Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the plunge and installed 14” Wild1 Chubby Reapers on my 2009. Replaced the bushings, hard wired the TBW and had to replace the clutch cable and brake lines. Besides the time to hardware and pull the cables and one dumb asssss mistake (over tightened the front brake line and striped the master reservoir), Not that bad of a process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Took the plunge and installed 14” Wild1 Chubby Reapers on my 2009. Replaced the bushings, hard wired the TBW and had to replace the clutch cable and brake lines. Besides the time to hardware and pull the cables and one dumb asssss mistake (over tightened the front brake line and striped the master reservoir), Not that bad of a process.

Those new bars look killer brother

Congrats

Swomack

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to be doing the bars on my 13 in a few weeks...any words of wisdom besides don't strip the bolts?....

Take pictures of your wires and connectors. Reconnecting them is much easier. Also if you decide to get rid of the green TBW connector, and hard wire, stagger the connections so it is not so bulky going thru the bars.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Take pictures of your wires and connectors. Reconnecting them is much easier. Also if you decide to get rid of the green TBW connector, and hard wire, stagger the connections so it is not so bulky going thru the bars.

thanks! I don't really see a reason for the connector and it seems to be a problem for a lot of people so its probably going in the trash!

·
Registered
885 Posts
thanks! I don't really see a reason for the connector and it seems to be a problem for a lot of people so its probably going in the trash!

I concur! When I did my former 13 RGU Last winter, I picked up a SE TBW unit without the connector (great deal on EBay); in fact, if you mess yours up I still have the stock TBW somewhere in my garage...

·
Registered
85 Posts
what length cables did you get and what brand cables did you go with? just for reference. my apes should be here on thursday and i am really dreading measuring it always seems that the brake line is right but the clutch cable is too long.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts

Bars look awesome!!!

Plus 1 on the above on the pics, ditch the connector-spare parts:surprise:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what length cables did you get and what brand cables did you go with? just for reference. my apes should be here on thursday and i am really dreading measuring it always seems that the brake line is right but the clutch cable is too long.

I ordered a complete handlebar install set from Magnum Shielding for my size bars. I ordered the 12” - 14” set. They are a couple inches longer than I would like. I also needed the extended throttle wiring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I ordered a complete handlebar install set from Magnum Shielding for my size bars. I ordered the 12” - 14” set. They are a couple inches longer than I would like. I also needed the extended throttle wiring.

thanks man

·
Registered
479 Posts
Good looking bars. Threading the wiring on the right side was a true PITA. Other than that it is a 30-45 minute job.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the kind word about the look of the bars. I am happy with the results. For what’s it worth, when I started this project the wiring was my big concern. However on these older models, installing new clutch cable, which required me to remove the exhaust and add new fluids along with the new front brake lines, new brake fluids and bleeding the brake system, added much more time than the wiring. If you move to a CVO TBW or hard wire it, the wire install is not that difficult. For anyone like me that is new to this it’s the little things that add time. For example, I replaced my bushings. Not a big deal, unless you put your bike on the lift and lock in the wheel chock and remove the handle bars only to realize you need to be able to turn the wheel to get to the bolts. Spend a little more time on this board before you start and you can save hours and embarrassment.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice looking bars. How do they feel? What kind of riding position do they put you in?

Love them so far, I have about 100 mile on the been raining. I have a Mustang solo. I am 5 10 will a tall upper body and some pull back. I found a little more control in the turns and less fatigue.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I am going to be doing the bars on my 13 in a few weeks...any words of wisdom besides don't strip the bolts?....

Take pictures of your wires and connectors. Reconnecting them is much
easier. Also if you decide to get rid of the green TBW connector, and hard wire, stagger the connections so it is not so bulky going thru the bars.

Looking at doing new bars this weekend. This green connection, is it in the bars? Can I pull the tbw out of the old bar and unplug? Haveing a hard time seeing any info on this. Also do I need to open fairing to do this install? Thanks for any help

1 - 20 of 24 Posts