Road Glide banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a simple stick on insulation that can be used for both saddlebags and tourpack? I am not looking for enough to keep things cold, but just enough to keep the heat down. It gets to well above 100 here.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Possibly the stuff used under car carpet? Keeps heat from engine bay off the feet.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Do you care what it looks like? If not, I would suggest getting a roll of Reflectix at Home Depot/Lowes. It is cheap (less than $20 for a big roll), fairly thin and very effective. I've used it on various pieces of brewing equipment with great success. You will need some double-sided tape or velcro tabs to keep it in place, and it will be a little time consuming trying to make a good template for all the inside surfaces, but I believe it would be well worth it in the end.

Or perhaps just get a couple of soft-sided coolers to keep things in and call it good. Sometimes simple is good enough.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I got the HD liners, they are made out of a felt like material and do seem to provide some insulation. You would still need to add insulation to the lids. Not sure if they would provide as much insulation as what you're looking for, and they are expensive. Got mine for free using reward points. The do provide good protection for the saddle bags and contents.
https://mstore.harley-davidson.com/store/premium-saddlebag-liner

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
You can also get a roll of Dyno-mat at your local auto parts store. Usually found near the stereo equipment.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts

·
Registered
8,262 Posts

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I wonder how rugged that bag is ? That would also dub as a great travel bag .
My buddy has a pair. When we go on road trips, one carries cold stuff & the other clothes. He hasn't had any problems so far. I forgot to mention he does use a heavy garbage bag to line his liner. He's OCD just like me.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lots of great ideas. I will have to check some out. I was not looking to keep things cool, like water or soda, or..... I just wanted to keep out or reflect some the heat generated inside my bags and tourpack.

·
Registered
6,443 Posts
How about something like this? I used something similar when I was building a VW Bug a few years back... spray on or brush on ceramic coating. The one I used restricted heat/cold, and also sound. Obviously sound is not important in this application.

Spray-On Insulation - Automotive Insulation Coatings | LizardSkin
You could also use Plasti Dip.

It's a rubber coating that holds up really well.

Because it's rubber I would think that the items in your bags wouldn't move around as much.

I have thought about trying it to see how it works for inside the saddlebags but most likely if I had stock side bags I would just purchase the Harley liners.

Swomack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts