Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ‘17 RGU with a HD factory CB radio. I would like to eliminate the external antennas and go internal with both of them for a cleaner look, eliminate concern for getting them knocked off, easier to put cover on, yada. I see JMCorp has one that fits up to a ‘13 model, but not for a ‘17. Has anyone gone internal with antennas that fit the later models that you are happy with?

·
Registered
260 Posts
My experience only;

Hidden A.M./FM Harley Antenna. I was not pleased with it. I felt I lost too much signal by having the antenna inside the fairing. I also have a Soubdstream amp in the fairing which may have affected the antenna as well. I removed it and went back to the mast.

Hidden J&M CB antenna. I installed one in a friend’s CVO Street Glide. He wanted the clean look. It worked well for getting transmission out but only to riders in front of the bike. If you rode behind him, you got nothing. I removed the hidden antenna for him and we both ended up installing Firestick antennas. I borrowed an antenna tuner from work and dialed them in. We get get range now. Very pleased. Not the look I was going after initially, but we can hear each other.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have my shorty antenna from my tourpak along with an adapter and coiled cable inside my fairing.Little to no decline in reception :) I have it ty-wrapped along the top of the radio.I don't see why you couldn't do roughly the same thing with a later bike.

·
Registered
204 Posts
+1 for the Stubby Antennae! I have it on my new RGS and I have had them on the old FLHTK (CB and AM/FM) as well as my older Street Glide. Worked just as well as stock. $25 bucks and if you don't like it you can return it for free.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
My experience has been that the antenna setup that worked best was stock or shorty antenna mounted on a tour-pak. My 2015 Special reception was significantly less with the stock antenna. The Harley hidden antenna works just as well as the stocker on my '15 FLTRXS, once it was plugged in all the way.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m seeing these “Stubby’s” can be found at both Walmart and Autozone. Did you use the same antenna for the CB and the radio? I’m running Harley “Shorty’s” for both now, I don’t know if they are functionally different, but the CB antenna does have CB molded into the cover at the bottom, and I think the radio one had AM/FM on it. I just can’t imagine these two working as well, but if I don’t find anything that will convert both to internal, I might try them knowing I can take them back.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I’m seeing these “Stubby’s” can be found at both Walmart and Autozone. Did you use the same antenna for the CB and the radio? I’m running Harley “Shorty’s” for both now, I don’t know if they are functionally different, but the CB antenna does have CB molded into the cover at the bottom, and I think the radio one had AM/FM on it. I just can’t imagine these two working as well, but if I don’t find anything that will convert both to internal, I might try them knowing I can take them back.
The website I bought mine from was Cravenspeed.com and I had two of them on the tourpack of my FLHTK. Had no issues with CB or AM/FM. Their site says they don't recommend use for the CB but I had no issues with it. The ability to try them and return them if they don't work is why I bought them. Every Harley I have has one on it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have a ‘17 RGU with a HD factory CB radio. I would like to eliminate the external antennas and go internal with both of them for a cleaner look, eliminate concern for getting them knocked off, easier to put cover on, yada. I see JMCorp has one that fits up to a ‘13 model, but not for a ‘17. Has anyone gone internal with antennas that fit the later models that you are happy with?
I own an RGU 2017 with M8 and I put the detachable Kit for the Tour Pack. This kit included the internal antenna. I must say that I am very happy with it. No issues at all. No way back to have one of those old fashion antennas. The internal one should come from factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The website I bought mine from was Cravenspeed.com and I had two of them on the tourpack of my FLHTK. Had no issues with CB or AM/FM. Their site says they don't recommend use for the CB but I had no issues with it. The ability to try them and return them if they don't work is why I bought them. Every Harley I have has one on it.
I've got the 4" RG antenna ordered from Cravenspeed, should come in tomorrow. They were running a 20% off sale the other day, couldn't pass it up. I was looking because the stock antenna hits my luggage rack and, while not that big of a deal, I would prefer that it doesn't. I don't listen to the radio much, added BT to my '10 FLTRX earlier this year and typically listen to music, SiriusXM, or podcasts off my phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts