Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car, I financed it through my bank. (Service Credit Union) before I could leave they made sure I had insurance on it so I had to call my insurance and have them send over an "insurance binder." When I bought my first Harley last weekend, I financed it through my bank and there was no mention of getting insurance. I plan to anyway, but I was just wondering why they never said anything about it.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
That's odd. When I bought my bike in PA. I had to call and have it faxed to the dealership or they would not finalize the loan and put my tags on it.

Here in Ohio they just made me sign something saying I had insurance.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I would echo that sounds odd. Can't imagine a bank signing off on the loan without the guarantee of insurance. Especially on a $20k+ investment on their part.

I had to prove i had insurance to complete the paperwork with lienholder.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
every bike I've bought (7 of them) I've had to have a binder faxed to the dealership before they would let the bike leave.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just sent through that as well. Just had to provide a copy of my current insurance card for the bike I was trading in. The previous company finance company had wanted the values of the insurance policy. So I believe it depends on the finance company...

·
Registered
302 Posts
When I bought my car, I financed it through my bank. (Service Credit Union) before I could leave they made sure I had insurance on it so I had to call my insurance and have them send over an "insurance binder." When I bought my first Harley last weekend, I financed it through my bank and there was no mention of getting insurance. I plan to anyway, but I was just wondering why they never said anything about it.
Very simply, it's not the dealerships problem.

A dealership that is set up to sell you the vehicle insurance, will insist on a physical damage binder. On the oft chance they can get you to buy from them.

I live in Mass., bought my RG S from Manchester Harley. Traded in an 06 Kawi, and drove away within 2 hours of arriving, on a Saturday. Financed by HD. Dealer knew, Massachusetts used to new trade in was covered automatically, by state law. I couldn't have gotten a binder on Saturday. I did have the sense to bring my policy with me. But, was never asked for it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I think the insurance laws are changing, depending on the state.

Case in point. I just bought a brand new truck. I got a loan from my bank, and was required to show insurance as usual, just as in the past for any other new vehicle that I purchased which required a loan. The bank that I got the loan from would also be listed as a "lien holder" on the title, until I paid off the entire loan.

However, this time was different. They sent me my title, and the bank is not listed as a lien holder. When I asked them about it, they told me that the regulations have changed. But they did mention that they would come and repo the vehicle if I defaulted on the loan. I'm in Florida. I don't get it!! LOL!!!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Were they both new vehicles? I bought a used car for my kid from a dealer. When I told them I'll call and get them the insurance info, they sales guy said they are only concerned with that on new vehicle purchases. I have no clue if he knew what he was talking about but I never had to show him insurance info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts