Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question.

I have had type 1 Diabetes since I was 6 years old. I am sure there are a few on here that have insulin dependant diabetes as well. What have you found as the best way to transport insulin (pens in my case) when traveling long distances with extrememe temperatures?

I just bought a Frio pen holder today but plan on keeping it inside another cooler on ride from Dallas to Sturgis this year.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
I'm not insulin dependant or diabetic, but when I did a lot of cycling I used to have those water bottles you could put in the freezer to freeze the built in liquid and that kept the water cold a little bit longer. that could be an option for storage. You can find them at any Sun & Ski sports or REI.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
My wife is a childhood diabetic. We have a small cooler that we can bungie to the luggage rack on our tour pack. In reality, we've only used it once or twice over the past 20 years. Of course, I'm in So Cal and it never gets too hot.

If you're taking a road trip you can always have your doctor write an extra Rx to take with you. If your insulin goes bad you can refill it anywhere.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I'm not diabetic but maybe you could use one of the small waterproof cigar travel cases. They are waterproof, air tight and pretty durable. They have foam padding inside to keep the cigars from getting damaged but I would imagine you can cut the foam to fit your needs. This link is just an example of what I'm talking about and you can get them in several different sizes and colors from different vendors locally or from Amazon or the like http://m.otterbox.com/otterbox-3000-cases/otterbox-3000-cases,default,sc.html

·
Super Moderator
1,776 Posts
I carry mine in my shave kit in the tourpak liner next to my hyper cool vest that is in a heavy duty ziplock freezer bag.

Each night I put it in the fridge in the hotel room. I carry extra ziplock bags all the time. No Fridge in the room, I will put the pens in ziplock bags and put them on top of some ice in an ice bucket for overnight. I always put fresh ice in before I go to bed.

I have not had any trouble travelling long distances this way.

Toughest test I have had was with U.S customs searching my bike at the border and finding the needles that I used to carry before the insulin pens.

My wife blister packs all my oral meds and puts the labels on the inside flap. I carry a letter from my doctor regarding pens and needle tips (that's more for flying) but it certainly helps.

Good luck, check your blood sugars often and ride safe.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, i have tried some of these ideas. I was searching myself and found a thing called a climapak form www.kewlinnovations.com
anyone ever tried that, its expensive but if it works for 3 or 4 days I might have to try one.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,870 Posts
I'm also a Type 1 diabetic and I carry both the Novalog pens and bottles of Lantus when I travel. That Climapak looks pretty interesting as I've always struggled to find a good compromise between saving space and providing proper cooling, but whoa, that's pretty pricey! I expected to see an HD logo on it for that cost. :rolleyes: I've done several multi-week cross country trips using a six-pack cooler stuffed in the saddlebag alternately using the freezing gel packs or simply ice in a ziplock bag when I don't manage to refreeze the gels. Most hotels that I stop in seem to offer a freezer, though, and if not, the front desk is often happy to put it in their freezer overnight. I travel for a living, so I have to resort to this kind of begging frequently. If you grab one of those Climapak, let me know how it works out. If it's as good as advertised I might bite the bullet and spend the cash.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Zig,
I am Type2 IDDM, I was on the accu-chek combo pump, it held 315U, so it last me about a week, I back it up with a novo pen. I have never had any cloudy insulin on any of my rides. There are a lot of way cheaper alternatives, I keep a water bottle frozen at all times. I wrap the ins bottle in a paper towel the foil, the foil it to the water bottle, n wrap all of it in a white towel(trick from desert) it will keep for about 3-4 days, the ice will melt but it's still really cool. The wherever I go I have 2 sandwich ziplock bags and one quart bag, so I can pack with fast food ice, n wrap in white towel, as u stop u can wipe your face with the cool towel when u check on ur ins. I am now on the omnipod with dextron GCM used thru my iPhone 6s. Just my 2cents

·
Registered
290 Posts
i to am a type 1 have been for 39 years,i have always kept a small cooler with ice in it and insulin wrapped in a small towel so not to get to cold,never had a problem.i have one of those frios as well but it needs air flow to work properly so being inside tour pak there is none i haven't tried it

·
Registered
83 Posts
We recently purchased an small lunch bag at Bed, Bath and Beyond, that has the gel packs built into the sides. It is small, and soft sided so it can be folded down very small. We freeze it the night before and put it in the mini freeze in the hotel and it stays cool for the entire trip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts