Road Glide banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John

I just installed a new J&M 500 watt 4 channel amp in my bike using the Aquatic AQ-MP-5BT-H media player and I have absolutely no sound whatsoever.
This model Aquatic only has 2 output RCA connectors in the rear the other 2 RCA connector are labeled input. As directed I used 2 RCA splitters and split the 2 outputs and hook the splitters to the RCA connector on the amp.
Doing this there is no sound at all to any of the 4 speakers, the green light on the amp is on, all the fuses are good, the remote wire is hooked up, I tried 2 different ground locations, the frame ground first and the battery ground 2nd.
The Aquatic is working because the equalizer is fluctuating and if I unhook the wiring from the amp to the speakers and hook in the front wires from the 23 pin connector I have all sorts of sound.
Either the problem is in the amp or in the Aquatic is there any test I can make to check the system??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Many new radios have a setting to turn on the RCA outputs. Simple test, go buy a 3.5 to RCA adapter. plug the adapter into your phone and the RCA's into the Amp. Play music on your phone. If the amp plays then the issue is at the stereo, if not its at the AMP.

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
You might want to eliminate the splitter at first ,just to check your signal. All good ideas above.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the input selector on the amp. Make sure it's set to low level instead of high. Also check the fade on the radio to ensure the rear channels are on. Good luck.

As far as I know there is not a selector on the amp for low level or high level and according to the instructions the amp is preset. Also from what I was told the RCA outputs were for front speakers only and that is why I needed a splitter because I didn't have front/rear fade. I will try setting the media player to rear output and see what happens.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Many new radios have a setting to turn on the RCA outputs. Simple test, go buy a 3.5 to RCA adapter. plug the adapter into your phone and the RCA's into the Amp. Play music on your phone. If the amp plays then the issue is at the stereo, if not its at the AMP.
Wasn't using a phone I was just using the radio and I would think that if the system doesn't work on the radio it won't work on a phone.

You might want to eliminate the splitter at first ,just to check your signal. All good ideas above.
I tried to eliminate the splitter but no matter what there was no sound no even a crackle or static.

To me it sounds like there is no ground because when I had a ground fail once on my Hogtunes system I didn't get any sound, but I tried 2 different ground locations and the green power light on the amp is on.

It was getting late so I will check everything in the morning and see what happens. I am not sure if it is the amp or the outputs on the media player.

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went out this morning and checked the fader and it was on full front speakers so I went to full rear speakers and there was no change STILL NO SOUND fader is set in the middle now.
The Aquatic doesn't have any setting to change the output signal.
Checked all the fuses with a ohm meter and they all showed good.
I did check the RCA outputs with a volt meter and with the setting on DCV 200m I was getting 3 volts which is about the same as the output coming out of the 23 pin connector.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
What about the amp? Does it have an input selector? The green light will show as long as it has power. Amos usually have a high(speaker wire)-low(RCA)input selector. The pic below shows it on the Hawgwired RS400. Bottom left corner next to the 3.5mm input jack. ImageUploadedByMO Free1446912045.101048.jpg

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can see the word input on the amp but if there is a switch it is covered with white tape and from what I understand if I remove the tape it will void the warranty from J&M.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I can see the word input on the amp but if there is a switch it is covered with white tape and from what I understand if I remove the tape it will void the warranty from J&M.
Are you sure you are getting power from the switchable power source? Also, check that fuse by the battery. Sling blade theory, no gas?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

Oh. Well if your amp is setup for speaker level input and you are running RCA to it, the symptoms are very similar to what you are describing.

Another problem you are going to run into by splitting the rear channels and sending that to your amp and front speakers is that with digital music, all sound doesn't go to the rear channels. Remember the old 5 speaker surround sound home systems. You're sitting there watching a movie and all of a sudden there is sound coming from behind you? That's how your music is going to sound, except you're only going to get the part that is sent to the rear speakers. Now modern audio systems send more than just the scary part to the rears now, but the assumption is always that most sounds originate in the front speakers. I wouldn't expect that recommendation to come from an audio shop.

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
IronMark ,,,,,

please look directly at the little light on the side of the J&M ROKKER AMP ,,,,,, and tell me exactly what it does when you turn on your ignition ,,,,,

it should cycle from flashing green to steady green within about a 12-15 second time period ,,,,

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The green light flashed for 10 to 15 seconds and then it was steady green.
I took the amp out right now because I am not getting any sound using the RCA plugs. I did hook up the speakers using the front wires coming out of the 23 pin connector to the fairing speakers then I hooked the lower fairing speakers to the 4 wire rear speaker plug that comes out of the media player, all the speakers are working this way.
There are 2 models of Aquatic media players the model I have has only 2 RCA output coming out of the back the other model has 4 RCA outputs coming out of the back and the color display screen.
I will get a hold of tech support at Aquatics and see what they have to say. I am not sure if the problem is in the media player or the amp.

·
Registered
8,642 Posts
The green light flashed for 10 to 15 seconds and then it was steady green.
I took the amp out right now because I am not getting any sound using the RCA plugs. I did hook up the speakers using the front wires coming out of the 23 pin connector to the fairing speakers then I hooked the lower fairing speakers to the 4 wire rear speaker plug that comes out of the media player, all the speakers are working this way.
There are 2 models of Aquatic media players the model I have has only 2 RCA output coming out of the back the other model has 4 RCA outputs coming out of the back and the color display screen.
I will get a hold of tech support at Aquatics and see what they have to say. I am not sure if the problem is in the media player or the amp.
Mark, on my Alpine, in the menu, it gave me options to turn on/off internal amp . Using the rca hook up , the internal amp is not needed. Your HU may need to have the internal amp off to power the rca outputs. I'm just guessing of course.

·
JMJOHN
1,002 Posts
I also have a new Aquatic radio waiting for me when I return to Tucson on Wednesday next week ,,,,, ((we are in Galveston right now)) ,,,,

I am going to mount it into our own 2012 StreetGlide in place of the Haley HK radio ,,,,, then we will learn all of the correct connection procedures and amplifier tuning that needs to be done, to allow the new Aquatic radio to perform at its maximum level ,,,,,,

I will of course post the results here on RoadGlide forums ,,,,,

·
Registered
29 Posts
4 channel amp

With this new radio, on the J&M 630 amp. I connected faring ,pods, and bags speakers that is 6 total. Radio was flashed to 0 amp, 4 speakers. My question is are all the speakers suppose to run on the front fade and the rear fade no sound ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts