Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I ordered the HD Adjustable Backrest mount 52596-09A along with the smooth style backrest pad.

This will be used with the Harley Hammock Rider and Passenger Touring Seat.

I have read a few tutorials and watched some videos and it looks pretty straight forward. Any tricks or tips that I should be aware of? I have read some mixed reports of some saying the installation was a challenge and other's saying not bad at all. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It is really very easy. Take your time and you won't have any troubles!

Reactions: JakeC7R

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same exact set-up, it has moved three times on three different Road Glides since 2010. Just put it on my '18 CVO Road Glide this week. The directions are spot on. Just make sure you tape the inside slot of your seat or it will tear over time. Good luck, having ridden many long trips with this Hammock and adj backrest, you are going to enjoy it.

*Just thought about it. I'm 6'3", I had the backrest support cut (so that it will be further back) and welded to fit my hammock seat and me better.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the quick replies.

Sounds like it should be easy - I'll make sure to tape up where the backrest support rubs on the seat.

I'm only 5' 10" so I imagine it will be a bit forward. I'm looking forward to anything that helps keep me in the saddle longer without my back complaining too much! :laugh:

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
3,028 Posts
Many of the reviewers on HD's website complain that the adjustable does not adjust back enough. Give a review once you install it. I've been afraid to but one due to the negative reviews.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many of the reviewers on HD's website complain that the adjustable does not adjust back enough. Give a review once you install it. I've been afraid to but one due to the negative reviews.
I sure will, I'll even take a couple of photos!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Install is simple, as stated by others. My opinion is that my back rest does two things, 1) when normal riding, it is positioned to be a reminder of where I need to be if my posture is perfect. That does more to keep my back from getting sore on a long trip. 2) When I need to kick back for a while and put my feet up on the highway pegs, that’s when I really lean into the backrest, and it needs to be angled so it is best suited for that. I wouldn’t ride without one, great accessory.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Did this several years ago w my 13RGU. Very easy. Embarrassed to say this was the one time I confused inch lbs and foot lbs when I torqued (probably don’t even need to do that). There IS a difference : )

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the same exact set-up, it has moved three times on three different Road Glides since 2010. Just put it on my '18 CVO Road Glide this week. The directions are spot on. Just make sure you tape the inside slot of your seat or it will tear over time. Good luck, having ridden many long trips with this Hammock and adj backrest, you are going to enjoy it.

*Just thought about it. I'm 6'3", I had the backrest support cut (so that it will be further back) and welded to fit my hammock seat and me better.
I'm reading these instructions and the only part that makes no sense is how to install the seat protector. Seems unnecessarily complicated. Where did you put it, in the slot toward the front of the bike, with the protector edge close to the top of the seat?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I think it does go near the top but on the rear side of the whole, behind the mechanism.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think it does go near the top but on the rear side of the whole, behind the mechanism.
Yes now I see you are right - but still have not installed it because the forward "fold down" position doesn't really work. What I mean is, it says you can just push the backrest forward 90 degrees or so to make it easier to get on. But when I push it forward that much, it looks like too much strain on the hammock seat. Maybe it is too "thick" and this is designed for a thinner stock seat. Also, it doesn't lock down in the forward "fold down" position, is is supposed to do that?

Really none of this is a huge problem because just based on me sitting and moving the backrest forward or back I can tell I can find a sweet spot in there! I think this thing is going to be the bomb diggity. Already can tell this is going to be great to push my back against and stretch my legs and spine!

Even if I can't fold it down, I can still get my leg over to get in the seat. Just a bit of a puzzler. Maybe you are supposed to push it down, hold it, swing your leg over then let it spring back up.

Also, the instructions are wrong. It says you have to put a speed clip on the frame to mount the seat control cable. So I spent 10 or 15 minutes jacking around with it, then noticed the hole it was supposed to go over already has threads! Sure enough there is no need for that, the screw that comes with the kit, that holds the control to the frame works just fine and no clip needed.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Don’t still have mine to check it, but seems like I couldn’t fold mine forward really until I had it mounted. And you’re right. The Hammock is thicker and might be more of an issue. But for me it didn’t matter. I never folded it forward. That wasn’t easy for me. Seemed like more contorting to try to hold it down. My method getting is probably weird. I’d think of putting my knee over and just having my foot folded back. Just seemed simple for me and hardly ever hit the backrest. Most seem to put their leg forward and slide on. Good luck figuring out what works for you. That backrest is a lot better mechanism than my “adjustable” on my CVO. I miss the old one. Once I found my sweet spot I hardly ever changed it - but you can find your perfect position.

You’ll like it. Don’t fall asleep riding : )

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don’t still have mine to check it, but seems like I couldn’t fold mine forward really until I had it mounted. And you’re right. The Hammock is thicker and might be more of an issue. But for me it didn’t matter. I never folded it forward. That wasn’t easy for me. Seemed like more contorting to try to hold it down. My method getting is probably weird. I’d think of putting my knee over and just having my foot folded back. Just seemed simple for me and hardly ever hit the backrest. Most seem to put their leg forward and slide on. Good luck figuring out what works for you. That backrest is a lot better mechanism than my “adjustable” on my CVO. I miss the old one. Once I found my sweet spot I hardly ever changed it - but you can find your perfect position.

You’ll like it. Don’t fall asleep riding : )
Hi Ron, thanks for that info. I agree in that I don't really see the need to fold it down anyway, This thing is really nice as far as adjustability goes - I can't wait to try it out on a ling ride! I'll take a couple pix when I take the seat off to put on the seat protector.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Success and a Few Pix

Really like the new adjustable backrest! I also threw in a photo of the stock seat next to the hammock seat - that hammock looks HUGE by comparison.

Definitely raises me up a bit but very comfortable on my old butt! I think the wife will be happy!

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
For me the back rest would not go low enough to support my lower back. I cut a 1in. piece out of the stem and welded it up. Fits great now. Once I find the right spot, I seldom move it. Couldn't ride without it.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For me the back rest would not go low enough to support my lower back. I cut a 1in. piece out of the stem and welded it up. Fits great now. Once I find the right spot, I seldom move it. Couldn't ride without it.
I just got back from an hour test ride with it and I see what you mean. Two things really. First is that is a low as it will go and it would be nice a little lower. Maybe my neighbor welder will do the same for me. Second is the farthest back setting was good until I rode with my jacket and thick back armor. With the jacket on it would be nice if I could get it a little farther back. That I think I can fix by putting it in a vise and bending it a little with a sledge hammer to give me maybe another 10 or 20 degrees on the bend in the backrest.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I just got back from an hour test ride with it and I see what you mean. Two things really. First is that is a low as it will go and it would be nice a little lower. Maybe my neighbor welder will do the same for me. Second is the farthest back setting was good until I rode with my jacket and thick back armor. With the jacket on it would be nice if I could get it a little farther back. That I think I can fix by putting it in a vise and bending it a little with a sledge hammer to give me maybe another 10 or 20 degrees on the bend in the backrest.
I had the same feeling on my 16 rgs. I would not recommend trying to bend the backrest. Very hard steel. You wouldn't want to stress the steel and have it break if you would lean back hard. Try shimming the mounts' lower bolt outward (forward) with a couple washers. That will give you a few more degrees rearward. Worked for me.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I had the same feeling on my 16 rgs. I would not recommend trying to bend the backrest. Very hard steel. You wouldn't want to stress the steel and have it break if you would lean back hard. Try shimming the mounts' lower bolt outward (forward) with a couple washers. That will give you a few more degrees rearward. Worked for me.
Good idea about the washers as shims to change the angle - had not thought of that but it's a simple fix. Before I read your post I already beat the snot out of it with a large lead hammer LOL. Then cut a 1" piece out. Man that is some tough steel! It seems pretty solid - my neighbor quickly welded it up and it is in the paint shop (which means on top of my trash cans) getting painted as we speak! Can't wait to try it out!

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
With my last bike my shoulder started to hurt and my arm would go tingly after a few hours. I never would have thought that a backrest (and a new Road Glide) would fix all that! I made a trip and put over 5000 miles on her in less than 2 weeks and did not have any issues. I set it once and have not changed it but I hear the non-adjustable version is a pain to get set right.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts