Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to tackle a 107 build and one question I have pertains to the cam bearing install. I purchased the Heartland Tools installer and I am curious as to how far you install the bearing. The HD instructions say to set a torque wrench to 25 fl lbs and continue turning until that torque is met. Is this a good method to use or is there a better one?

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
It's been a couple years since I did mine, but I don't recall using a torque wrench at all. I just installed them until the face of the bearing was flush with the face of the engine case.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the Fuel Moto videos and watched them a few times. It doesn't specifically say how far to install them. It does mention seating them a hair past flush but I was curious if there was a definitive way to install.

I would think these installers would only have a certain amount of threads and they would end at the correct depth, therefore taking out any variables.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I saw the Fuel Moto videos and watched them a few times. It doesn't specifically say how far to install them. It does mention seating them a hair past flush but I was curious if there was a definitive way to install.

I would think these installers would only have a certain amount of threads and they would end at the correct depth, therefore taking out any variables.
That's exactly how I installed mine, 'a hair past flush'. That seemed to work just fine.

Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
In the video above, at 4:20 you'll see him out the bearing on the installer bushing. You'll notice that the rear of the installer bushing is larger in diameter than the bearing. The step on the bushing serves as a stopping point. The installer is screwed in till it stops solidly, it cannot install the bearing too deep.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Correct info with numbers facing out and bearing just below flush.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The cam bearing tool that I rented was set up to install the bearing to the right depth. It was last year so I don't remember whose tool it was but I could look it up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts