Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of the newer style factory color matched lower fairings for my 2016 Road Glide Special. I also purchased OEM speaker pods to install a pair of Polk MM651 speakers. There were no baffles provided with the speaker pods. It seems to me that there should be something behind the speaker. Or am I thinking about this wrong? As of now, the speaker would just bolt into the opening and have an open cavity of air down to my feet.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I recently purchased a set of the newer style factory color matched lower fairings for my 2016 Road Glide Special. I also purchased OEM speaker pods to install a pair of Polk MM651 speakers. There were no baffles provided with the speaker pods. It seems to me that there should be something behind the speaker. Or am I thinking about this wrong? As of now, the speaker would just bolt into the opening and have an open cavity of air down to my feet.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Not sure if the speaker pod changed for the 15-16 models, but I have the HD speaker pods on my 13. They fully encase the speaker. There is no opening down to the feet. The pic below is a set of hogworkz, but the HD is a similar design. ImageUploadedByMO Free1456367898.611664.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are a couple of pictures.

The newer style lower fairings:

The newer style speaker pods:

These pods are hollow and without a back. You can actually see the speaker wire hanging out of the lower fairing in the top picture. I am thinking about picking up some Dyna Mat speaker baffles. Will likely test these out without anything behind them first. Still waiting for the amp to get here anyway. That should be here tomorrow. Then I will need to run power, ground, etc.

Any suggestions on how to route the wires into the upper fairing? Is there a correct path for the wires to take from the lower fairing tot he upper fairing?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Any suggestions on how to route the wires into the upper fairing? Is there a correct path for the wires to take from the lower fairing tot he upper fairing?

Thanks in advance.
Those look great, My wires are run on the underside of the top of the crash bar.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've used those speaker baffles in my work car to try to contain some of the noise and to make sure they didn't get hit by water since the car is a Cracker Jack box. They seemed to work decent, they are not the cure all but I think they would defiantly help your situation. They are pretty sizable so you'll have to do some trimming, and maybe smash them in to get them to fit. But the good news is they are pretty cheap in case they don't end up working for you.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finishing up a couple of other "needed" upgrades and then I will be getting back to the speaker and amp install.

What I have is 4 Polk MM651 speakers and a Soundstream Stealth 4 channel amp. Will I need to flash the factory head unit for this install?

I haven't read the amp install manual yet and it has been a while since I have installed sound equipment. Do I split the line out from the head unit into each line in on the amp? Any suggestions on wiring this configuration would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Finishing up a couple of other "needed" upgrades and then I will be getting back to the speaker and amp install.

What I have is 4 Polk MM651 speakers and a Soundstream Stealth 4 channel amp. Will I need to flash the factory head unit for this install?

I haven't read the amp install manual yet and it has been a while since I have installed sound equipment. Do I split the line out from the head unit into each line in on the amp? Any suggestions on wiring this configuration would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
I can't speak of a flash or line leveler or nothing. I seen folks on this forum do it all 3 ways. As far as hooking up an amp by way of (high level hook up), you'll use the oem speaker wires , front/ rear, right /left, positive/negative. You run those wires into the line leveler or amp input accordingto your choice , then run the new speaker wires out of your amp. You'll also need battery power /ground, remote / switched power line . Most amps don't use a remote power line to switch the amp on/ off if your wired by way of high level . Instead, it uses the high level input that's already coming from your oem speaker wires. Follow your amps manual.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Big Gary. Just got home. Will be pulling the manual out tonight for some inspired reading. Have the day off tomorrow. Hoping to have a successful day in the garage tomorrow working on the bike. Chrome fork sliders, Legend Axeo front suspension, reinstall everything and then work on stereo upgrades to get things buttoned up and back on the road.

I will post some pics when I am done.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Thanks Big Gary. Just got home. Will be pulling the manual out tonight for some inspired reading. Have the day off tomorrow. Hoping to have a successful day in the garage tomorrow working on the bike. Chrome fork sliders, Legend Axeo front suspension, reinstall everything and then work on stereo upgrades to get things buttoned up and back on the road.

I will post some pics when I am done.
Remember to pull your bike's maxi fuse before starting your project. :), also add a fuse on your amp's positive battery power, no more than 6" from the battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts