and the roads around me, the better quality ride is worth the trade off. When my bike was static dropped, I never drug floorboards because I'm not a real aggressive rider. I don't bounce like I used to, shit costs too much to tear up and with me being a state vehicle inspector for my dealership, it's not worth it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts