Road Glide banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, a while back I installed the Hog Wired amp kit with 6.5" speakers. System worked great and sounded good. TLater I installed the Polk audio 6.5" speakers in the inner fairing, driving them with the same Hog Wired amp. Sounded much better, really happy with the whole set-up. Then I decided I needed more sound...so I added a Rockford Fosgate amp (300x2) to run the inner fairing speakers. I had to go to HD and pick up a few parts (pt# 69200033 and 2 additional pins 74xxx) to run the amp and speakers when hooking it up to the 35 pin radio connector.

Now the radio will turn on and everything works great (sounds great!) but when I shut the bike off the radio and HW stay on. I checked over all the wiring, it all looks good.

I wound up pulling the remote wire from the cigarette lighter and everything is now normal. The radio and both amps shut off. Why is this? I never had a problem with the HW amp remote wire hooked to the cigarette lighter but when I added the RF amp in line with it the radio stayed on. Has anyone else run into this issue? What am I missing here. Thanks!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Cause the RF amp uses the signal from the hi level inputs to sense that it needs to turn on. Basically you were giving it a constant power supply until the capacitors in the RF amp discharged by using the cigarette lighter to the remote turn on of the amp. You dont need a remote signal with the RF amp.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I will buy that. Neither amp has a remote wire hooked up now and they both come on when the bike is switched to on. Thanks, just trying to make sure before I button it all back up.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
If you pulled the remote off of the lighter and everything works correctly now......Check the polarity of the cig lighter with a meter or test light. It's possible your lighter is wired backwards, and you were supplying a constant ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts