·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to check on an intake manifold leak on a 2010 96ci

·
Registered
91 Posts
My old tried and true method has always been a little shot of starting fluid with the straw on it, with the motor at idle just a small squirt in the suspected area. If you get an idle up there's a leak.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
My old tried and true method has always been a little shot of starting fluid with the straw on it, with the motor at idle just a small squirt in the suspected area. If you get an idle up there's a leak.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I use the same procedure with motor warm and stable at idle, but with WD-40. It will slow the motor instead of speeding it up like the starter fluid does. Spray directly at the top of each intake flange from the left side of the bike.

·
Registered
6,615 Posts
Both of the mention method work fine. What makes you think that the bike has a intake leak on the Throttle Body? To make sure you can remove and inspect the gaskets on the TB, it doesn't take long to remove the TB and put it back on. Where the TB attaches to the cylinder heads there is a rubber o-ring that is tapered and if the TB was removed before the o-rings may have been put on backwards which may create a poor seal, also when putting on the TB the o-ring may slip out of position which would cause a intake leak. HD wants the o-rings replaced whenever the TB is removed but I have used the same o-rings without a problem. There is also a vacum stem coming out of the top of the TB and it should have a rubber plug on it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heads

I had the heads of and replaced with S&S heads super stock I dont think they were decked the rubber o rings did not match the stock ones so I used the old ones

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I had the heads of and replaced with S&S heads super stock I dont think they were decked the rubber o rings did not match the stock ones so I used the old ones
What O-rings? The intake rubbers? I reuse them often and put a light coat of silicone grease on them to insure they don't hang up.

The intake manifolds have quite a bit of compliance in them and can handle at least .065" change from stock. (.050 mill and a .030" headgasket (-.015"))

Reminds of me trying to use milled heads with an older RamJett intake (no o rings) many years ago... pain in the ass to get that sized, but worked awesome. Of course that was when 90+hp evo's weren't common...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts