Road Glide banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is that time of year again. WAS with Progressive (through USAA) and got my renewal notice. Started calling around and tried GEICO and Markel.

Markel was the best and came in just about $100 lower. I called Progressive to see if they could match so I could stay on with them. Nope. Now, I am insuring 2 Harleys, so this is not exactly a small Policy.

Any way. Am happy I found Markel and they have a add on for $16 a yr where if I total my 2015, I will get a new bike. This is up to 3 yrs. So, if I keep renewing and in 2018, total my RGS, I get a new 2018 RG or equivalent.... :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you tell Progressive that you had an active HOG Membership? (Assuming that you do with a '15 bike)

Progressive is the underwriter for Harley-Davidson Insurance, so they give a significant discount for an active HOG Membership account. It has made enough of a difference for me that it has kept me with them for several years now. It also gives me a reason to keep my HOG membership current - it is cheaper to pay the HOG membership for what I save on my bike insurance.

·
Registered
2021 Ducati Multistrada V4S
4,480 Posts
been using Dairyland for many years and they come thru when you need them , which is more important than the cost of the policy in my book

JtB

Was just going to ask about this because I agree with the second half of your statement. I too have been using Progressive because they do come through. At least the one time I had to use them and from the people I know that have. Heard too many horror stories about other companies and in particular Geico. With that being said it does depend a lot on your adjuster no matter what the company. I may look into switching from Progressive if I can save some money and have the piece of mind that they will come through if I ever need them.

·
Premium Member
6,255 Posts
I just recently got my renewal from progressive. had a pretty sizeable increase this year so I did like everyone else, I started shopping around. I checked markel, dairyland, state farm, geico (even though I've heard too many bad stories). not a one came within $300 of progressive, and some don't write in la.

check between progressive directly, and progressive through hd. I found it to be cheaper through hd.

another thing I found out. you get a discount for paying in full for the year (always do that). this year, things were tight, was thinking I would have to give that up, but then I noticed that they take paypal. well, paypal has a program where you can use them to pay then pay them back over 6 months with 0% interest.

also, to reduce the rate, I upped my deductible. I had $250. so I upped it to $500, but with disappearing deductible it is actually $375. so saved a little coin, and only really upped my deductible $125.

·
Administrator
13,732 Posts
Dairyland gives a good discount for paying in full and auto pay monthly .. My auto pay monthly is $49 with $250 deductible and $6000 additional accessories . At one time , they offered for $15 a year , for the first three years , full replacement value if the bike is totaled ..

Also your zip code has a lot to do with your premium cost ..

JtB

·
Registered
440 Posts
It pays to shop around for insurance every few years. And more times than not it pays to bundle your bike/auto/home/etc. policies with the same company. And as has been said, your zip code & credit status also count.

So just a couple of months ago I got another HD flyer touting their bike insurance. I called the 800 number, it was Progressive, and we compared apples to apples. My State Farm policy with very good coverage for a '13 RGC is $323 a year. Same coverage with Progressive, figuring in discounts for multi car and having homeowners & umbrella policy also with Progressive, the rate they quoted for my bike was a bit over $1,350 per year. MORE THAN 4 TIMES HIGHER. Also checked on my cage and Progressive was almost exactly double the SF rate. Now, I know there are folks who get a good rate from Progressive, but for some reason I ain't one of them. Don't know why. Haven't had a vehicle insurance claim since the late 70's and my credit is darn near perfect--always pay bills on time and don't owe nobody nuthin.

And within the last few years I have also had Geico and Dairyland. Problem with Dairyland was that although their bike coverage was very good they only write high risk coverage for cages--meaning high premium and low coverage. And not many years ago SF was ridiculously high on bikes so I went with Geico but then they went and pi$$ed me off (long story).

Also, an interesting note, can't remember if it is the UNinsurd motorist coverage or the UNDERinsured motorist coverage, which ain't cheap, but SF gives me that coverage for both my bike and my cage but they only charge me that premium on my cage--I have that coverage on my bike but there is NOT a premium amount charged to me on the bike. Progressive's quote charged me that premium on both my bike and my cage.

It does pay to occasionally shop around.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It always pays to shop around, however it depends on your location the most.
Some states, and some counties within each state, just have higher rates, no matter who the insurer is.
I have used Foremost for years and can say that my only claim was handled quickly and without issues. However, they paid more to repair the bike, when all said and done, then it cost me new. It was less then one year old at the time of the accident.
Big mistake on their part.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something about me that bumps my insurance up: age (59); divorced (?), zip code (?). Anyway. With Progressive, they were $100 above what I got but my Fatboy was limited use (meaning I had to call them and notify them when I would be riding the bike). Also, deduct was $1,000.

With Markel, I was $1,000 less, both bikes were comprehensive and deduct was $500 ($1,100 for both). So, it saved me $100 and also gave me better coverage on the Fatboy.

Interestingly enough. There is only $80 difference between $500 and $1000 deduct.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.