Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I have a 2022 RG 107 with the upgraded stereo that comes in the RG Special. I find the sound quality to be 1 step above an AM transistor radio, and looking to improve sound quality with a touch more power. I'd like to upgrade the sound system, but not sure what is involved. I'm guessing speakers and an amp? Not interested in speakers in the bags and what not.

I've added a 15" (might be 16") Freedom Shields windshield to the bike, and I found that alone improved the ability to hear the audio at a higher speed...it allowed me to hear audio up to around 60mph or so, but still, the sound quality is not good. Ultimately, it would be great to hear the audio at 80mph or so. I'm not looking to be obnoxiously loud, but I'm looking for good quality audio where I can raise the volume at speed to hear the audio.

I'm guessing going with the HD Stage 1, possibly Stage 2 would allow the easiest plug and play solution? I've read that the amp is normally stored in the saddlebag. I'm guessing there is a kit for this....also, is there an alternate place to store the amp besides the sadddlebag? Are there any other parts needed besides the speakers and amp?

Greatly appreciated!

· The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
13,489 Posts
@rauchman Take a look at Cicada Audio, Volunteer Audio, Sinister Audio, and Soundz Audio, in no specific order, if You are looking for an all-included plug-and-play kit.
Best of Luck!
Mike U.

· Registered
43 Posts
Been down this road, I spent a couple grand upgrading the system. While it was a huge improvement over stock, it still did not sound great at hiways speeds. The volume had to be so hi I am sure it would have led to hearing loss. Unless you go full system, meaning subs, bag speakers and lower speakers is not going to sound that good. I am sure someone will offer their experience that is all positive but this is what I experienced. I just bought a new 22 and will be leaving the sound system stock. I put the money into the suspension instead.

13,489 Posts
If One has the capabilities and time to piece together everything and install it then by all means have at it.
In My Honest Opinion for a Two Speaker and an Amplifier, You cannot go wrong with Ground Zero 6.5 Coaxials and Soundigital Amplifiers. You will also need Positive and Negative Battery Cables with an Inline Fuse for the Positive. New Speaker Wiring, for better sound or leave the OEM in. Cables to connect The Amplifier to The Stereo and either a "Flash" or Line Leveler to make everything sound correct.
I am sure I may have left something out or listed something incorrectly but You get the idea.
Do "The Math" and see how much You will save.
Best of Luck to All that are looking to upgrade Their Audio System.
Mike U.

· Registered
25 Posts
I’m in the same boat… shying away from the bags based on solo riding and not really wanting to cut into my bags. Been getting a lot of help/advice from everyone.

My take on it, based on feedback etc. is that for solo riding, I want to stick with the stock GTS (same you have) . I am going to go with upper and lowers to help give a fuller sound. Right now I am am about 80-90% sure I am going with one of the volunteer audio kits because I am going to do the install and they have the amps petuned, can rent or buy the flash, which means I can do everything myself and it looks like they really are taking out all the guesswork so I can install, flash the radio and I am done and that to me is huge.

· Registered
2021 RG special in Snake Venom
2,481 Posts
I’m in the same boat… shying away from the bags based on solo riding and not really wanting to cut into my bags. Been getting a lot of help/advice from everyone.

My take on it, based on feedback etc. is that for solo riding, I want to stick with the stock GTS (same you have) . I am going to go with upper and lowers to help give a fuller sound. Right now I am am about 80-90% sure I am going with one of the volunteer audio kits because I am going to do the install and they have the amps petuned, can rent or buy the flash, which means I can do everything myself and it looks like they really are taking out all the guesswork so I can install, flash the radio and I am done and that to me is huge.
I know this is a different thread, but you mentioned pre tuning. Larry sent me a DSP tune for my set up. Upload it to the DSP, via the app, and done. Sorry for taking the thread sideways!

Reactions: Mike U

13,489 Posts
You know that kid who runs out to the end of the diving board...thinks about it...and then retreats?...again and again? That's me with spending money on serious audio upgrades for the bike.
😆
Stop hesitating Kevin and jump in the deep end with both feet 😁
Mike U.

· Registered
2,481 Posts
You know that kid who runs out to the end of the diving board...thinks about it...and then retreats?...again and again? That's me with spending money on serious audio upgrades for the bike.
😆
WHat is it that has you hesitating on the audio?

· Premium Member
2,353 Posts
Stop hesitating Kevin and jump in the deep end with both feet 😁
Mike U.
WHat is it that has you hesitating on the audio?
1. I'm really critical of audio quality.
2. I have no way to hear and know exactly what I might be buying.
3. I have even less chance of knowing how it would sound at highway speed.
4. I am not good at gambling my money on something I 'might' really like.
and the biggest factor....
5. We ride 2-up with helmets, earplugs, comms and music via Sena units. The absolute unbelievable truth is we have never used the bike's external audio even once on a ride. I don't know if we ever would use even the best system on a ride.

I know, I know....just not right.

13,489 Posts
1. I'm really critical of audio quality.
2. I have no way to hear and know exactly what I might be buying.
3. I have even less chance of knowing how it would sound at highway speed.
4. I am not good at gambling my money on something I 'might' really like.
and the biggest factor....
5. We ride 2-up with helmets, earplugs, comms and music via Sena units. The absolute unbelievable truth is we have never used the bike's external audio even once on a ride. I don't know if we ever would use even the best system on a ride.

I know, I know....just not right.
Kevin if that’s the case no need to upgrade what You already have as long as You and The Mrs. are satisfied with it.
Mike U.

· Registered
2,481 Posts
I agree with Mike. Helmets and comms, no reason to.
As for sound quality, the DSP is the equalizer. You can make it sound just like you want, to a degree. Its not going to sound like a $20,000 home theater but it will sound good for sure.

· Premium Member
2,353 Posts
Thanks guys. I haven't ruled it out, but neither have I somehow become convinced that 'x' company's system wouldn't disappoint me. As terrible as this might seem, I would likely enjoy it the most while working on, tinkering with, or washing the bike. Or possibly it might get some action on certain rides...where it wouldn't be loud and obtrusive to others.

· Registered
3,127 Posts
shying away from the bags based on solo riding and not really wanting to cut into my bags.
Then get lids...I ordered lids, as I'm not sure on the extended bags I want yet.

· Registered
778 Posts
You're correct when you say Company X's system would disappoint you. Even if Company X is one of a short list of possibilities, it will come up short. Especially so if you're talking about the HD stuff. Either you're going to trust the word of the dudes here that have traveled your path or you wont. That's going to have to suffice for you 'hearing a system' if you can't find a rally to go ask to hear some systems.

Worry not, this will all be sitting here waiting for you when you're ready. Also as stated, if you're in a helmet and on comms, spending a bunch of audio money is kind of pointless.

· Premium Member
2,353 Posts
You're correct when you say Company X's system would disappoint you. Even if Company X is one of a short list of possibilities, it will come up short. Especially so if you're talking about the HD stuff. Either you're going to trust the word of the dudes here that have traveled your path or you wont. That's going to have to suffice for you 'hearing a system' if you can't find a rally to go ask to hear some systems.

Worry not, this will all be sitting here waiting for you when you're ready. Also as stated, if you're in a helmet and on comms, spending a bunch of audio money is kind of pointless.
Thanks. I'm not even remotely interested in anything audio from H-D.

· Registered
2022 Road Glide special in Redline Red
3 Posts
i know the feeling of not know if X was going to be good enough....you just have to trust this place i guess. Im in Canada and basically there is no one here that will talk anything other than RF kits. I dont want a RF kit and want something simple and better and ultimately cheaper. My last bike I used these forums and after multiple people suggested the same thing i bought it and was more than happy. was it the best out there, nope, but it worked great for me. this was 5 years ago and was a Sony HU/B52 amp and kappa speakers. the go to at the time. now lots and lots recommend SD amp and GZCF speakers. so I have found some deals and procured that equipment, solely based on the opinions of others. and although a very popular setup, i likely wont see another locally, and for the money Im spending or not, hoping its better than a kit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts