Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I just wanted to let my fellow Roadgliders know that I took the plunge on some new suspension. Ohlins 2-2b which are the 12 7/8" in length (stock being 12", my bike is a FLTRX) only 250 miles on the new shocks but the ride already seems 100% better. Most say these shocks need 650-1000 miles of break in to deliver the best ride, however they are already so great for large as well as small bumps, and carving ability has been greatly increased. They do raise the rear of the bike 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch, in my opinion the much improved ride is worth jacking up the rear slightly. I cannot comment on 2-up riding yet as my wife is VERY pregnant. Keep in mind I do currently have stock suspension up front so I'm trying to keep that separated in my mind. I will post some pics later in the day when I get home from work.

·
Registered
346 Posts
After the 117 engine build is completed, I'll tackle the suspension short
comings. These are on the short list.
I'd be interested to here how they settle in after say a thousand miles.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You will like the Ohlins - money well spent.......

·
Registered
958 Posts
Motorcyclemetal - Howard.......

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
you will love them Ohlins are great

·
Registered
331 Posts
I just installed a set of Ohlins 3-3's. They sure seem stiff. What are you all running for rebound damping? How many clicks out after running them all the way up?

BG

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just installed a set of Ohlins 3-3's. They sure seem stiff. What are you all running for rebound damping? How many clicks out after running them all the way up?

BG
Sorry, very unsure about those shocks as the 2-2's I own don't have the same type of adjusters. Best thing to do is find someone who has the 3's or talk to Howard. Also remember they will soften up between 600-1000 miles due to break in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You will love your Ohlins. I had a set installed on my Dyna Street Bob and it truly transformed the bikes long range ride-ability. Howard REALLY knows his motorcycle suspension!
Jay

·
Registered
22 Posts
How easy is it to install the Ohlins shocks? It looks like if you to leave the bike on the ground you could easily replace the shocks one side at a time. Right??? Any special tool needed? Replacing shocks is one thing I've never tried to do on my bikes.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It is very easy to replace them. Yes, I did mine one at a time.

After raising the rear tire up off of the ground, I wedged a car ramp under the rear tire to hold it at the exact position relative to the rest of the bike. Then removed the right side first, replaced it with the new shock. Then repeated the evolution on the left side.

I recommend obtaining a torque wrench to put the appropriate amount of torque back on the bolts. Too loose they fall out. Too tight they bind the shock up and hinder its ability to rotate as the lever angle changes.

BG

·
Registered
331 Posts
I got my bike lift from Harbor Freight. I picked it up and they had it in stock. I see they have it here for $100.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=ATV%20lift

It works great on my Harley for cleaning and removing wheels and associated running gear. It also lifts up high enough to see better.:eek:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts