Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that long ago, I noticed that I was getting puffs of smoke out of the front cylinder tailpipe. I had my wife watch me as I took off from the house to see if it would smoke all the time or what. She had said that the only time that it would smoke is on decel and when I shifted gears. Well, it isn't smoking anymore. I did a leak down test on the front cylinder and that was at 2%. So what the he'll could that have been? Thanks.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Taking off from the house? If so, was it the first ride of the day? If so, that's a classic indication of leakage past the valve seals after sitting a while. Also, smoke on decel as well. Low combustion chamber pressures suck residual leakage into cylinder and get burned, then it goes away because the amount of leakage is not that much.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taking off from the house? If so, was it the first ride of the day? If so, that's a classic indication of leakage past the valve seals after sitting a while. Also, smoke on decel as well. Low combustion chamber pressures suck residual leakage into cylinder and get burned, then it goes away because the amount of leakage is not that much.
Yes, actually the bike sat for a little while, like a week or so before that ride. I just got done with a 2000 mile ride and it didn't smoke at all.

·
Registered
7,454 Posts
If your valve seals are bad you will see it right away when you start the bike after it been sitting overnight, there will be a big cloud of blue smoke.
Blue smoke is oil, Black smoke is fuel, you didn't mention what color the smoke was.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If your valve seals are bad you will see it right away when you start the bike after it been sitting overnight, there will be a big cloud of blue smoke.
Blue smoke is oil, Black smoke is fuel, you didn't mention what color the smoke was.
+1 on what Ironmark said.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.