Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2015 won't start intermittently. It happened for the first time in January of this. Then didn't happen again for a while. Now it's happening every week or two for the past couple months, becoming more frequent.

The bike will crank, but not fire. Sometimes the fuel pump will prime, sometimes it won't. I was supposed to leave to go ride Blue Ridge Pkwy this week, but Friday it didn't start when I was going to work. The fuel pump primed that time. My local stealer came and picked it up, but when they got there, it started of course. They diagnosed the battery being bad. I disagreed, but thought "they're the professionals". I got the bike yesterday, changed the battery and serviced all three holes last night. Then imleft it on a battery tender all night. I woke up this morning, got all my shit together, hopped on the bike and it just turned over... Over and over... Heated, I called the stealership. They sent a mechanic out to my house and of course the bike started when he got there. he just checked the battery again. The battery isn't the problem. He said tomorrow he'll drop off a new switch housing for the right side for me to install to see if it fixed the problem. I have some bars on there and my wires are extended, I don't really want to spend all day changing that control, it's a pita for sure. I took the dash apart and the right control apart and tried to move the wires around to see if I could get the bike to not start but it is starting every time now. I took the fuel line off, checked the orings on the quick disconnect, and the orings on the engine side of the fuel line. All good. I have never had a fuel leak either. When hooked the line up to the tank and turned on the ignition, I had I good strong stream of clean clear fuel.

Any ideas of advice will help.

I have been planning this trip for a month and I'm really upset that I'm unable to go. But, I impressed by the dealership customer service... I know it is really hard to troubleshoot an intermittent problem.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm having the same sort of problem with my son's WG. He has intermittent no start, no spark. Been f#$& around with it for almost a year!
Do you know if yours is a spark or fuel issue? Easy way to check is to carry a can of starting fluid, and when the problem presents itself, give it a sniff and see if it fires up. If it starts and dies, it's a fuel issue.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
Try new plugs.

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
My bike would do that once in awhile and all I needed to do was turn the ignition off/on and the bike would start up. I believe it was in the tuner I was using so I switched tuners and it never happened again.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My bike would do that once in awhile and all I needed to do was turn the ignition off/on and the bike would start up. I believe it was in the tuner I was using so I switched tuners and it never happened again.
The tuner is my #1 suspect. As soon as the problem presents itself again it's getting disconnected.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts